Sign in to follow this  
Guest Claviateur

TAXI behavior - which model is the best?

Hey Guys!:-wave :-wave :-waveMe as a realistic-nut am trying to find out which FS aircraft currently offers the most realistic taxiing behavoir? I currently hav all famous addons from the PSS series :-erks :-bigangel , PIC767, up to DC9 IK to the Meridian, also RFP742 and CS727...Anybody out there feeling wishless with any airfile concerning taxi behavoir?Let me know, i

Much has to do with limitations of your hardware. Does the simmer have rudder pedals? The "tiller" of a large aircraft is tough to replicate in the sim, as well as using differential power of engines to help in the turn. Differential braking can be done with keys, if you don't have pedals with brakes, but it's not exactly realistic.Personally,...... rudder pedals are a "must have" as far as I'm concerned. Using twist grips or keys for turning seems to squirrly and dosn't often reflect the way the model is actually designed.L.Adamson

Hey Mr. Adamson!Of course I forgot about the most important variable, the pedals as you mentioned... I currently us CH Flight Sim Yoke PC and crappy gameport CH pedals (even if the USB version has toe brake option...).I suggest that without pedals you may never find out how to taxi correctly...Up for a new one!Greetsalexos

Guest Claviateur

Hi,To get a "realistic" taxi behavior is FS2002 is a big compromise. In the actual Flight Dynamic file structure, the rudder pedals have the same value as the nose gear. That means the only way to control a nose gear either in a Cessna or a 747 in FS2002(or previous versions)is only possible with the rudder pedals or rudder assigned keyboard keys... This is why some flight dynamic designers try to make an aircraft more controlable on the ground but by doing so they sacrifice the rudder behavior in the air and therefore it becomes very sloppy in terms of yaw factor and rudder response while flying. The opposite scenario is also happening, other designers prefer to give it a convincing and stable rudder factor in the air but by doing that it becomes very stiffy on the ground ( and good luck for the turns :)Now the only way to solve this is in the hands of MS FS coders. By adding a section in the Air file and aircraft.cfg for the nose gear and making it independant form the rudder, therefore with different assignable keys and controls, the whole thing would be better and more realistic. The reason the rudder value is linked to the nose gear comes from the older FS versions where the Cessna was the main aircraft in the sim and as you know the Cessna nose gear is controlled by the rudder. But things changed and now I think we need a seperate Air file value for the nose gear indeed...You know I was looking at those E3 screenshots from avsim library last day and at my biggest surprise I noticed that MS added a Payload menu option like the fuel one. That feature was one of my suggestions even thouhg I believe many other suggested it as well. Anyways my other suggestion was the addition of a seperate Air file value for the nose gear. And I hope the later one was added to FS2004 as well!!!!!CheersMichel

Michel,I totally agree with your demand for another section within the airfile, though I doubt that MS will bother 'bout that too much, since I anticipate FS2004 will be more eye-candy than technical correctness; BUT - I don

Guest Claviateur

Actually I have no specific model in mind to tell you about, I rarely see good behaving a/c on the ground as most of them are focused on fixing the rudder for the air maneuvres. I believe you must check out for Steve Small Air files. I do not know if they are still somewhere for download but certainly not on avsim.com, you might want to check flightsim.com. As for the PIC taximod this is the first time I hear about it. Great idea they had. And I think MS can add the section without allot of troubles. It should not be too problematic for them ;)Michel