Sign in to follow this  
hitter439

Would you migrate to FSX with a new PC?

For me it would not be so much as a "migration" as it would be an "integration". Right now I'm tucking away $100 a week for a year for THE new system I plan to build. I am about half-way there. :( By then Windows 7 will be out and I'll add FSX then. It's sitting quietly on my shelf just waiting for the day. But I just recently bought a 2nd copy of FS2004 at Fry's for 20 bucks as a back-up. I was surprised to see new stacks of FS9 sitting on the shelves there.Like many here I would run both concurrently for specific needs. A lot different than when I dropped FS2002 the instant FS2004 came out. Now I will bide my time. I am in no hurry as I enjoy the flying more than the tweaking.Clutch"Fly the Tak... relive the memory"

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

My present PC is quite good, not top notch but I appreciate its performance.To be honest, even if someone offered me a generous gift of the best PC available at the moment, I wouldn't switch to FSX.Since for me its low performance is not at all the main reason of staying with FS9.It just hasn't brought anything I had expected (except for higher ground texture resolution).So after buying tens of addons and spending thousands of euro on sceneries, aircraft, utilities and hardware controllers, I am enjoying my FS9 at its full glory.But there is still room for some more great FS9 sceneries and planes so my credit card will support developers of FS9 addons.As simple as that.

Yes. I would and want to. But I agree with one of the earlier posters in that I still keep both on my desktop. I have a 8800GT with 3GB RAM and Core2 Duo and it ran fine with 90% AI traffic and Mid-High graphics, but I had to turn off some of the features that make FSX different to FS9. I'm very pleased with how it runs. I played it as often as I was able.I like them both, but FS9 run so much smother and I have bought so many add-ons for FS9 that it makes it hard to leave. When I can get a new motherboard to use my GPU's PCIexpress 2.0 and the desktop overseas with me I will definitely lean more on FSX, but for now it is smooth and happy sailing with FS9.....this is starting to mirror the XP vs. Vista/7 upgrading debate, lol

Hi,Guess it depends on the results I get from my new system. I just purchased the following and will begin building over the weekend. 1. I7 975 Processor (Going to overclock to 4+ghz)2. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard3. BFG GTX 285 Nvidia Video Board (Pre Over Clocked, Core Clock: 702MHz / Memory Data Rate: 2664MHz)4. 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 Memory 2000mhz (7-8-7-20)5. 3 - 10,000 RPM SATA Hard Drives6. Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS7. Enermax Galaxy 1000 Watt Power Supply8. 1 - Sony DVD D/L Burner9. 1 - ASUS DVD D/L Burner10. Antec 1200 Full Tower11. Prolima Megahalems heatsink (with 2 Thermalright TR-FDB-12-1600rpm fans)I have all the parts, just waiting on the CPU which should be here no latter than Friday.If performance is satisfactory, I will move to FSX. If not, FS9/2004 will be incredible...Its amazing how much money I just keep throwing at Flight Simulation. I'm surprised my wife hasn't said anything yet. :(

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Guest self64

Simply, with my actual hardware, I could never get from FSX the stunning performances I get with my current FS9 installation (addon airports, a/c, mesh and landclass sceneries, AI, 100% maxed out display settings, and so on and so on........)All in all, after the ACES firing, I have time enough to get an 'FSX-wise' hardware, there's no actual 'risk' for FSX to be overrun by the next FS........ :(

Guest DAH4062

Mike_CFII_MEL, I don't think you will have too many problems. It seems that your new rig will blast mine into the middle of next week (annoying since I spent $2000 on it :( ), and I can run FSX at reasonable fps with most settings on a very high level. Congratulations, and enjoy.BTW, where can I find hardware tweaking tips? I'm sure my PC has the potential to run FSX a lot better..

Would you migrate to FSX with a new PC?
No. It's a myth that performance is the only thing holding us FS Niners back. I already have the new PC and there's just nothing in FSX that interests me, that I don't already have in FS9. I have invested a lot of time and money in FS9 and it's running like a charm. Why would I switch to the disappointment that is FSX and start all over again?!Nope, FS9 is my sim, looking forward to Aerosoft's SDK open sim though.

Mike...

Guest SebGevers
No. It's a myth that performance is the only thing holding us FS Niners back. I already have the new PC and there's just nothing in FSX that interests me, that I don't already have in FS9. I have invested a lot of time and money in FS9 and it's running like a charm. Why would I switch to the disappointment that is FSX and start all over again?!Nope, FS9 is my sim, looking forward to Aerosoft's SDK open sim though.
Echo that completely. Just when i've spent years and years of tweaking fs9.cfg and investing in hardware to get it working the way i personally find acceptable, i have FS9 exactly where I want it. All my fave-addons work tip-top and flying has never been this good. Why go through all that again ..?I borrowed FSX from my local library the other week, installed it and found it visually stunning, but more akin to a powerpoint presentation than a flight sim. While I can tweak away to my hearts content to get it working, i just cant be bothered to be honest - i've become tweak-wary. //s