Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

FS2004 COF and ground handling....

>Regarding the way fs2002 behaves on the ground, as a user of>many other sims, I have to disagree with you regarding there>being no good examples. I can list IL2 (of course, and don't>find the slighthest comparison between it and MSFS...), Flight>Unlimited 2 & 3, Airline Simulator 2 (wich remarkably>reproduces ground static and dynamic friction coeficients IMHO>far better than any other flightsim of it's type. Fly2 and>X-Plane are yet other examples of sims that do a much better>job than MSFS2002 in this area...FLYII ---- doesn't really feel like your pushing against much force with your right rudder. Has a bad tendency to just release any shape or form of force, and then tracks right off to the right, and requires quick corrections. Not such a good example IMO-----X-Plane ---- using a single engine prop aircraft as an example. Will track straight with no "feel" of left drift (torque/slipstream/P-factor). But the milli-second the wheels leave the ground, then some force is all of sudden present. In reality, you'll be pushing just about as much right rudder on the ground, as you will once in flight to maintain runway center-line. FS2002 happens to do this very well!>Adamson, as you advance the throttle, please get to the>external view from 6:00, and while you fight the slipstream>and torque effects, look at how stupidly she sideslips ON the>runway, with the undercarriage some times being draged at an>angle of almost 30 degres from the rw axis!!! Is this>good/acceptable?????I did many times after your initial post. The SF260 is one of the trickier ones to control until speed builds up. Then it will track right down the centerline with correct rudder input. I don't see anything close to thirty degrees. Other's such as the RealAir 182 files (which are some of the best for tracking BTW, Dreamfleet Archer & Cardinal are no problem whatsoever.>I am also a (proud) ELITE user. Excellent! I used ON TOP about 10 years ago. Now I have to spend that "kind" of money on airplane alternators & exhaust pipes.. :)>As a final note, AS2 is probably the sim that better models>the effects of contaminated runways on the way aircraft behave>during landing, takeoff or while taxiing, with strong>crosswinds and slipery surfaces (rain, snow or icy conditions>of various degrees are simulated!!!). Of course, on an icy or>snow covered, or even "very wet" rw you should expect that>kind of sideslip while on ground, but in fs2002 we all know>such effects are not modelled - right?Not sure I care that much.... except for what would amount to "visual effects" (hate the term "eye-candy"). All of those last second side slipping yaw effects that you experience in a real aircraft, just don't seem to come through realistically on a desk-top. But FWIW ---the SF260 does come across as quite a good imitation --- for FS2002 of course..L.Adamson