Sign in to follow this  
Fragmentum

Western Montana Scenery

Guest RSmith

I am looking for Bitterroot Mountain area, Ravailli County, Town of Hamilton (6S5) specificaly, scenery adds. Looking for mesh, scenery, airport additions, for the western Montana, Northeastern part of Idaho. Any tips - links - appreciated !PS: If you haven't d/l'd Frank's Crecent Creek yet - try it ! Fantastic small gravel strip - makes STOL a "real" word, again !Ron6FD2Chuluota, Florida

>PS: If you haven't d/l'd Frank's Crecent Creek yet - try it ! > Fantastic small gravel strip - makes STOL a "real" word,>again !>Thanks for the tip..A week ago at our EAA meeting, we had a presentation & video from the Utah Backcountry Pilots Association, that contained numerous airstrips from Northern Idaho & Southern Utah. I'm ready to "sell" everything, buy a Aviat Husky with tundra tires and become a mountain man! :)L.Adamson

Guest Tim13

One of the coolest little airports in real life is Fish Lake in Idaho. Unfortunately in FS, there is a mesh problem which creates a huge wall of water where one of the approach ends is located. I tried to fix it using Denney's Idaho mesh for FS2000, but no joy.Tim13

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Ron,Good mesh makes quite a difference in this region. Here is a highly compressed image using my 30m/LOD10 (38.2m) mesh for the area. http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/10632.jpgYou can download 3 larger images comparing the default mesh, 100m LOD10 mesh (similar to Ed Denney's), and 30m LOD10 mesh here: www.fs-traveler.com/cgi-bin/6s5-mt.zip (file size: 429k)Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

Guest sgreenwood

The problem exists using 30m mesh as well. You might try lowering the lake level to that of the runway. I have a utility for creating flatten bgl files which makes this fairly easy to do. You can read more about the process (I use airports as an example) and download flatten.zip at:www.fs-traveler.com/flatten.htmlSteve

Guest RSmith

Thks. for the comparative pictures, Steve. Even the difference between 100 & 30 is dramatic - and the Bitterroot canyons are most realistic in 30, by far.Only a few mths. until MSCOF. Anyone know if the new version is going to include 100 or 30 level mesh, or the same we've had ?Ron

Guest Tim13

Other than using a flatten switch for some sceneries, I've never tried to create one myself. I'll take a look at the flatten.zip file and give it a whirl. Thanks for the tip.Tim13

Ron,Born in Hamilton and raised in the Big Hole Vally town of Wisdom, I am always looking for add ons to MY area as well. I don't know of anything specific for your area but other add ons you might like are FS2002 Montana Air KFCA Scenery (fca.zip) from flightsim.com, Missoula Intl Airport and Smoke Jumper Headquarters Update #3 (mtff3.zip)from AVSIM.com, the Autogenius ground texture software at http://www.aliditalia.com/autogeniusengl.html is amazing stuff, some scenery files and many aircraft available at http://www.payetteaircharter.com as well.I also use LAGO's FSSE (Flight Sim Scenery Enhancer) extensively to add a lot of elements to Montana airports I visit. My personal airport in Wisdom in the Big Hole Valley has extensive improvements.Hope these help and 'by the same token', if you run across any addititional scenery enhancements, mention them here, will ya?Thanks,Don

Guest Lizardo

(fellow bush-wackers also here in Avsim..down in Bush & Alaska forums)

Guest RSmith

Don,Thks - you live in a beautiful part of the Country !I have the MSO / Smoke Jumper add - including MSO gates....... good add. Wish someone would do a complete Ravalli County FBO, with all the helo's, and maybe some surrounding town scenery. I'm undecided on "which" mesh to get - but obviously - the best "add" for the Bitterroot's.Was hoping someone had "tweaked" Hamilton, and maybe some of the USFS strips up in the wilderness...... We head out there to visit folks every summer - this year likely to be late August. Always enjoy hiking Trapper, Ward, and St. Mary Mts. But, always envious, that I don't have opportunity ($$) to rent / charter out of Ravalli - and fly the "valley" - maybe down to Chief Joseph & the ski area - over to Big Hole - then back over the Sapphire's.......Ron

Guest racartron

Enough with the tease already. How'bout emailing me your SE1 file for Wisdom?I also dress up every airport I visit with FSSE and FSSS (the sound editor). Nothing like landing at a small strip to the sound of the wind whipping about or the random screech of an eagle and don't forget those 12 gauge shotguns chasing down the elusive turkeys in the Fall. Or the morunful wail of a lone wolf in the distance. Adds a incredible dimension to FS.racartronit means something, but I just can't remember whatp-sumner@attbi.com

Ron,I suggest you buy the LAGO FSSE and add some airport elements yourself to some of the strips in the Bitteroot Valley and beyond.The Autogenius will give much more ground realism over the entire planet and is not a big drain on performance.Don

racartron,I'll forward my SE1 file to you later this evening when I get home.Don