Sign in to follow this  
Guest EZYFlyer

Files duplicated to FS.com?

I too have been the "victim" of duplicated files that I have uploaded to AVSIM and then found elsewhere, primarily FS.com I have also found a number of my uploads duplicated within the AVSIM Library as well, under some one elses name.Many years ago I would upload repaints at regular intervals however stopped doing that due to a lack of security and/or protection given by AVSIM to those of us who do/did upload. I understand that AVSIM cannot be held accountable when an individual downloads a file, then re uploads the same to another web site; however, when the one persons files are downloaded then re-uploaded back to AVSIM by another individual then I must question the integrity of the security measures in place.Many here have said that including (in the Read Me file) locations that a particular file cannot be uploaded to, usage restrictions etc will prevent a file from being placed on a site other than the one uploaded to by the original author. This is simply a nieve notion. Any person who is intends "abusing" the system is going to ignore any requirements notated by the author, as has been seen, and the majority of abusers remain anonymous and untouchable in any case. Whether there is a notation within the read me files of uploaded files or not, and whether the original author is accredited with the file that has been re up-loaded to another site other than the intended site is (in my opinion) irrelevant. As the original author it is my perogative to upload files to sites that I choose, not someone elses.AVSIM is so large it cannot possibly offer any servicable degree of property security without dedicating a group of individuals to constantly inspect each and every file that is uploaded to ensure legitimacy. More so, they (AVSIM) cannot control who down loads those files or what they do with them after wards. At the risk of stating the obvious, AVSIM is a free site and it becomes the uploaders responsibility to accept the inherant risks in making their work freely available on the internet.Finally, while AVSIM (or any site) is not perfect, it still provides a centralised area for people to locate software and offers an opportunity for people to display their work free of charge and with a degree of ease. While I no longer uplaod to any sites, I hope that the AVSIM Library is returned in as short a time frame as possible and, perhaps, with increased security in place.

Guest Phantoms
As the original author it is my perogative to upload files to sites that I choose, not someone elses.
I agree, but do to the nature of the internet the only way for you to keep control of your file is to not upload it anywhere.

So then that would mean the end of freeware, or the sharing of freeware files that is. Let's put it this way, even if you were distributing your files strictly via email by request only, do you honestly think that none of the recipients are going to either send it via email to their friends or simply upload it to a site of their choosing? The sad reality is, commercial products have the law on its side, but freeware is I gather considered less important. As I have already indicated, I have found many of my files on other file libraries that I seldom even go to - have no real problem with that provided I am still getting credited in the description. In the beginning it did irritate me, but let's face it, there is no real way to prevent it. If it is really a problem then you do have the right to contact the admin of the file library in question and request that the file be removed. I have even found some of my work included in a completely freeware based package being sold on eBay - I was and still am pretty disgusted that even after numerous emails to them reporting this nothing was eventually done! Some stupid idiot ultimately ended up paying for freeware... LOLPhilip.

Same here:- Not being paranoid or overly concerned I noticed, after a bit of surfing, that some of the files I submitted to this library (exclusively) have appeared on another site. All the credits etc. are intact so it's no real skin off my nose but do you guys at AVSIM get ###### with it?

Guest Gary Buska

In this day and age like some one said above the only way to prevent your file(s) from showing up in places you do not want them is to not upload it anywhere. There are just to many people that just love doing things that are not what most of us call right. Why do you think we have hackers, viruses and spy ware?

Same here:- Not being paranoid or overly concerned I noticed, after a bit of surfing, that some of the files I submitted to this library (exclusively) have appeared on another site. All the credits etc. are intact so it's no real skin off my nose but do you guys at AVSIM get ###### with it?
Simple answer is yes. Poaching content from one site to populate another site is unethical at best. AVSIM does not do that and we expect other so called "community" sites to practice the same. We have no control over what a legitimate user does with a file; in his enthusiasm, he may upload a file to another site in the spirit of sharing with the community, as an example. What I really have an issue with is when a site owner / manager uses library content from AVSIM to populate his own without asking the author of the file for permission to do so. "Freeware" has nothing to do with it. It is simply good manners as far as I am concerned. Ferdy over at FSPlanet is a perfect example. He has been a leach for years and continues (apparently) to get away with it.

I agree Tom. When NAS Pensacola first came out, I uploaded it to Avsim exclusively. Shortly thereafter the operators of two other libraries both wrote me an email requesting that they be allowed to carry the scenery on their sites. I agreed, changed the copyright notice and sent it to both of them as well. One of those sites will not post unless I upload to them and on the other site ... sometimes my stuff magically appears with no further action on my part. To their credit, though, they have never refused to take a file down that I've asked. I have had to issue takedown notices on a few occasions for folks using my stuff in an altered fashion, or passing it off as their own.I can always count on a professional relationship where Avsim is concerned.Thanks,Jim

Guest Chairborne
...on the other site ... sometimes my stuff magically appears with no further action on my part...
*Coff* FSPLANET! *Coff* :(

Same story here with my work. I feel that as long as my name shows as the author, I don't mind being uploaded to FlightSim.com. Especially now that AVSIM's library is down, people are still looking for files to download. I have personally downloaded files from FlightSim that are no longer being available here at AVSIM. Recently I've been looking for textures for the Evolve AI models and it is very frustrating not being able to find them here, and I don't know where else to get them from.

Guest Dave1955
Same story here with my work. I feel that as long as my name shows as the author, I don't mind being uploaded to FlightSim.com. Especially now that AVSIM's library is down, people are still looking for files to download. I have personally downloaded files from FlightSim that are no longer being available here at AVSIM. Recently I've been looking for textures for the Evolve AI models and it is very frustrating not being able to find them here, and I don't know where else to get them from.
I know how you feel, I have recently downloaded what sounds like a very interesting flight around washington state but find to my dismay that I need extra files from Avsim or a site that no longer functions. Come back soon folks, we all miss you so much.Dave

The only time I objected to some of my stuff appearing on a site I had not uploaded to was when they were charging for its download! Dont remember the name of the site but they removed it when asked to do so. They were at the time offering free downloads to anyone who uploaded stuff, so I assume someone gained from my freeware.

Guest LanceArn

Ah, the modern internet. Isn't it a wonderful thing... :( It has the ability to allow us to share everything in our life, but on the flip side, it allows everyone else to share everything in your life also (and unfortunately take credit for it). The only way to stop worrying about these people from sharing is to remember one very important thing. Only uplode what you are prepared to see shared all over the net (which is why I carefully choose what I uplode these days).I remember a time before the internet. The days of BBS was truely magical and yet painfull as well. It was a text only system and if you wanted to share a program you had to post the entire code for the program to the 'Bulletin Board', which allowed the other members to copy them to their computer. But it meant you had to do all the programming on your computer personally (no automatic programming in those days). This prevented a lot of unwanted copying and reposting under their own name. So I suppose, the internet is what we have today and we have to work within those paramaters and unfortunately that exposes us and our work to those who look to profit from our efforts and stopping it is a monumental task.If you find an answer to this, let me know, PLEASE......