Sign in to follow this  
Guest toxicdebt

Switch FS2004 Language from German to Engligh ?

Guest toxicdebt

I purchased a cheap copy of FS2004 recently. However when I install it I discover its actually a German version.I attempted to install the English service pack 1. But it didn't work saying ATC.DLL was missing or modified. So I installed the German service pack 1. Then I tried replacing language.dll from an English FS2004. That didn't help. All the menus and text are still in German. I also tried an English language.dll from FSX but that didn't work either.How do I turn it into English text?

Guest toxicdebt
Hi,Buy the English version!
Shouldn't have to. Should be a simple way to switch languages as any decent software is written that way.

Hi,We can't help it that you got ripped off. Buy the correct language version and you'll be all set.

Guest toxicdebt
Hi,Buy the English version!
So if you get a flat tyre, buy a whole new car. Ridiculous.

Conversely look at it this way. How much of FS9 do you actually have to be able to read in order to use it? What harm will it do to learn a few German words? I understand that if you want to do all the lessons, read the articles, etc, then my point is not valid, I'm just assuming you want to use FS9 as I do, ie for flying addon aircraft from a to b.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Your analogy is all wrong. Flat tyre would mean a part of the car is broken. FS9 being in german doesn't make it broken. It's be design. Same as boardcomputers in german BMWs are in German and not English.Keep it or get english version. There is no way in changing it.

I purchased a cheap copy of FS2004 recently. However when I install it I discover its actually a German version.
Where did you buy it? What country are you in?
Shouldn't have to. Should be a simple way to switch languages as any decent software is written that way.
Tell me a couple of decent software packages you can change the language of. You have translations provided by third parties for some (smaller) programs. If you have an OS such as XP Pro, you get multi-language discs. But regular XP comes in one language, same goes for regular Office. Etc...

Mike...

Where did you buy it? What country are you in?Tell me a couple of decent software packages you can change the language of. You have translations provided by third parties for some (smaller) programs. If you have an OS such as XP Pro, you get multi-language discs. But regular XP comes in one language, same goes for regular Office. Etc...
Oh just a thing... Vista has a language addon, you can change it on the fly. So shall W7 have it I think.But the fact remains, XP doesn't have it. Nor does FS9.

Oh just a thing... Vista has a language addon, you can change it on the fly. So shall W7 have it I think.
Interesting, where can I find it in Vista's settings?

Mike...

If you have an OS such as XP Pro, you get multi-language discs.
And even this doesn't work well. I invested this few additional $$ and thought 'nice idea'', but updates ask wich language they should install and the result is a mish-mash of all languages (and folder names!). That's why I decided to buy FSX and Vista in english (which was not easy to get here).CUhififs

Nonsense. If you buy a car because it's cheap then find the steering wheel's on the wrong side for your country then you either buy a new one or live with it. The supplier won't convert it for you.I note you haven't answered the question where you bought it.

Interesting, where can I find it in Vista's settings?
You should find it in Control Panel - Regional & Language Options - Keyboards & Languages. Its only available in Vista Ultimate and Enterprise Editions though.

Louise

London, UK

You should find it in Control Panel - Regional & Language Options - Keyboards & Languages. Its only available in Vista Ultimate and Enterprise Editions though.
But you do have to install the language packages available from Microsoft. They are about 1,2GB per package I think.

I purchased a cheap copy of FS2004 recently. However when I install it I discover its actually a German version.I attempted to install the English service pack 1. But it didn't work saying ATC.DLL was missing or modified. So I installed the German service pack 1. Then I tried replacing language.dll from an English FS2004. That didn't help. All the menus and text are still in German. I also tried an English language.dll from FSX but that didn't work either.How do I turn it into English text?
In case you're looking to change the audio too, I read through the Microsoft Voice Pack SDK and it states:"Note: You cannot change the audio in the voicepack (.gvp) files that shipped with Flight Simulator 2004. You can only create new voicepacks. "There is a file installed by the english version of FS9 that have most of what you hear in the ATC. It's name is USEnglishBig.gvp. There is also another Voice Pack file that's installed and I think it might contain the ATIS stuff that you hear. I'm not sure what it really is for though but it's name is USEnglishASOS.gvp. Also, I checked my ATC.dll and it's file version is 9.01.040901.01, the language is listed as "English (United States)". You can find the ATC.dll in the "Flight Simulator 9\Modules" folder. In order to see what version you're using highlight the ATC.dll file and then right click it and select "Properties".I don't know if you can simply swap out the 3 files for the english version of them, it might work and it might not but it might just be easier to spend the 20.00 bucks and get a new copy of it. Actually, the last time I was back home in L.A. I saw a copy of it on sale at CompUSA for usd 14.00 dollars! So it might be in your best interest to just bite the bullet and buy it.Mark