Sign in to follow this  
Buckster

Am I doing something wrong (over sensitive aircraft)

I'm all for supporting X-Plane as I think its a great productbut whenever I try the trial - planes seem VERY VERY twitchywithout much provocation on my joystick they seem to either porpoise or perform un-natural movements.have I a config issue ?doesn't look realistic thats for sure - even large aircraft - instead of slow pondorous movements they seem twitchy too ...thanks for any help,Mark.

Guest Setanta
I'm all for supporting X-Plane as I think its a great productbut whenever I try the trial - planes seem VERY VERY twitchywithout much provocation on my joystick they seem to either porpoise or perform un-natural movements.have I a config issue ?doesn't look realistic thats for sure - even large aircraft - instead of slow pondorous movements they seem twitchy too ...thanks for any help,Mark.
Hi Mark,There could be any number of reasons for this but I'll detail a few of them. First off, if you're using the latest Beta (9.30 b 12 at this point in time) the default aircraft supplied are in need of an update and the handling will be 'iffy' at best due to a major overhaul in 9.3 of the flight model. IIRC the C172SP is the only default aircraft which has currently been updated.If you're still on 9.22, while the default aircraft are not always of the highest quality, they should be reasonably accurate for the most part. The 'twitchiness' can probably be dialled out by heading for the 'Settings' menu (where you will have configured your joystick) and clicking on the 'Center' tab. At the top left there are settings for 'control response' and at the top right 'stability augmentation'. Depending on the aircraft, your joystick and your particular style of flying you will probably need to play around with these to get the 'feel' right.The 'control response' changes the curve for how X-Plane responds to control inputs. If you look at the curve hopefully it will explain what it does better than I could. The 'stability augmentation' is a little more arcane. I think it was in one of Austin's documents where I read that while it actually makes the flight model less accurate, it can make it 'feel' more accurate. In my experience it seems to add a little more 'weight' to the feeling.As a starting point I fly mostly GA and use a Saitek Pro Flight yoke and I have ended up having all three control response curves set to 66% and all three stability augmentation settings at zero. Play about with them a little and I would expect you will find a setting that suits your setup.CheersSetanta

I'm all for supporting X-Plane as I think its a great productbut whenever I try the trial - planes seem VERY VERY twitchywithout much provocation on my joystick they seem to either porpoise or perform un-natural movements.have I a config issue ?
Hi Mark,go to the "Joystick & Equipment" screen, and pull all the six sliders ("control response" and "stability augmentation") to full right.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]