Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Correct way to fly into Palm Springs, CA.?

I love flying from KLAX to KPSP with a Lear or Turboprop. However, the mountains close to the airport pose a tremendous danger and make landing difficult. It is especially difficult when weather is a factor. What is the correct heading and changes in heading PLUS the proper APPROACH to Palm Springs. How is it done in real life? Also, what are the appropriate altitude changes coming from LA. Is there no ILS for this airport? I find that hard to believe. I don't see one listed in MSFS.Look forward to reading how you "pros" do it! Stan

Guest WorkingStiff

Interestingly enough, I flew this route twice last night in the PSS Dash 8-300. I flew the VOR approach and landed on runway 31L.It would be worthwhile to get the approach procedures for KPSP. I guessing you don't have access to either Jeppesen JeppView or Jeppesen Simcharts but you can find lots of resources on how to acquire these procedures at http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search.Try the www.myairplane.com site first; just type in KPSP and you'll get access to the approach plate. Then for detailed instructions you can check out http://www.laartcc.org/sop/sop_pspapp.htm

Head over to Clearance Unlimited (www.clearanceunlimited.com) - they have IAPs, STARs, DPs, for just about all of the US, as well as J and V routes.

When I flew as a passenger into Palm Springs, the pilot made a descending circle between the mountains to make his approach to the airport. Takeoff required the same circe method to gain altitude to get over the mountains.Ray

Thanks for the good info. I see there's a file available in library to create an imaginary ILS for Palm Springs. kpsp_ils.zip How coincidental that such a file would appear as I ask this question. I think I'll try that a turn up the weather. Stan