Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Older Sims

Alright, I have to ask. Let me start by saying this is a two part question. 1. I've noticed allot of addons still being made for FS98. Are that many people still using FS98? 2. How many of you upgrade each time a new sim comes out? Obviously to each his own, I was just curious.

Guest crashing_pilot

don't know exactly,but i think a lot of people are still on fs2k or fs98.i myself did get fs2k2 a year after it was out,because of hardware issues...but i've promised myself one thing:as soon as fs2004 is in the stores,one copy will be out again real soon ;-)

Guest Max Cowgill

interesting quetion... I always say I'll buy the new sim when it's released but I never seem to. I always end up waiting at least a couple months before I get around to purchasing and installing the new sim. I do plan on getting fs2k4 as soon as it's released but, once again, I say that every time a new version of msfs is released so take that with a grain of salt.-Max Cowgill

Through the life of FS2000 I was using FS98 almost exclusively because it was really fluid and I had it all souped up with FSTraffic and so on. FS2000 had a better feel to it, but it was really a slide show on my computer at the time. I got FS2002 pretty soon after it was released and I haven't looked back since. It really was a huge step for the sim -- hopefully the new one will be as much or more of an improvement! I'm eager to try it.Anyways, I've noticed all those FS98 uploads too. Apparently FS98 is alive and well!All the best,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ_CRT.jpg

Guest Lindy

I never purchased any version of FS until this one (FS2K2). I still use Fly!2. Unless I hear or read about some really terrific, gotta have improvement in the next version over FS2K2, I expect to continue with 2K2 until the next version (after FS2K4) is offered.I'm rather gratified to see that there are still addons for FS98 and FS2K. Hopefully sceneries will continue to be offered for 2K2 as well, albeit at a slower pace.-Lindy :-wave

Guest outtatimeiii

I am using FS2002 as my primary sim but I still like to use older FS's just for fun. I have FS4.0 on my old IBM XT (AMD D8088 4.77MHz) and for how old that computer is, it knocks off a respectable 4fps in CGA mode (3D on a computer made in 1984 at 4fps is GREAT). I occasionally use FS98 mainly because 100+ fps is on a bad day :) . It is also attractive because of its small size, only needs 150-200MB (Compared to my 10GB of FS2002 files, 200MB is nothing LOL).I'm happy with FS2002, not really in a hurry to go to FS2004. Visuals look great, but I really dont want to upgrade my comp just for that.

FS2002 is the sim I use most of the time but I do occasionally get FS98 out of the box and dust it down.I will not be upgrading to FS2004 when it comes out. Each new version of the sim usually needs a hardware upgrade to run properly and this means more money has to be spent. Then the various addons that I have need to be upgraded to take advantage of the enhancements in the latest sim and that means more money as well.I don't have an unlimited pot of gold and it won't be that long before I reach retirement age. Then I won't have as much money available as I have right now.What I plan to do is this. FS2002 continues to give me a great deal of enjoyment and I have decided to try my hand at designing so that I can enhance some of the lesser endowed airfields in FS2002 and maybe create an aircraft in due course. So I've acquired FSDS, GMax, Nova and Airport for Windows - they should keep me occupied for a little while :-)And if that isn't enough I can always take comfort from the fact that FS2002 has tons more eye candy than any commercial simulator.David

I never look back. I started with 98 late and only used it about 2 months prior to 2k coming out. That was my first computer. Then I upgraded computers with the release of 2k2. This year I plan on just upgrading the 3d card. Plan on buying the Gforce FX 5900 ultra. Better spending $500 as to $3000 which is what I paid for this system 2 years ago which was top line (P4 2 gig, 80 gig hd, Gforce 3 64ram, 512 ram) Figured that it really only needs a new card to help the sim since I've had no problems with almost max settings on the current setup. Dont plan on buying a new computer til 3.06 hyper-thread is mid range. From what I understand after that your just paying for idle time and since I dont run heavy duty programs or applications that should be plenty enough power. Kilstorm

I still fly FS98 simply because I bought a San Diego satellite scenery add-on that has no equal (well execpt the L.A. scenery add-on for Fly 2). This scenery is so accurate that I can pick out my own house. This scenery will work with FS2002 but not as well as with FS98 for which it was designed. I fly FS2002 most of the time but when I only have time for a few "touch and go's" I bring up FS98 and fly around San Diego.Sskoup

Guest theo

I know a few people who still have fs98!They refuse 2 upgrade because"Its a waste of money"? I got fs2002 as soon as I could and when fs2004 hits the shelves I will make shure im first in line!:-outtaThanxTheo, Sunny South Africa :-sun1

I have just stepped up to 2002 - mainly because of the cost of anew set of hardware to run it.Sounds like it is still possible to run my large library of FS98 scenery in 2002 - is this right ?? Does it install the same way ??Regards,DBee

DBee,In the case of my San Diego scenery there was a patch (provided by the author) to the ".bgl" file and also the use of the "flatten" and "exclude" switches in order to get it to run with FS2002. As far as any other FS98 scenery add-on's I don't know.Sskoup

I never bought FS2000 because of the low framerate people were getting. I stayed with FS98. However, since I bought FS2002, I've never played FS98. I plan on selling my copy of FS2002 when CoF comes out.The only older sim I play is Flight Unlimited III. Still a great sim.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP