Sign in to follow this  
woodreau

Annoying morse code while flying?

Guest Boone

Hi there,Lately when I've been flying I'm getting this constant morse code sound from the radio's. I can not make it go away. Can someone advise me how to get rid of it or turn it off?Thank you,Boone

Guest Van

What you are hearing are the nav ident beacons. If you don't want to hear these beacons, then simply turn the appropriate nav/adf ident switches off.Regards,Van

This is a means of identifying the VOR you are tracking. The morse code you hear is the letters of the VOR in morse code replayed continuously. Look at your radion panel. There is (sometimes) a light or switch that you press that you use to verify the VOR/NDB station. Make sure that is in the off position.To be more specific, we'd need to know what aircraft and panel you are flying.Steve

The sound is probably coming from your NAV or ADF radio's. These beacons send their identifier code as morse. Check the key assingments for the right keys to switch them of. Some radio panels also have buttons to switch them on/off.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Guest Boone

Thank you for all your responses.I thought it was something to do with this. I was afraid to turn these off in case I lost the VOR track. In using the Iron Knuckles DC9 there are volume buttons of which I will try to turn down tonight. There are a number of switches beside these which I will try.I noticed it happening in the PSS A320 as well. I'll fiddle around with the switches I guess until it goes away. I just don't want to lose the track as VOR is the most enjoyable means of navigation at the moment!Cheers All,Boone

Here's how to turn of the Morse identifiers.For Nav 1 hit Ctrl+1For Nav 2 hit Ctrl+2For DME 1 hit Ctrl+4For ADF hit Ctrl+5Be aware these keys are toggle switches, so if the switch is turned on the key assignment will turn it off. If it is already turned off then these keys will turn it on.

You don't have to worry about losing VOR tracking. After you ident the VOR navaids, you've got a good signal.If the navaids go out of service, your VOR equipment will flag, and you'll get a visual warning that your VOR went south.NDBs are a different story, if you decide to use NDBs you have to keep the morse in your ear, because there is no visual warning from your ADF if it loses the NDB signal. If the morse stops, then the NDB just died. which is pretty common in the real world.. But VORs are pretty reliable. You can turn off the ident feature after you've idented the navaid.Woodreau / KMVL