Sign in to follow this  
Guest jason2112

Twin Otter Opinions.....

Guest WorkingStiff

I'm like to get some opinions on the best available Twin Otter. Is it Lago's rendition or is it the freeware version by Eric Dantes?I'm attempting to relive two summers of my youth I spent trekking around the jungles of South America.http://www.airliners.net/open.file/049868/M/

Guest racartron

Tough question. I

I own the Lago Twin Otter and I am very pleased with how it flys, looks and sounds. It is well worth the money you would spend for it. The paint schemes I think are better than the freeware version of it, reflections and gmax....

Guest WorkingStiff

Thanks guys.I'm assuming you both are using the latest version of Lago's Twin Otter, version 1.13, since I recall a number of significant problems with the earlier releases.

I'd third that notion of Lago's Twotter. I really have enjoyed flying that bird, although I very much enjoy the freeware version as well. The VC is outstanding in Lago's. And yes, it's v.1.13.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Wrong on both counts. Check out Barry Blaidsell's Two Otter at Premaircraft with the great panel. :DJack

mmmm...intresting one. I was really happy when Eric Dantes Twin Otter variations were released. They may not have ALL the bells and whistles offered by a Gmax model, but they have a couple of other features that set them apart from anything else available, including the LAGO Twin Otter (which I also have). The Lago model is fine. It comes with loads of liveries, and is a full Gmax model, so you get the nice features that you come to expect from Gmax, reflections (although I don't think with relation to this model they are a 'nice' feature!), rolling wheels, opening doors etc. BUT, that doesn't make it superior...what I don't like is that the flaperons (combined ailerons and flaps) are not very well done at all on the Lago model. Whereas on Erics Twin Otter they are fantastically realistic, extending just as they should, complete with slots. I actually prefer Erics VC. But that really is just personnal opinion with regard to that, as I can see why people would like the Lago one better, the gauges are certainly sharper. But, its still a bit simple! Erics VC has realistic textures throughout, and Lago haven't modelled everything inside the cockpit, whereas Eric has. Then there is his virtual cabin, which is fantastic, and which Lago's model lacks. I also happen to think that the reflections on the Lago model are RIDICULOUSLY over exaggerated. The damn things are like mirrors! OK, maybe not a very valid arguement, given that you can turn reflections off, but they didn't need to overdo it to that degree. I haven't seen many shiny Twin Otters, thats for sure!Basically, to reiterate what someone has already said, I fly them both, and enjoy them both. However, I have to say, that I was a bit disappointed by the Lago model. Thats not to say that it isn't good, it is...but its just that as a payware product, I expected it to be streets ahead of Erics model...and it certainly isn't. Infact his beats the hell out of it in a couple of areas.My personnal advice? If you can spare the money, go for it, get hold of both models. If not, then just download Erics model, and have loads of fun, with a fantastic rendition of a classic aircraft...thats absolutely free!Best regards,Al Summers.

Guest Ian Ritchie

Lagos is a very cool little bird. Great for hopping around everywhere.

Guest Rockcliffe

Great Twin Otter sounds available at Barry's Premier Aircraft site.I don't have the Lago version, but enjoy Eric's very much. Barry's panel is good too, as already recommended.Blair

Guest gasebah

I only can give some advise on LAGO's Twotter as I own this bird. The fligt dynamics are the most ridiculous ever released with a payware plane. That thing is a crossing of a hot air balloon and a fighter jet. The visual model is great though.Alex

Guest WorkingStiff

Guys,Thanks very much for your opinions; its amazing how the responses are so varied on the Lago version. Of course you now do realize that I'm even more confused than before. :-)I think I'll try out the two freeware versions first to see if they suit my needs; if not I'll bite the bullet and get Lago's.

Guest jason2112

I'd really like to hear the opinion of somebody who actually flies a Twin Otter. Personally I don't like turbines, because their reactions are so slow - or at least it is that way in the sim with Lago's Twin Otter and PSS' Dash8. But on the other hand this makes approaches quite interesting, so I sometimes really enjoy both planes.What I really like about Lago's plane in comparison to the freeware versions is the very sharp virutal cockpit. I have actually turned down some texture sizes in order to make it faster, but it's still amazing. Blocky textures and gauges really destroy the immersion factor for me.Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]