Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

FSCOF? ...do I need it? My thoughts (long)

That's my point! It's never going to be perfect. There's always going to be someting about the next release to #### about. I agree with all of Mikes points, they're all valid. But I'm still going to buy FSCF, even if it's just for a few "SMALL" improvements.Anyone who's been around really knows that it's a 4 year cycle for "MAJOR" improvements. FS98 to FS2002. We're not going to see a major improvement until FS2006. I don't expect much from FSCF, it's more like a $50 FS2002 SP1 with some old planes thrown in. So what? I'm still going to buy it, and I'm sure I'll discover and enjoy all sorts of "SMALL" improvements.

Eric Thornton

Yep---It's the small improvements that really have me wondering. But the weather alone makes me feel like this is more than a typical update. It's been a long time coming, and although the sim may be a small step towards FS2006, the weather may be a big step towards making flight more real. My most memorable commercial flights were always linked to weather in some way. I recall one where I flew into Frankfurt, and we arrived at dawn over a deck of cottonball clouds lit in purple, and subtle shades of pink... That's a lasting memory. And one other flight I took back in '80, we flew parallel to a line of thunderstorms for over an hour--the way the lightning lit the clouds and the perspective from above was amazing.I've seen screenshots in today's link that remind me of that. Even with FS2002, given the right time of day and cloud cover, the clouds can look very real. But FS2004 looks like it will offer a big step towards realism, even though it may be a small update in terms of effort. I won't be one to rush out and buy FS2004, or to go through the pre-order business to be the first on the block to own one. But if I hear there's no show stoppers in the first week or two after purchase, I'll get it. Like you, I haven't missed a version of FS, other than the very first, wireframe version that even preceded Sublogic's release.

Well, as always, its interesting to read everyone's comments about the next version of FS. I've had FS2004 up and running on one of my systems for a couple of days now (AMD 1.2Ghz, 512MB Ram, old GeForce2 GS video card, Win98SE). I do have some hardware issues to correct (not necessarily related to FS2004 either, as I had the same issues with FS2002 on that system, and CFS3 wouldn't even load. In fact, my copy of MSTS just barely runs on that computer, so I don't want anyone to misunderstand and think my comments are related to any possible problem with FS2004!).My initial impressions are very favorable, despite my using a really old system. Because I am one of the those individuals with an assignment involving a review of this product I won't answer to anything specific (don't wish to take away any of the thunder from my review or from anyone else on our team). I will comment though on a couple of things.Q: Has the weather capability of Flight Simulator been improved?A: Yes, in several aspects.Q: Has the ground textures been improved?A: Yes.Q: What does "interactive VC" mean?A: It means that everything that was clickable on your 2D panel is now equally clickable in the Virtual Cockpit mode and without popup windows!Q: What about the new addon aircraft, are they up to the standards of the 3rd party designers, freeware or payware?A: Hmmmmmm.....I think I'll save that for my review.Q: Is there anything I would be specific on?A: Yes, I could just die listening to the sounds of the de Havilland Comet! They're really really terrific and considering that I have an Altec/Lansing 5-speaker surround-sound system on that computer, my neighbors have already started complaining about my constant flying of the Comet!Q: Do I think everyone will be impressed with FS2004?A: You're kidding right? There are some individuals that would claim a level "D" full motion simulator sucks if there was even a hint that Microsoft had anything to do with it! Some people are going to love it, while others, I'm sure, are going to complain until they're blue in the face just like they did with FS2002! I do believe that the majority of users will be pleased though.Bear!

Guest SoarPics

Bear... you're a tease!! :-beerchug

RE:whine and moanI've been simming since Sublogic FS 1.0 also. If we all just sat around and said "It can't get better than this." Want to know where you be right now on your 4mhz xt turbo and cga grahics? :-)Tell them what you want, be up front, most of all be honest and sincere about it. I can understand why some people complain, MSFS sometimes acts like the IBM of flight sims. With all due respect.NoboruState of the art...or die.

My decision will come down to performance. Sure everything looks better but how will it perform on today's hardware? Is it going to be like moving from fs98 to 2000 and taking a huge performance hit, or will it be like moving from 2000 to fs2002? Honestly right now I have fs2002 running great. Performance is good to the point where I turn off my framerate counter because I know it is good enough. Most of us remember the early days of fs2000, spending more time looking at the fps number than the cockpit. With all that, sure I will buy it. I can kid myself all day. The only question for me will be when? I might wait until some of the big addons are compatible, and even until I get a new computer in the next 12 months or so.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Corey

well i just update my pc from a AMD 1.4GHZ 512 DDR gforce 32 meg GTS to a AMD 2600 XP T BRED MSI KT4 ULTRA motherboard 1.53 GIG of Corsair ram ATI 9800 pro 256,so i will ready for FS2K4.

Craig,If you're satisfied as to how you've got FS2002 running on your system, then I imagine that FS2004 will run equally as well, if not better, on the same system. I'm running FS2002 on one of my computers (that is a much better and newer unit than my 5 year old system where I've installed FS2004) and the smoothness of FS2004 seems to be superior than how my copy of FS2002 currently is performing. I know that isn't telling you much, but I would have to guess that there have been some subtle performance improvements with FS2K4. I noted that FS2004 defaults to a fps lock of 15fps, rather than 30fps as with FS2002. This is a subject that seems to never go away, as so many are simply hung-up with the idea they should be getting 50 to 60 fps, yet they complain about texture blurries and such. FORGET FRAME RATES! Its sim smoothness that counts and if you keep your frame rate lock under 18fps, no matter what your system specs are, then texture blurring would be a thing of the past for everyone.It was even suggested to MS that they remove the user adjustable fps lock and simply default it to 16fps for everyone, but MS felt that too many would complain.Bear!

>>It was even suggested to MS that they remove the user>adjustable fps lock and simply default it to 16fps for>everyone, but MS felt that too many would complain.[/font]>Yes ................. I'd complain! :)Blurries arn't a problem & I prefer rates in the area of upper 20's to 30 fps when low level flying. At altitudes of 4000' agl, then 18 fps is fine.L.Adamson

Thanks for the info Bear! That is really great news.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Bear, couple things. First, why is the text so small in your msg's? I am going blind trying to read them! Second, when you say everything works in the VC, does the ND/PFD work as they do in a 2D panel meaning can you see your waypoints and the like on the ND when in Plan/Map mode?

Eric 

Guest odog

Mike... Did you ever end up buying 2004? :-) I mean no disrespect to the lifers in this old thread, but I felt like i HAD to dig it up. Kind of a "historical perspective" I LOVE this time of year, they ALL come out.at least enjoy the ride! :-)I am

>Mike... Did you ever end up buying 2004? :-)>>> I mean no disrespect to the lifers in this old thread, but I>felt like i HAD to dig it up. Kind of a "historical>perspective" >> I LOVE this time of year, they ALL come out.>>at least enjoy the ride! :-)>>I am>>They call this "necroposting" where I come from (the internets), I think this is hilarious.

Guest Vilk

i would enjoy the ride much more in that 185 ;-)

Guest odog

>i would enjoy the ride much more in that 185 ;-)ha ha Vilk, pm me here or if you have my new email. You won a free one for remembering. :-lol (it's beta-ish)>necroposting!! LOL that's goodwell then, Behold the Necronomicon!!