Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG J41 Night lighting preview and other tid-bits...

Oh, dear God. Another thread morphs into a "what do we want from PMDG" bore-fest. Someone lock it - we've been here more times than I care to remember.

I just wanna get my grubby hands on the J41. I could care less about the Dash which is a good year away.By the way PMDGers, hows Beta going anyway?JB

Good question - Hopefully they are in Beta yet, Robert says he will show us soem goodies of the J41 when they started Beta :)

doubtful...they ususally announce it. Good for business.-peter

Peter Osborn

Funny you call it a beauty.....No offense, but this is one ugly airplane.....I do't mean that PMDG did anything wrong either.. just the plane itself.Peter Osborn

Peter Osborn

I think it looks nicer than some other turboprop planes I could mention.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Of course, is the King Air "nice"?. I think J41 is a good looking plane too, nothing wrong or controversial about its shapes. There is a plethora of other planes that could fall under the label "controversial" but definitely not this Jetstream. And there is but one aircraft right now that I would definitely call "ugly" - A380. :(

Of course, is the King Air "nice"?. I think J41 is a good looking plane too, nothing wrong or controversial about its shapes. There is a plethora of other planes that could fall under the label "controversial" but definitely not this Jetstream. And there is but one aircraft right now that I would definitely call "ugly" - A380. :(
I can tell ya one thing though.. The J41 would definately look pretty in my virtual hanger about now... :0JB

Hi this is looking great!!Wondering how long till we find out what is after the NG2.0?Alexei

When one flies for a living, it doesn't matter what it looks like. A steady job is nice enough in this industry.Patrick H

Guest MikeKear
They don't have to get it "right" because they never provide any timeline.
Frankly, I think it is a huge mistake to try to develop to a timeline. I would MUCH rather have a really good product in 3, 6, or 12 months than a mediocre one now, simply because it had to be released to meet a deadline.It's very hard to resist the temptation to give a timeline, specially when people like us are asking all the time. But I think PMDG have the right idea - resist the temptation to answer those "when can we get it" questions with "we'll release it when it's ready". I don't want to see it released any earlier than "when it's ready". No matter how long it takes.

I don't want to see it released any earlier than "when it's ready". No matter how long it takes.
I agree with you in all points, although I would appreciate some new Teasers :(

Guest SkullxBones

It would be nice to see PMDG adopt a more informative preview. I like the way some developers show you the latest 3D renderings of the different parts being developed for their new aircraft. Jeff P.

Guest MikeKear

I'm in the software business too, but in a totally different market. I know what the issues are related to teasers ... On the one hand, if you say nothing about forthcoming products, there's a risk you could lose customers who dont know what's coming up. They see a competitor's product and buy that not knowing that a good product of yours is just around the corner. So you need to release teasers to convince your potential customers to keep their money and be patient a little longer and wait for your product to be available. On the other hand, every detail you release in teasers reduces the impact of the launch you're eventually going to have. What you dont want is to get to the point where the product you've worked so hard on is finally ready, so you release it with some PR hoopla, trumpets blare, tv cameras shine, lights, dancing girls, and all your potential customers say 'oh yes we knew all that'. Or perhaps you release a teaser with some detail for a feature that later emerges has some problem you cant get around. So its not in the final version of the product. Then you have people like us saying 'HEY! you said you would have (xxxfeature) and its not there! What happened? How come you told us it was going to have (xxxfeature) and now its not there!"One more potential problem with issuing teaser detail. You are telling your competitors what you're going to be doing in the future. If you're not careful about it, you can end up giving them a track to run on so they dont have to do their own thinking. They just wait for you to announce some teaser, then scramble like crazy to develop the same thing to beat you to the market. So i have sympathy for the PMDG folks. I think they are pretty open with us, and every little detail they say about forthcoming products is a risk for them. They are a very professional outfit, so i am certain they think pretty carefully about the potential downside to everything they tell us about, but its still a risk. We should all be thankful that they tell us anything at all about forthcoming products.I would have to add, that if *I* was the PMDG marketing manager, no one would say a single word about forthcoming products until they were almost ready to release. So you can all be glad *I'M* not the guy in charge of PMDG!