Sign in to follow this  
Guest Totalbeginner

MD11 freezes in FSX

Guest kirk7312

I figured what is the problem I have. I think, in my case, memory is the key. I lowered the traffic and some another setting in the fsx. Now it seems it works fine on my system so far.You can try to do it. Maybe it will be helpful.But the way, MD-11 really is a memory monster....

I figured what is the problem I have. I think, in my case, memory is the key. I lowered the traffic and some another setting in the fsx. Now it seems it works fine on my system so far.You can try to do it. Maybe it will be helpful.But the way, MD-11 really is a memory monster....
I agree. It is memory related problem. It happens to me all the time at various stages of the flight. I mean no specific point of the flight.This is what I do. I minimize the simulator immeditely the moment it freezes up.I go to task manager (Control+Alt+Del)Close all unnecessary Apps. and processesFSX should have more than 1GB of memory for MD11 to work smoothlyI noticed that FSX freezes up at memory less than 1GB (not just MD11. I have encountered that with LDS763 as well)I go back to FSX and resume the flight with no incidentI have Windows Vista 64BitNvidiea 1 Gb memory7i dual core processor6 Gb RAMGo figure.It has been pointed out that FSX is a 32bit application and does not matter how much memory you have above 3GB.It has also been pointed out that there is a free utility called Game booster that closes out all background applications before starting FSX to maximize the memory available to FSX.Bill Hagag

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

Hello,I have this kind of problem too. However I personally disagree with the memory problem thing.This is my config :ASUS N51VF-SX055CIntel Core2 Duo T9550 @ 2x 2.66 Ghz, 6 MB L2-Cache, FSB1066RAM : 2x 2048 mb DDR2-800Nvidia GeForce GT 130M - 1024 mb GDDR memoryVista 32 SP2OK this is not a race horse but it does the job. It works actually pretty good with all kind of airplanes, sceneries, missions, etc... including the PMDG MD-11.I have been trying for weeks now on different locations in different situations with different settings. The only times the MD-11 makes FSX crash is when I enter a new destination airport in flight (F-PLN/select one of the next wp/NEW DEST). I don't have any problem during take off, landing, with SID's or STARS or even with DIR INTC. The only problem is the NEW DEST ! It crashes in about 92% of the cases no matter the settings or the situation.I was thinking about paying to buy a 64 bits license of Vista in order to get full usage of the memory but I just did the following test and don't really like the result :- Vista reduced to a memory usage of in any cases less than 650 mo (using Game Booster)- FSX graphic settings all unchecked or on minimum without any exception.- Flight plan from EHAM to EGLL, take off...- on a stable climb, FL200 after passing EHRD, 2d cockpit...- Laptop globally cold, CPU around 50

Please add your full name to posts in this forum.

Dan Downs KCRP

Please add your full name to posts in this forum.
Ooops.. I'm sorry. Too late now to edit.R

Regis, if it is reproduceable, please provide the information someone not looking over your shoulder needs to reproduce the crash.There's been several (not many) posts in the past where the route reprogramming was suspect. However, we always seemed to find a way around the problem through a better understanding of the FMS. So, pass forward the details please.

Dan Downs KCRP

Regis, if it is reproduceable, please provide the information someone not looking over your shoulder needs to reproduce the crash.There's been several (not many) posts in the past where the route reprogramming was suspect. However, we always seemed to find a way around the problem through a better understanding of the FMS. So, pass forward the details please.
Dan,Is it possible for you to source the suspect route programming you reference as it pertains to FSX freezes? I might have missed that one. In my case, the MD11 is dicey at best with DIR INTC button manipulation around terminal airspace in build 0055. As Ive previously mentioned, the problem does not exist in 0051. Looking into the revision changes, I see: "3. Fixed CTD issues with airports that had a very large number of SID/STAR procedures (e.g.LFPG in AIRAC-0901 that includes 159 SIDs)."It seems that .0055 contains some modifications in the manner in which the FMS processes terminal data.

Ryan Kelly

It'd take me as long to do the search as you. As I recall, some have had problems trying to LAT REV from the destination instead of a fix prior to the destination; the rare CTD shouldn't happen but will I guess in some circumstances.The SID fix only increased the space capacity for number of procedures. Don't think anyone has provided information that there is a problem with DIR INTC method in termial airspace. Got a specific problem?

Dan Downs KCRP

It'd take me as long to do the search as you. As I recall, some have had problems trying to LAT REV from the destination instead of a fix prior to the destination; the rare CTD shouldn't happen but will I guess in some circumstances.The SID fix only increased the space capacity for number of procedures. Don't think anyone has provided information that there is a problem with DIR INTC method in termial airspace. Got a specific problem?
Dan,I was beginning to think that my FMS programming skills somehow deteriorated after ver 1.20.0051. Glad to know that the LAT REV issue hasn't presented itself to my system. Yep, my problem is chronicled here http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=247155&hl=I had high hopes that upgrading the Direct X & Airac had cured the FSX freezes, but unfortunately it has not. My DIR INTC issues are similar to user thread originator Martin's. However, in attempting to isolate the problem, the DIR INTC freeze only occurs with the SIDSTAR folder populated running the latest build.I have emailed support@precisionmanuals.com as per Paul's request & have received zero correspondence.

Ryan Kelly

You reported in that thread that DX10 was the culprit, apparently it went away and has returned.Are you still experience a problem on KDAL departure? Is it repeatable? What is the runway, departure and route for this flight if reproduceable?

Dan Downs KCRP

You reported in that thread that DX10 was the culprit, apparently it went away and has returned.Are you still experience a problem on KDAL departure? Is it repeatable? What is the runway, departure and route for this flight if reproduceable?
Dan I use XP64, I evacuated from DX10 a while ago. I recall mentioning an upgrade to the latest version of DX9c though. It was thought to have solved my issues, but alas here I am.Well, the issues certainly aren't specific to Dallas Love or any other airport really. However I can almost always generate the FSX freeze from launching 13R at DAL and using the DIR INTC feature to join the 17C localizer at DFW. The freeze occurs at the point the FMS is executed to created the extended approach course line. I know I'm not alone in reporting this problem. The executable is from the 1.20.0051 Combo at which point I use the .0055 patch to bring it up to the current version. I'm unaware that the installers would be different from the non combo ones, but though it might be worth mentioning. Perhaps I can get my hands on the unified 1.20.0055 installer to see if this helps? I fly with the 0051 version without issue FWIW. Although this is similar to going to Baskin Robbins 31 flavors and ordering the sorbet if you know what I mean:)

Ryan Kelly

Is this correct: You select RNW 13R at KDAL for departure, no SID, no enroute route, and you select arrival ILS17C at KDFW, no STAR, and you get a CTD when DIR INTC the FAF JIFFY?

Dan Downs KCRP

Is this correct: You select RNW 13R at KDAL for departure, no SID, no enroute route, and you select arrival ILS17C at KDFW, no STAR, and you get a CTD when DIR INTC the FAF JIFFY?
Yes the above scenario would almost certainly generate a FSX freeze.

Ryan Kelly

Try adding an enroute fix, such as TTT, then select the arrival with LAT REV from TTT. You can always go direct to the FAF without flying to TTT but it will get you around the CTD.

Dan Downs KCRP

Try adding an enroute fix, such as TTT, then select the arrival with LAT REV from TTT. You can always go direct to the FAF without flying to TTT but it will get you around the CTD.
Yes that is certainly a workaround. I have several others, such as manually deleting enroute or terminal fixes until properly sequenced into magenta. However there are times when, gosh darn it, I need to use that DIR INTC feature. Oh I almost forgot to mention one other not so minuscule detail: my issues dont always cause a freeze during a course intercept command. Sometimes, just a plain ole garden variety DIR command will cause trouble. When using build 0055 I made every effort possible to avoid that button as if it were the Bubonic plague.

Ryan Kelly