Sign in to follow this  
Guest jason2112

FS2004 - Observations #1

Guest JonP01

As far as the clouds are concerned, I'm not surprised at all. This is what I expected. But you don't mention if the new sim has the "cloud slider" like in FS2002. Nevertheless, I guess my concern about where MS has spent all their time optimising the code has been spent. It's not to make the sim run better. It's to try and make it run acceptably well. I only posted here a couple of days ago that I would be running FS2004 with the clouds off. I think your observation vindicates this viewpoint!!!

Guest cwright

>commodore vic 20/64 amiga addict here also!>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg The Amiga was brilliant. When it first came out it was light-years ahead of the PC. But of course Commodore blew it. If they had aggressively developed the Amiga it could still be giving the PC stiff competition. And, who knows, maybe we'd be looking forward to running FS2004 on our trusty Amigas! Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Tom, thanks for the info.Looking forward very much to the review.> Clouds are a real FPS killer..... That's not such good news, particularly as I'm running on 800 Mhz, but I'm sure the clouds look very good. Just one question. The FS2002 clouds can look very good from a distance (particularly with Chris's clouds add-on) but from close up they're pretty bad, particularly with the 'thin clouds' syndrome. So my question is: how good and realistic do the clouds look when you fly very close and when you actually fly through them? Many thanks. Best regards, Chris Wright

Trouble with the Amiga for gaming was that the customs chips were designed well for 2D work and effect but 3d effects in realtime were awful due to the fact that a 68000 processor running at 7.14 mhz (Pal version) had to do all the work.As most gamers only had Amiga 500s, none of the games that were in 3D would run properly on higher spec Amigas with faster processors. They would either be very unstable or were locked so that the games would run at a slow speed. Once Doom and Wolfenstein came out on the PC that was it...3d games were the new thing and yes you could get doom clones on the Amiga in its last part of its life, GLoom etc but then even then you were still restricted as the Amiga was being left behind by the constant developments in the PC field, faster graphics cards etc....To compare like for like though an Amiga 500 running at such a slow speed would make a 286/386 look very slow when running platform games. Also I used to love the way that you could have different resolutions running at the same time, so you could have a paint package running at 320x256 and then just slide the window down and then you would see a different resolution screen behind it. Anyway I've still got two A500s in my house and also a CD32 games console which can be turned into a A1200 with the keyboard and mouse plugs it comes with so sometimes I do like to remind myself of my past life LOLThen again I can run Win UAE and have an Amiga setup I never could ever afford at the time. When I had an Amiga I said to myself I would never ever get a PC....Ha famous last words....I remember when I first saw Flightsim 4 running on a 486 and the 3d graphics were so smooth compared to what i had on the Amiga..I was like ..OMG..I wish I could have a PC...Running flightsim 2 on the Amiga just wasnt the same anymore. I remember having a game called FA 18 Interceptor on the Amiga and thought it was the best. A San fransisco area that consisted of a blue sky, green land, a few bridges, a few roads, some buildings in the city which when flown close to would make the game stutter at about 4fps and an aircraft carrier you could take off and land from and look behind and do the TOP GUN view and I loved it. Pentiums then came out and well my Amiga was just ..SAD... It took me ages to get a PC but Im glad that I have one now.Hey...still awake.. Craig Kiltie

Sids and Stars in Fs2004, Tom ?Like to comment?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest Stephan

Yeah. I remember the good ole Amiga playing Interceptor. I even hooked up my guitar amp to feel the afterburner's rumble. Until I sold the Amiga and bought a PC. My dad's been hating me ever since for abandoning the "best computer ever made".Stephan

Guest Claviateur

That's true, I think logicially speaking FS2004 needs one of the latest monster Video cards on the market... Of course the system you described in a previous message and wish almost the same as mine, is very modest for this new versionMichel

Guest cw1011

You should be able to upgrade your cpu for a few hundred bucks. That will likely have a greater impact on your performance than the Video Card. Beleive me, its the most cost-effective, bang for your buck way to improve performance. It's the upgrade that Dell definintely does not want you knowing about.

Tom,Will the Multiplayer part also be discussed? We, as a flightsim club, demonstrate FS2002 a lot in public and we get laughs all the time because of the planes jumping back and forth and seeing aircraft sink into the taxiways (if they have wheels, that is).I hope to see this improved in FS2004... We don't need historic aircraft nor improved ATC as we have our own ATC-er online.Please tell us FS2004-mp has been bug-fixed...Emile.

Guest jason2112

Oh yes, F/A 18 Interceptor was the first game that really made me feel like I was flying. I spent uncoundted hours with it! It felt so smooth compare to anything I had ever played before. I was a kid back then, and we had lots of fun. I guess I never had as much fun (and probably never will again) with a combat flight simulation. But even back then I started to like pure flying better than dog fighting. Low level flying at about 10 feet or landing an F16 (!) on an aircraft carrier (yes, without arrestor hook ;)), it all felt amazing!We have come a long way since then, technically speaking, but it was a golden age for me :)Bye,VOlker :]