Sign in to follow this  

3D Glasses That Actually Work in FS2002 !

Hi All,I just got back from Dayton Hamvention and in the process of touring the various booths came across 'Zonica Entertainment (Cybertronics)'who were showing Infra Red (wireless) 3D glasses.Now, I have purchased similar product in the past, in my quest for 3D depth for helicopter-simming, only to be disappointed by either flickering screens or inadequate refresh rates with my hardware and the glasses interface - the result being less than satisfactory! :(I watched the demo, tried the glasses and asked how the product worked compared to others. The guy actually explained that there are no specific game drivers and that all that is required is that the latest drivers for your video card include stereo 3D capability. A CD with Detonator reference drivers for Nvidia and drivers for ATI are included (I have a Nvidia GeForce MX400 64MB card) and the IR interface and 'Y' cable that inserts between your Monitor and PC. BTW my PC is a P2 350 with 384MB RAM!!!!The guy loaded FS2002 and the Bell 206B for me. Hitting CTRL-T activated the IR transmitter and put the game into stereo page-flip mode. The image seen by the naked eye appears to be two slightly separated images (kinda blurred!) the glasses are activated by a tiny switch and instantly - the image is in 3D - the virtual cockpit was awesome!! CTRL-T returns to normal (non-3D) viewing at anytime!You can adjust the depth of field (CTRL-F3 or F4) for personnel preference.So, guess what? Yep, I picked me up a set, so did my buddy.... on returning home I loaded the driver, readjusted my screen size and resolution (loading new drivers always seems to default to 640x480 for some reason) and started FS2002 - the results were :EXACTLY AS I EXPERIENCED AT THE SHOW!At last I now have depth of field for my simming! :)BTW. The page-flipping technique is similar to other products I have seen, but the hardware is far superior! The priciple of operation is comparable to the operation of the human eyes (yes you must have two working eyes for this product!)... we perceive depth of field by comparing an image received by both eyes andprocessed byour brain.... the glasses work on the principle that rapid switching (many times a second) between a clear and opaque image will fool the brain into thinking it can see depth of field - thus 3 dimensional images!This concept is further explained on Zonica's website (http://www.zonica.com/Content/Stereo3D/advanced3D.htm#advanced), so I wont explain any further...The actual product is shown here: (http://www.zonica.com/index.htm)Go get 'em!Happy FlyingTerry

Guest ba747heavy

Wow Terry! Thanks for the heads up. :)

Terry, I am curious.I currently use 3d glasses by eDimensional. In general I am satisfied with the way the glasses work. The only negative that I have found is that with 3d activated my fps. are cut by almost 50%. Now in most cases my system manages fine, except for those hi density Simflyers sceneries where my system is brought to its knees. As low as 7fps. with stutters.do you find that with your new glasses you experience this dramatic drop in frame rates?Robin.

Robin

TerryThanks for the news. I do have some questions though. As mentioned in many threads, most of these glasses require very high refresh rates and may the resolution is limited to 1024x768. How do these glasses compare to others? Are the refresh and resolution still a limiting factor? What is the max res these can do and what effective refresh rates are required for fluidity?RegardsBobG

Guest captbulldog

What are you doing with a P2 350?

The system mentioned above is exactly the same as eDimensional. It uses the same drivers to give the 3D effect. Regardless of what glasses are hooked up, it will give the same results. ;-)Matt

>The system mentioned above is exactly the same as>eDimensional. It uses the same drivers to give the 3D effect.> Regardless of what glasses are hooked up, it will give the>same results. ;-)I think you are right. No matter what 3D glasses you use you are bound by the same two limitations: monitor's refresh rate and degradation in frames per second. Nothing is free in this world folks. The company mentioned above may be producing fine glasses but theye are bumping against the same limits - laws of physics can't be broken.Michael J.

Robin,Thanks for the reply.Actually, I didnt notice any great degree of performance hit, but I do suspect there will be some additional RAM useage to create the stereo-image. I was able to hover and land typically as before. I have my settings pretty much maxed out as well - and I am running a P2, so I would be the first to notice stuttering or blurries etc but so far so good!I will however, do some checks on the FPS and let you know later.regardsTerry

Bob,All I can tell you is that I set the refresh rate to 85Hz and the res to 1280 x 1024 (my preferred settings with a 19" monitor)... I checked 70Hz and it is still very acceptable 3D viewing.I would suggest if you need specific information regarding your own set-up, contact them thru the link on my earlier post!regardsTerry

More than you will ever know! :)Terry

TerryI found out that those glasses you purchased are made by the same company that makes e-diminsionals glasses. Interesting huh? I had emailed them about a question and asked how they compared to e-diminsional's and thats when they mentioned it. Maybe they were made under a different spec. Go figureBobG