Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

We try to fly too many A/C!

I went for a joyflight in a 1964 Beechcraft D18 Model H today - the only one in Australia and I couldn't miss the opportunity. I sat behind the young pilot and watched him. For a start, he was obviously enjoying what he was doing - and he was doing what he was doing VERY competently. His hand movements and eye movements reminded me of how I drive a car after all these years -- almost automatically and with confidence.Now it seemed to me that this A/C is probably just about all he flies every day -- he gets lots of practice on it and is not worrying about how to fly a B707 , but just this one a/c that he is responsible for.As for me with the Sim, I am a jack of all trades - and master of NONE. I wonder how many more of us are like that? As a hobby, the Sim is really good - but it has a downside of being too comprehensive. You can do just about anything with it. What do you think?Barry

Guest ba747heavy

I often get that feeling, that I am the master of none. But the plane I come closest to master of is the 767 PIC, followed by the RFP 747-200.

Guest JonP01

Barry,Glad you enjoyed the joyflight. From which aerodrome did the joyflight depart? The last time I went on a joyflight was in 1977, in a DC3 from Bankstown (YSBK) airport. We flew around the Sydney basin for a couple of hours. I still have the original Standard 8mm cine film from the day (I also have the Schofield airshows on 8mm cine from 1976 and 1977).AS regards FS, I am not competent enough to be able to properly fly all the aircraft all the time. I just cannot readily adjust to their differing characteristics. Sure, I can fly them around without stacking them, but I don't consider myself to be competant at more than one or two at a time. If I try to fly more than two at a time (also taking into consideration I fly two aircraft in IL2 as well), then I lose whatever "edge" I may have. My typical FS scenario would just be one powered aircraft at any point in time, but the glider is an evergreen.

The joyflight was from the Caboolture Airfeld just north of Brisbane -- which is the home of the Caboolture Aero club. It has 2 grass strips. You won't find it in Fs2002. The club had a "fly-in" - a very interesting mix of "normal" , experimental, old warbirds, choppers and ultralights.Barry

Guest crashing_pilot

hi,you just stated the reason why i "standardized" myself on the Dash 7.though i occasionally also fly a DC8(got to keep my jetskills up,nothing better as this one ;-) ),the bulk of my flying is done with the Dash 7 .so,at the risk of sounding arrogant,i think i've mastered that plane fairly well....it has not surprised me in the last few month's,although i'm still amazed at what it is capable of doing ;-)

Hi,Always, since FS5, on the 767-300.No Add-On's!!Jan"Procul Negotiis"

Guest Henri W

Barry,I prefer to be good at what I am doing. For this reason I limit myself to two aircraft at the moment: Oleksiy Frolov's Dash 8-Q300 and RealAir's Cessna 172SP (with Dreamfleet/FSD panel). Occasionally I try something else, but I always return to these two aircraft.Best regards,Henri

You said it Barry! -I made a similar observation back in the 'old' Project Airbus forum.Gone are the old fs5 days when all similar types flew basically alike - the advance of fs has made it necessary to dedicate oneself to a POSKY/PIC 763 or PSS A320 or Frolov DASH8 and sooo many other great free/payware a/c, in order to truly master them - and its only gonna get 'worse' :)We asked for it and we're getting it!And I for one am lovin it! (are'nt we all :))regardsMark

Regards,

Mark

Hi,The only two planes I feel quite comfortable in is Stellan Hilmerby

Staffan

Yo, Staffan! Who needs FMC, anyway? Seems like some people trash anything that doesn't have it, but to me it's just another way of flying but by no means essential.The release of that new INS the other day has me very excited, mind you, and I'm busy fitting it to a Tristar or two. Any plans yourself to do anything with it?!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

>The release of that new INS the other day has me very excited,>mind you, and I'm busy fitting it to a Tristar or two. Any>plans yourself to do anything with it?!Hi Mark,Dunno,...but one thing that comes into mind, is that my initial release of the DC-10 panel for FS2000, had the FS98/FS2000 INS from FSD included. But I couldn

Staffan

Guest Richard_H

I think you

Barry,Hope all's well down there!!!You really struck a chord with me ... and if I am honest, I admit I am a "junkie" with a very bad habit of wanting everything, getting everything, trying, flying.When I think about my next flight, I think more about what to fly, then where. Over the years I have acquired all the "usual suspects" .. PSS747, 777, A320, DF737, PIC 767 and flew those almost exclusively ... then I discovered Espen

"Always, since FS5, on the 767-300.No Add-On's!!"WHOA! Can't even fathom that! I fly the default bell a majority of the time, but I like to try plenty of others as well. I totally agree with this post, if I was to stick with a single aircraft I would become extremely proficient at it (and I am good at the bell ;-)), but in reality, if the pilot mentioned at the start had a choice of aircraft, chances are he would be flying a good majority of different ones (given he knew how). I think that is the biggest difference, in the real world you don't have the choice you have here.At the moment the Cessna 421 is my fav fixed wing and I am planning on getting as good as I can in this bird, but the Beechjet is so inviting, choices, choices! LOLRegards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW