Sign in to follow this  
raam123

OUT OF MEMERY WITH VISTA !

Now I'm really frustrated. I switched to Vista 64bit, My system is ATI 4870X2, 4GB, High end.I flew for 10.5 hrs and got OOM just about 10nm final.I used fs9 with PMDG 747 + ASV6.I did expect it with XP but with Vista ? Any tips ? I do try to stretche it to the limit.Ittai.

Now I'm really frustrated. I switched to Vista 64bit, My system is ATI 4870X2, 4GB, High end.I flew for 10.5 hrs and got OOM just about 10nm final.I used fs9 with PMDG 747 + ASV6.I did expect it with XP but with Vista ? Any tips ? I do try to stretche it to the limit.Ittai.
First I would restart, then start the Task Manager to check your memory usage % before loading FS9. Then load up FS9 and monitor the memory usage through the flight. This might help to see if another application is using RAM you need or if FS9 is using more than normal...I would think a Gig or little more to FS9 is more than plenty for you to have a lot left for other apps. You have 4GB...that is a lot more that needed for FS9 I think.On my old laptop with 2GB of RAM and Vista Sp1 I had 38% free with just system tray programs running. With FS9 running I would get close to 80% (That is with shared 128MB of video memory.). I only had a nVidia 6150. :(My current system is Win7 RC 64bit, 4GB of RAM, and only a dedicated 256MB ATI 4350 mobility. When I'm playing FS9 I have FS9, traffic add-ons, and ActiveSky running I with no issues. I have seen FS9 get close to 1GB of memory usage at one point. but no memory problems.I am highly suspecting something else to be at fault, but sorry that I have not definitive answer for you. I would try to narrow things down and see if it is an outside app, then FS9 or an add-on for it.I will be reinstalling vista and putting SP3 on it, so I might have a different experience on Vista than 7, but they built on a lot of the same code. I will try.I hope you get things fixed. Good luck

If you are genuinely out of memory (which I doubt), then you could try using Readyboost, which is a function of Vista whereby it can configure SD Cards and USB plug in pen drives as extra memory.If you've never tried it, simply plug a USB pen drive or an SD card into your computer and if it is of a compatible type, Vista will ask you if you want to configure it as extra memory. It's not as fast as real RAM, but it is faster than a HD's virtual memory capabilities. I have an SD Card permanently plugged into my laptop set up in that way, which effectively gives me another 32 Meg of RAM on top of its built-in RAM and it does help it with apps that use a lot of memory.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I will try again,Rebbot start the flight and set an external HD as extra memory, I'll advise in the 12hrs ggg :(

If you are genuinely out of memory (which I doubt), then you could try using Readyboost, which is a function of Vista whereby it can configure SD Cards and USB plug in pen drives as extra memory.If you've never tried it, simply plug a USB pen drive or an SD card into your computer and if it is of a compatible type, Vista will ask you if you want to configure it as extra memory. It's not as fast as real RAM, but it is faster than a HD's virtual memory capabilities. I have an SD Card permanently plugged into my laptop set up in that way, which effectively gives me another 32 Meg of RAM on top of its built-in RAM and it does help it with apps that use a lot of memory.Al

Did you change your fs9.exe executable to be large address aware?!? If you did not, its the same as having a 32bit OS...

Did you change your fs9.exe executable to be large address aware?!? If you did not, its the same as having a 32bit OS...
KISS Keep it Simple Stupid.... Word Not Allowed obviously asked the most simple question and offered the most simple answer so that is where I would start ;). The OP never mentions setting fs9.exe to largeaddressaware which would explain a lot unless there is a scenery that is causing a memory leak in his installation. That is still possible, even with a 64 bit O/S...-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Hi,I've had this problem a few times.I've always traced it down to a scenery file, normally a landclass file.Have a look at your start off scenery.Best regards and good luck.Peter

What do you mean please explain with details !Cause when I open task manager I do see fs9.exe*32*

KISS Keep it Simple Stupid.... Word Not Allowed obviously asked the most simple question and offered the most simple answer-Paul
Just wanted to apologize, I was at work, and didn't have much time to search for a broader explanation, or to write one. But I see it has been posted already!

Do you have the FS9 exe flagged to use large address aware?As many people on here have said, it is rare for 64bit to get an OOM error BUT you should have the flag set to see beyond the 32bit 2GB limit just for a case like yours.10 hours huh? Geez I feel for ya!Go here and use this tool to patch fs9.exe to see beyond 2GB.....http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Do you have the FS9 exe flagged to use large address aware?As many people on here have said, it is rare for 64bit to get an OOM error BUT you should have the flag set to see beyond the 32bit 2GB limit just for a case like yours.10 hours huh? Geez I feel for ya!Go here and use this tool to patch fs9.exe to see beyond 2GB.....http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Ok I followed instructions, although again in Taskmanager it show fs9.exe*32*, how can I tell (except flying again for 10.5 hrs... :( ) that it is indeed flagged to use large address aware ?

It will always show as fs9.exe*32* as it is a 32bit application. But with the flag set to use large address aware it will see beyond the 2GB limit 32bit uses. Setting that flag tells the 32bit application to look beyond 2GB of VAS.So long as you followed the instructions (they are pretty simple) I would say your good to go......

(except flying again for 10.5 hrs... :( )
Reopen the file in the CFF Explorer, and see if its set. There is no other way to check if the flight will go through except flying it again.

One more question. Were you flying into aerosofts heathrow? That partcular scenery is known for this particular problem with complex add-ons. It has happened to me so I switched to uk2000 heathrow.