Sign in to follow this  
Guest RobA

More FSCOF Screen Shots!

Hello all,Another flight sim site has a link to FSMagazine with lots of FSCOF screenshots (106), so I figured I would pass along the link. #28 in the series shows some new lightning effects (I think), its kinda small. Although this may not be a "break-through" type release, I believe it's an excellent refinement on an already great sim. Great job MSFS team! Anyway, enough from me, Enjoy the pics!-ThadLink: http://www.hostlab.nl/~pmmqldiy/nl/modules...=view_album.php

Nice shots...Very interesting--some showed a fps counter of about 20fps... I have to wonder what type of system achieved that. Since the counter was locked, there'd be no way to gauge performance even if the specs of the system were known...I do like what seems like improvements to the ground textures.... Lighting looks great as well. I recall we didn't see this type of flood of shots until shortly before FS2002's release, so I suspect the July date is on target, minus any adjustments MS makes for political reasons.-John

to bad the link doesnt work, oh well:-( :-( :-(

The link is working again now.These are some great shots. I really like the new runway textures. The clouds look great, and they stretch all the way to the horizon.Also, I am happy to see that the lens flare effect is only visible from an external camera. It doesn't happen "through the pilot's eyes" in the cockpit, which is a bit of a relief.Can't wait for July....

WOW - those dawn/dusk high-altitude screenshots are GREAT!Lens flare fan or not, they really seem to have nailed the coloring and feel of a high altitude sunrise!(try that link again - it certainly does work!)

>I do like what seems like improvements to the ground>textures.... yeah, but when I took a good look at those ground textures that really look very nice - they all turn out to be part of some high resolution scenery (like DFW, Miami aiport, etc). I suspect their basic generic scenery is almost unchanged (except perhaps of the autogen).Michael J.

I see what you mean.... I didn't notice the cloverleaf in one of the shots until you pointed that out.... Seems like they are applying the high res scenery around a few more major airports....

these screenshots look great, i love the weather, clouds, and i also love the way the sky changes color when u go higher!also did u know that there are storm fronts now, u can see banks of coulds, so its not cloudy all over the place.. u can avouid storms now, just like in the real world.i will be the first one at ebgames in los angeles to buy fscofrezaklax

I'm impressed with several things I see in the photos:> Additional options for AI aircraft labels.Being able to see the AI altitude and make of aircraft is a nice addition, plus some of the other new label settings.> The way the cloud base illuminates as the lightning extends to the ground is very nice. The thickness of the bolt is also much better.> Taxiway signs everywhere... Yes!And they are not overly sized like with other add-on signs.> New runway textures. > More interactive options on the ATC windows.The ability to chose a different runway after listening to ATIS and before contacting ground was a nice touch. With Radar Contact you have to call ground and get a runway assignment before you are able to request a different runway. Doesn't make sense when ATIS tells you the active runway.> Twilight is a very nice effect.> It's great to see MS taking some of Richard Harvey's brilliant ideas from FLY and placing them into FS. Bravo!I'm sure we are in for more subtle suprises, but thanks to FSMagazine for the preview. :-)

Guest RobA

In Radar Contact, if you already know the weather and what rwy you want, you can choose that rwy before starting RC. This would eliminate your problem.Best, Rob

Rob,Thanks for the reply, and yes, I understand the option is available. My comment pertains to the logical order of runway selection after RC is running. I don't understand why the runway option is not made available after ATIS is selected and before contacting ground control (as shown in the FSCOF screenshot). The selection only becomes available after contacting ground control.The audio appears to be available when we can request another runway, so why not append it to the audio that plays when ground control is initially contacted, if the user so choses?For example, the user selects between and after the ATIS command plays. plays as usual. If the user picks then the normal runway selection commands appear. After choosing a runway, the program then contacts ground and plays the same script and appends the script for the request for the new runway. This would save the user from having to listen to ground, then select the runway, and then get the requested runway.The command would also appear after contacting ground, as it does currently, in case the user wants a different runway after contact.The suggested change would make it more realistic since pilots normally enter their runway request when they contact ground.It's just a suggestion for the next RC upgrade. :-)Stay cool! Redding is starting to warm up! :-cool Bruce

Guest cloudtops

Happened to notice that in many spot view shots the Shift+Z info contains percent of fuel remaining.Kevin

Guest Lizardo

Very impressive. But it seems as if the "autogen" slider, for buildings, is set back. I wish in each series of shots from anyone they'd show us their sliders.

Guest Rob

Interesting screenshots ... although I'd be disappointed if my frame rates were that hopeless. Shame there's no system spec there.

"....Shame there's no system spec there....."The shots were taken on a 2.5 GHZ system, and I believe a GEF-4/4400 or 4600.... The exact specs were posted in the screenshots forum.The fps do seem a disappointment. I saw yet another post showing the same--fps below 20 with clouds, and not an AI aircraft in sight. Let's face it--MS sold us AI with a fps penalty, and FS2002 still sells. I hope we start seeing shots soon of what the slider options do to the weather detail, and how they effect framerates. The recent influx of shots makes me wonder what type of upgrade will really be required for FS2004.... And one unknown--how does AI factor into the performance shown in these shots? There are some times when AI is not visible, but it has a big impact even on 2.5 Gig systems running FS2002....These shots, given the number they are coming in, lead me to believe that FS2004 was largely complete some weeks ago. I wouldn't expect anything beyond what we're seeing at this point, both in terms of performance and in terms of graphics...-John