Sign in to follow this  
ArnoJansen

Slow downloads

Sorry to post this subject again but I am still getting very slow downloads from the AVSIM library, but not other sites.This slow download has been going on for months now and attempting to get large files is becoming a real pain.I have a 1MB connection to the 'Net but my download speeds are in the order of 1KB/s or less with frequent time outs.I am currently downloading and did a tracert to www.avsim.com and the largest times I get are the last hop, 119ms, 109ms, 111ms.2 Questions.1) Can anyone tell me what speeds I should be getting?2) Is there anything obvious causing the slow speeds I can check given the results from tracert?Thanks

Guest Matt Johnson

There were issues earlier today with network access to AVSIM, and access will be slower than normal for the next few hours due to another server suffering a disk failure. However, there have not been any "continuing" issues. Downloading over a 1Mb link at "non-peak" times should yield between 100 and 150kBytes/sec. At peak times this may reduce to 30-40kBytes/sec.

Thanks Matt.Before my problem started I was getting a minimum of 30KB/s and usually 60-70.Any thoughts on what I could look for given that other sites give me speeds around 60 -70KB/s or more?Given the global nature of AVSIM, are ther any 'off peak' times :-)

Guest Matt Johnson

Not really too sure. The only "gotcha" might be that we use FTP for our downloads and not too many other sites do that.Off peak == morning UK time is a good bet.

'Off peak' solved the problem Matt, unless it coincided with the new server.Many thanks.