Sign in to follow this  
Guest Macs

fs2004 preview videos

Here's some preview videos that were on gamespot.com, in case you can't get to them.Nothing really exciting, it just shows some of the new planes taking off.http://www.wifiremote.com/at

Hi, 1 observation smooth with many volumetric clouds, even recorded on a video.Improved autogen. Still not the final build at e3, Like fs2002, Ms always optimize on each phase and specialy the last built for final code max optimized performance as possible.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

hi,I know nothing about writing code or programing but how exactly do you optimize code for speed? Do you just delete a couple lines of code here and there to make the code more compact and flow more smoothly (sort of like taking the rocks and and logs out of a river to make it flow smoothly)? Andrew

Guest Marvel

hi Andrew I also know nothing about writhing code, but as far as I understand code optimisation is something like trying to make a program work more efficiently. That is trying to do the same thing in a differently way IMO.

>Ms always optimize on each phase and>specialy the last built for final code Chris,I like you and you want to keep everyone's spirit high but I do have problems with some of your statements. Maybe it is even true that 'MS always optimizes ..' though the statement is almost a tautology - what software company does NOT optimize (?!) but I do know something about writing code - I do it for living and let me tell you - if Microsoft does not have well running code by now no amount of optimization is going to do them any good in the next 100 days. Those little tweaks can only do so much but what really makes difference is the core software design - if it was crapy 3 months ago it is crapy today and will remain crapy till the release. I am not qualified to pass judgement on Microsoft abilities to write optimized simulation code but the fact they keep working with legacy code that dates back over 20 years ago and the bits and pieces I heard from other people on this forum that they may in fact be underutilizing the power of GPU on the video cards may put them in disadvantage.Cheers.Michael J.

Guest dre777

what program should i use to play the videos, can't get them to work. Thanks for posting them,Andre

Guest dre777

never mind, just downloaded quicktime.Andre

Micheal, " if it was crapy 3 months ago it is crapy today and will remain crapy till the release. "I agree if the coding is really really crapy, there will no miracle..but, I don't think you will see crapy coding since the basic engine is from previous version (from the avsim convention). I can expect crappy coding can be much more on totally new engine from scratch compare to an a "Improved engine" specialy when they have tell us in preview, they are focused much more in optimisation in this fs2004 version compare to fs2002.I remember Msfs team for fs2002 at the production before the release on preview, each important feature implemented in the sim, are optimized on each phase (beta version) on the engine + final max overall optimization is done at the final build, since it is a complexe coding they may use others method than typical coding. Also I have read from Trev Morson years ago, Ms do the most optimisations at the end of the final build version before the release.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I have to correct you, being an amateur programmer, and a MS betatester (although not for FS).>miracle..but, I don't think you will see crapy coding since>the basic engine is from previous version (from the avsim>convention).What do you expect from a platform whose origin dates back to years and years ago?Did you remember Win95? It was full of problems, because it was just a merely updated version of Win 3.11, ran still on DOS, and so many other things.Win98 was again an update, of Win95 this time; refining a lot of things but still running on a DOS base.Trying to explain a concept: have you ever find that, after reinstalling windows, it was so much faster then the previous which you had carefully updated with all the MS updates released?Why this?Because you modify and modify, a thing here, another there; upon an old base.You don't modify the base to conceive new possibilities, every update you do is a stretch to the base.So here is the register gets bigger and bigger, the speed drops as well stability.This same concept applies to FS: according to what you can do with FS (still you can use FS98 airplanes and panels, and FS98 again could use packages ageing back to FS95) there are LOTS and LOTS of really "ancient" and as said above LEGACY lines of code.What actual LEGACY mean?In simple term it means that you maintain compatibility with some really old,useless,complex,not speed-friendly, and so many badadgetives, features you shouldn't suppose to portray ahead.Like it was for the ISA slots (in fact a ISA card is a Legacy card).> I can expect crappy coding can be much more on>totally new engine from scratch compare to an a "Improved>engine" specialy when they have tell us in preview, they are>focused much more in optimisation in this fs2004 version>compare to fs2002.Hum...I shouldn't say that but...Let's try not to talk about MS, let's say we are talking about a serious software house.Once the SH plans a soft, and the soft is approved, there is a programmers team assigned to it.If they start from scratch, they can do whatever they want, but obviously they have to do many redos, because errors are human and in millions of lines of code, you can't expect to get everything right on the spot first try.So you have a nice team of testers, which, together with the programmers, are handed a list of the functionalities, and have to test them all, tu assure they work correctly (it's not an easy job, in fact the internal betatesting team is often made by other programmers).Now sadly MS has had us used to crappy, buggy releases.About the external betatesting run: what external betatesters are given is a RC (release candidate), not a real beta.In RC all the features are fixed, work on main code is halted.All the glitches and big bugs have alredy been (or should) fixed by the internal testing team.All you can do is test, report system compatibility, driver compatibility, minor bugs.So the role of those who can "test" a beta is minor. And actually it is not a real beta.>I remember Msfs team for fs2002 at the production before the>release on preview, each important feature implemented in the>sim, are optimized on each phase (beta version) on the engine>+ final max overall optimization is done at the final build,>since it is a complexe coding they may use others method than>typical coding. Also I have read from Trev Morson years ago,>Ms do the most optimisations at the end of the final build>version before the release.I tested WinXP.All i can say is that what i had in my hands was always an olmost finished product.At times, some features were disabled because buggy and under testings by internal team.Let me tell you one thing (i also tested EVE Online, a MMORPG designed to let 50000 players play together... that's a really huge number): there is a simple reason SHs use external beta teams: money.Usually voluntary betatesters are not payed (not by MS at least), and they come in huge numbers.But many of them are also not trained in programming, or not as much as it would be required.So how you manager should manage this?Simple:the big things are handled by the (really small compared) internal beta team, the external, thanks to it's dimension (thousands of testers) and freeness can represent a wide range of possible variations on different parameters (system composition, usage, etc)thus allowing for a free enormous test base.But surely you won't give a crappy thing to such a great mass of non programmers: what would they do?Complain (people asks for fun in exchange for their testing work), just complain.So this should clarify how the things work.Another example that just popped in my mind:do you see the F1 championship?Throught every championship, teams always test and develop new components for their cars, which sometimes improve the performances, sometimes not.But when there is a huge leap forward in performance?When, the next year they design a new car, fitted with the best things they developed, and conceived to make the best out of 'em.Ciao

Guest FPSFREAK

To me one of the nicest things is the way the weather looks like it is going to turn out. Beautiful Cloud rendering and Lighting. I don't know though, for whats considered a major redo and something to honor 100 years of flight they could have come up with something just a little more special. JMO :)Bobby

Guest Macs

On my first day of college,and first experience with our programming lecturer-the one statement that sticks out the most is "2 programmers are given an assignement. The 2 assignments are exactly the same but the programmers have to work on their own. So the first programmer,gets the assignment done and dusted within 2 days. The final code is 800 lines(not much),the second programmer takes 5 days. His code is 200 lines,and does the exact same as the first programmers...the second programmer si given a better evaluation"Why? Because his code is smaller,neater and more refined.Because its more refined,the code is easier to maintain-which is a realy important part of programming today. Maintaining and updating someone elses code is considered to be 1 of the hardest things to do...I assume M$ is going through the functions looking for ways to reduce memory traffic,making sure there are no unneccessarly large date types-i.e assigning a Long int date type to something which could be a short int. I really dont know,I'm only in 2nd year so I assume it goes a lot more advanced than that ;)RegardsJohnhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk 685Hours ;)P 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg