Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilipManwaring

777-200 "V2+10"

Hi Everyone!I watched that great "United 777-200" Video that's been out for a while and tried to notice everything the captain did so as to be able to fly the 772 more realistically in FS2000/02, etc. Thing is, I noticed in "some" 777-200 manuals that come with the 772, that they are using "V2+10" for after takeoff speeds, as per the FMC setup page. Now, in the video, which I watched very carefully at least 7 times, the captain sets the IAS speed in the MCP to only the "V2" setting as derived from his FMC. What is going on here? The usage of V2+10 seems a safer way to go, for initial climb out speed, NO? Yet this real life flight used only "V2" in the IAS on the Mode Control Panel. This makes me wonder if, on some 777's, that things have changed a bit in the real world, OR we as 777-200 sim pilot's have got it all wrong! OR, there is the possibility that there are TWO ways of setting this critical speed. OR possibly, some 777's have different software that has eliminated the usage of the "+10" part, and therefore made it easier to set this speed. Has anyone seen this difference? :(Thank You very much in advance.Al Whitney - Bacal Aircraft Lab :-wave

Hello Al!I believe that the FMC already spits out the V2 + 10 speed automatically when it calculates V2 based on weight, atmospherics, etc... Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest Mark McG

Hi,V2+XX is the recommended initial climb speed up to the flpa retraction altitude. XX normally ranges from 10-25.V2 is set on the MCP, as V2 is the minimum speed for an engine out scenario. Therefore the pilot knows the minimum speed and the Flight Director will provide data for this if an engine fails on take off.The FD will command an initial pitch to the V2+XX position.

Guest PhilipManwaring

Uhh .. where does one get this video? Sounds very interesting.

Guest Maul

It's available in DVD and video I believe. I got it from PC Aviator, but I think you can get it from other places too. It's a great video, but I wish the ATC and pilot voices were a bit more clear. I still give it five stars though!EricArea51 (When It Arrives...)Intel

Guest Martin

In the 767 (at least), V2 is always set on the MCP because the F/D uses the MCP speed as V2 for the F/D commands during takeoff. So if V2 is, say, 150 KIAS, and 150 knots is set in the MCP SPD window, the F/D will command for V2+15 (or liftoff speed +15, whichever is higher), i.e. 150 + 15 = 165 KIAS.If V2+15 (165) were already set in the FMC, the F/D would command a V2+15+15 climb, i.e. 165 + 15 = 180 KIAS.I don't know if the 777 works the same though - I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit smarter and can pick the correct speeds itself. :-)Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Hi All,Gee Thank You VERY Much for the great replies to my post! I am starting to get the impression that it "might be" captains discretion as to whether or not to use V2+xx or not use any extra climb speed, and just use "V2" alone. The video I watched, "United 777-200" came from Flight Sim Central. Found out one sad thing thou about these videos. The manufacturer of them makes a "run" of them and when they are all sold, DOES NOT make any more!! Do you believe this! SOooo, if you're even slightly thinking you might like a certain video somewhere down the road, just get it NOW! It might not be available later. Hummmm, a lot of videos are like this.Again, Thanks! ;-)Al Whitney - Bacal Aircraft Lab

Videos are nice but what you want are some SOPs or Training Manuals, and if you can find some CBTs, which will help learn all the good stuff.[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith[/h5][h6]Are You Ready For The Next Great one? PMDG's 737NG is almost here![/h6][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3] [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG @ 215/545|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]

Guest PhilipManwaring

Thanks guys - I'll check it out.

Hi all... I fly dc-10s and our flight manual recommends v2+10. Just as stated before the v2 speed is basicly a engine out speed. On a 400k kc-10 with flaps/slats at 5/ext v2 equals 172. V2 + 10 will be 182. The pitch required to maintain these 2 speeds would be around v2=13 engine out and v2+10=18. Our normal max pitch in the dc-10 for take-off is about 20 degrees. 22 degrees in and out of stick shaker is available for emergencies to get away from the ground. Now if you had all engines running and you tried to climb at v2 it would require alot more pitch at light wieghts to prevent the plane from speeding past v2. That pitch would probably exceed recommended max pitch. And if you held that pitch and lost an engine then you would risk stalling for sure. So its safer to climb at v2+xx. it would require less pitch. v2 goes into the speed window and the flight director will command the appropiate speed all engines or engine out like said before.