Sign in to follow this  
Guest crashing_pilot

Payware vs Freeware

Hello,I am a reasonablly new sim flier (about 6 months). I am not a real pilot and have no ambition to be one. When I started to use my MS2002 Sim I added parts that seemed to me to make up important parts of real flying - yoke, pedals, and a GoFlite system that emulates switches, buttons, radios and an autopilot. I have worked pretty hard to get the procedures down. Flight planning with Terminal Procedures and Flight plan tools. I don't import flight plans into GPS's. If there is no way to enter them into the system, I try to fly VOR, etc.My post is of great interest to me - I use almost all payware aircraft. Planes such as DF Archer, Cardinal, 737 400, Flite 1 Meridian, Ready for Pushback (747) and Iron Knuckes (DC9). I am also trying to learn to fly my CS 727 (little electronics). When I try to use freeware, I get what looks OK on the outside, probably is a great model, but does not have the "inside bells and whistles" that are teaching me procedures and processes that emulate the real thing. Flying a 737-400 freeware may be fine as a model, but programming the FMC and the approaches on the DF 737 400 is a real challenge! My Meridian is awesome to fly and program (Garmin). I do use some freeware to learn to takeoff and land (Meljet 777).I would really like to hear from others as to how they use freeware to get "deeply" into the cockpit and hands on of the flying experience.Thanks,Ron Sagel

I think many of us just aren't into all the programming and button-pushing associated with some of the more complex add-ons. In my case, I flew the real thing(s) for many years and never used a GPS unit nor an FMC. And never flew anything without a propeller. Of course, it was almost 50 years ago when I got started so that may explain some of it :-) . I own most all the recent add-ons and have found using the complex panels/cockpits to be instructive but they don't add all that much for me. And what the aircraft looks like from the outside is really of minor importance. It doesn't take much with MSFS to get fairly deeply into flying techniques. All you basically need is a well-modeled aircraft (or not-so-well if one isn't too picky), a runway, and some sky. In fact, the default Cessnas will probably take most folks further into flying techniques and instrument procedures than they want, or need, to go (after all, it's just a game :-) . Overall, I can get just as much of the MSFS experience from simple freeware as from complex payware. There are really only two things that make flying exciting for me - the incredible sense of freedom and the best views in the world - and all the payware around can't add those back into the equation.Trip

Guest tascaso

I agree with trip. The complex payware is fun but its all procedures and with the big heavies it is very time consuming. I try to stick to the twin turbine short routes or just sightseeing. There is tons of beautiful scenery (Freeware and Payware) out there to be explored. Bill Melichor is one creator and he will keep you very busy flying all over his beautiful creations. Again, nowadays there is something for everybody in MSFS.Tony

Guest ha5mvo

Well Ron, Obviously it depends what freeware u r using as they may differ substentially in terms of complexity.With add-ons becoming more and more sofistiacated (and indeed with us 'consumers' becoming more and more demanding and spoilt) the task of creating add-ons that match those you mentioned will require great effort. Unfortunately too great for one person to accomplish.Still, there are some freeware packages that do match - and surpass payware stuff (e.g O.Frolovs dash-8, B.Grabawsky's ERJ-145, and many others).So, if one wants quality, one should be ready to pay for it, and be VERY VERY thankful to those who are ready to hand it as a gift.My 2c//Mike

Guest ha5mvo

Hi Tony!Did a search for Bill Melichor in the file library as well as with google and came up with nothing.Can you please tell me what he made and where to get it?Thanx//Mike*edit* spelling

Guest oyvindhansen

>Hi Tony!>Did a search for Bill Melichor in the file library as well as>with google and came up with nothing.>Can you please tell me what he made and where to get it?>>ThanxTry Bill Melichar...- Oyvind

Guest ha5mvo

Hey Oyvind!got it now... :)Takk ska du ha//Mike

Guest crashing_pilot

yeah,those commanders are awesome...and you haven't flown real if you haven't flown the dash 7 into a tiny tiny airport...i'm only flying freeware now,dash 7,commander,and hjg dc8/cv580,harald nehring's A310...great stuff,and the best part?...all that GREAT stuff is FREE!!!!

Guest Boone

I have found the 'cream of the crop' to be a mixure of both. Recently, Iron Knuckles DC-9 has added an element of realism that has not been matched by any other add on in terms of challenging flight. With no FMS or GPS, restricted auto-pilot, everything from CPU to cabin pressurization procedures to follow, not to mention flight dynamics that feel accurate. It has been a refresher course in big iron and how flying these beauties might be.On the other hand, freeware add ons like the Falcon 50 and the YS-11 are of equal quality to payware products offering that added, and often missing, element of challenge. There are also some great models available for free, PA and Project Airbus for example, but without accurate panels they don't seem to provide that extra element of 'feeling reel'. Many people match them up with pay ware panels which kind of defeats the purpose.That said, PSS offer the best of both, with excellent FMS that really can't be beat by anything freeware.If we had freeware panels of an equal quality to freeware models and dynamics then there would be far less of a payware market.Just my two 'cent' (As they should say in the Euro-zone!)Best, Boone

Guest Marvel

hifor me I admit that once I've tasted the complexity of payware panels it's difficult to come back to fly freeware ones, except a very good ones ofcause. For aircrafts panels, payware is still unbeatable. For visual models and flight dynamics many freewares are equally good as paywares, so I often fly them merged with payware panels. For the next payware, I'm really looking forward to SSW Airbus A310-300 (www.simsoftworkshop.com)