Sign in to follow this  
Guest EZYFlyer

Files duplicated to FS.com?

Guest EZYFlyer

Hi allI have (or had) a few files on the Avsim library, mostly AFCADs. I don't upload them anywhere else. However, the other day I got a rather nice email from a chap who had downloaded from Flightsim.com one of my AFCADs and was thanking me for it. I thought he'd got confused but checked FS.com anyway, and sure enough, every one of my AFCADs appeared there too (along with the airport's logo, which I certainly never included, and text that was not written by me :-)).Now don't get me wrong I have absolutely no objections to my work being shared with whoever, and I was still creditted so that's absolutely fine, I'm just curious who would have taken the time to download from here, then upload them on another website! Is it standard practice that this happens, or has somebody maybe done it due to the library being down here?CheersNoel

I have had it also,and I don't mind,Avsim has the scoop usually,but FS.com may have it as well.I have uploaded some myself,others just appeared,no Idea why,but they always credit the original author so no problem.

I have had it also,and I don't mind,Avsim has the scoop usually,but FS.com may have it as well.I have uploaded some myself,others just appeared,no Idea why,but they always credit the original author so no problem.
I was also rather surprised to find that the occasional file I uploaded to the AVSIM library was also appearing on Flightsim.I have ascertained that it is considered to be normal practice. However, if you don't want Flightsim to copy your AVSIM uploads to their library, just say so in a readme, and flightsim.com will not copy it.Although I normally prefer the AVSIM library, I believe that flightsim.com has a better search engine.

Guest EZYFlyer

Yeah I really don't have any objections to them going over to Flightsim, in fact I've been using that site since I started simming in 1997 - my username and password to that site remind me of when I was a kid :-) But since discovering this site I've been using this site for the last few years.The more the merrier I say though, they're both great sites and I only upload to one because I don't really have time to do both, so they're helping me out in a way :-)Noel.

Same here, found many of my "exclusive" to Avsim files there as well as a few other sites - I also don't mind as long as I am given credit as well as any other authors that the work is based on, and very importantly that the site doesn't require payment to logon and download the files...All the best,Philip.

Same here, found many of my "exclusive" to Avsim files there as well as a few other sites - I also don't mind as long as I am given credit as well as any other authors that the work is based on, and very importantly that the site doesn't require payment to logon and download the files...All the best,Philip.
I'm not an uploader but strictly download as I don't have the skills as a developper. What I find intriguing from what you say guys, is that the files on Flightsim don"t use the same zip name (but for the zip ending :( ). The result is that I sometimes download the same file I already had from AVSIM.. What can be done to prevent this? You can't check all the contents of the file everytime before downloading it.Claude

Guest Pyscen
I'm not an uploader but strictly download as I don't have the skills as a developper. What I find intriguing from what you say guys, is that the files on Flightsim don"t use the same zip name (but for the zip ending :( ). The result is that I sometimes download the same file I already had from AVSIM.. What can be done to prevent this? You can't check all the contents of the file everytime before downloading it.Claude
Unfortunately,... nothing... FS.com uses the old standard filenames (ex 8-digit and extension).Pyscen

Unfortunately,... nothing... FS.com uses the old standard filenames (ex 8-digit and extension).Pyscen
Actually, there is. Both AVSIM and FS.com provide the ability to "peek into the file" and read the readme.txt files, or fileid.diz files. Thus despite the 8.3 filename limitation at FS.com, you can see if the contents of the .zip are something you already have... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Actually, there is. Both AVSIM and FS.com provide the ability to "peek into the file" and read the readme.txt files, or fileid.diz files. Thus despite the 8.3 filename limitation at FS.com, you can see if the contents of the .zip are something you already have... :(
Yes I know but one doesn't have the reflex to do that each time. anyway thanks for the info about the 8 digits limitation which I did not know.Claude :(

Guest Phantoms

There is nothing to stop the developers from using the old 8.3 filename standard, then they'd show up the same anywhere they put them. It's up to each author themselves and I believe it also has a lot to do with when they started using computers. I still try to stick to the 8.3 filename out of habit, but have no problem with someone who doesn't.

Guest napamule

FltSimCom requires (or, used to) that you include a 'File_Id.Diz' which gave a brief discription of file being uploaded, and author's name. It's merely a '*.txt' file, as you make it with notepad. I agree with this as a requirement. But, lately I have seen files uploaded where you can't find the 'uploader's' name anywhere (you click on 'view' in file listing to go dbl click .diz or readme file) , as it's not always uploaded by the author, but by someone else. I DO NOT agree that 'it's ok' for anybody to upload. Why? Because just like you can't find who uploaded the file, you might not notice any changes to cfg, air, or panel gauges (ie: xml=call home, or even hidden trojans). NO one but author should upload anywhere. I find other sites post link to YouTube videos on their sites without video author's permission (me) (found by Google of your YT username). What you have to do it make it clear in text that you don't want your files uploaded anywhere EXCEPT YouTube, AvSim or FSCom, so you can sue if something is 'wrong' and you get blamed. But, there is a lot of disrespect and devil may care attitude, as it's hard to prosecute. I no longer upload ANY FILES ANYWHERE because of abuse and piracy. So I am only adding my 2 cents for what it's worth. And FSCom's new 'file system' does accept 'long file names' now. The old 8.3 names are still good. So maybe that is why you see AvSim files at FSCom. Another can of worms for Nels (poor guy).Chuck BNapamule

Guest Pyscen
There is nothing to stop the developers from using the old 8.3 filename standard, then they'd show up the same anywhere they put them. It's up to each author themselves and I believe it also has a lot to do with when they started using computers. I still try to stick to the 8.3 filename out of habit, but have no problem with someone who doesn't.
Your definately right there on the choice of the developers use of filenames (8.3 standard)... I meant nothing wrong about it being old either... I grew up with the "old" way. Does that make me old... Yes. At least I know the differences. lol :(

Last time I looked fs still was wanting 8.3 file names, which is just too much a hassle for me. But then I go back to Unix before CP/M invented the 8.3 notation.scott s..

With my files it also happens that they go to fs.com, but they do sometimes modify the text to point to earlier versions or fixes that you make later. The authors info. does stay and that's alright for me. Also they do sometimes make their own thumbnail which is nice. No problem with that whatsoever. :(

Meet the Fokkers

I agree, in each case where I have found some of my files there, at least the description stays true to the release, and even as you mentioned, has some other useful information added. Typically what happens is I primarily upload to Avsim, so my file names are quite descriptive - much easier to find a file in your downloads folder when the name tells the story. Then I take the upload to FS.com and Simviation - have to then rename to conform with the 8.3 naming standard, but with all of my releases I include many screenshots and docs that in Avsim and FS.com can be viewed in the file info - I don't think Simviation has that feature though...Anyway, I am one of the many in the crowd patiently awaiting the return of the Avsim file library! :)All the best,Philip.