Sign in to follow this  

Best photorealistic scenery?

I found out that generic textures don't cut it for me anymore. Not even the good ones like FTX. I am tired of seeing the same textures everywhere I go. Right now I am having fun above Horizon's VFR GenX (England and Wales) but I wonder what is considered to be the BEST photorealistic scenery around! The new Tongass Fjords looked interesting, but I found out it'a also mainly generic textures. I want everything as real as it can be, so... which addon should I get? Or is Horizon's VFR GenX already the best...?

I found out that generic textures don't cut it for me anymore. Not even the good ones like FTX. I am tired of seeing the same textures everywhere I go. Right now I am having fun above Horizon's VFR GenX (England and Wales) but I wonder what is considered to be the BEST photorealistic scenery around! The new Tongass Fjords looked interesting, but I found out it'a also mainly generic textures. I want everything as real as it can be, so... which addon should I get? Or is Horizon's VFR GenX already the best...?
I've realized that you need all these three.1. A good size Photo scenery for Day and night2. Reasonable autogens 3. Good payware Airport addon4. Nice to have are cities.The following are some that meet atleast 3 of those 4 requirements1. Yes VFR UK along with London scenery and UK2000 Aiport addons for Gatwick and Heathrow2. Fly Tampa's ST. Maarten, Saba and St. Barth Islands3. Fly Tampa's Hongkong4. Megascenery Hawaii O'ahu and Aerosoft's Dillingham Airport + some freeware autogens.5 Megascenery California (High resoultion textures for the 95% of California with autogens and Night textures)6. I just got Mollarca from Aerosoft (Luv this one)7. VFR Frances Northern Alps + LLH's Courchavel + FS Dreamteams Zurich + Freeware of Italian Alps high resolution textures http://scenarialpinifsx.blogspot.com/And to top it all off. Segway scenery between these condensed and high resolution scenery is FSAltititude for high altititude flying. I have FS Altititude for Western Europe and Western USA (Eastern USA is due anytime). There is also Australia (which I don't have).Those are the ones I can think off right now.MannyPS: Generic textures would work if its augmented with some photo scenery like what Flight Scenery did with Portland fs9. Also what Aerosoft did with some fs9 scenery for locations I forget near EDDF. There were some amazing generic stuff that they cleaned up. So there are exceptions.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Go to Bluesky scenery-it is free (donation if you feel like it and you probably will):http://www.blueskyscenery.com/index.html

An interesting development on that front is the FS Altitude offerings. Take a look at their demo video of their European scenery and I daresay you'll be impressed with the look of the UK from up high. You might not be impressed with how long those videos of it take to buffer over your connection, but it is worth the wait to see it.Since you have the MD-11 on your signature, I presume that sort of high FL cruising is up your street. It's not a cheap add-on and I'm still trying to justify the price myself before purchasing it, but since you do get a large chunk of Europe in one of their sets, that alleviates the cost a little, and I can feel myself being drawn to it despite the price, as I was certainly impressed with the looks.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest TimS

tileproxy (but it does take a lot of memory)

Megascenery Hawaii is for me the best photo scenery made for FSX so far.Unfortunately the Megascenery Earth serie is really below average.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Dont forget FS dreamscapes...... excellent product. You have to team any of the suggestions up with the highest resolution mesh you can get. dreamscapes do some good meshes at 5m resolution. megasceneryearth is good, but the quality is variable. the good thing is, you can buy tile by tile. California is mostly excellent, all the megasceneryX boxed sets are great. Also aerosoft maderia is very good.I use only photoscenery now, I think even with its limitations it provides a much more realistic experience. My advice is to ditch the autogen as well, you dont really need it and it does not sit well with the photoscenery.cheers,Mark

tileproxy (but it does take a lot of memory)
I have to agree that TileProxy is the best way to have realistic scenery on FS because it is satellite imagery not artist renditions. It not only is free but covers the entire world depending on the map server you are using. As far as a lot of memory, thats ok by me because its cheap compared to the price of all of the add on packages you would have to buy to equal the coverage of tileproxy. Not only that but if you have an addon scenery package like Hawaii Megascenery and want to fly using that instead just don't start tileproxy and you have your megascenery. Your choice by area you want to fly in. fisheye

I have to agree that TileProxy is the best way to have realistic scenery on FS because it is satellite imagery not artist renditions. It not only is free but covers the entire world depending on the map server you are using. As far as a lot of memory, thats ok by me because its cheap compared to the price of all of the add on packages you would have to buy to equal the coverage of tileproxy. Not only that but if you have an addon scenery package like Hawaii Megascenery and want to fly using that instead just don't start tileproxy and you have your megascenery. Your choice by area you want to fly in. fisheye
I am also a huge Tileproxy fan. And on my system, you can fly for hours without realizing it is there feeding textures to the sim in the background. Here's a couple of my recent screenshots threads:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=249081&hl=http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=249088&hl=My system specs:Intel

For some free outstanding photo scenery - go to http://aussiex.org and check out their download section for the Grand Canyon photoscenery with great mesh included.

Guest roddymod

The very best photoscenery currently available can be found here.There is not much of it yet but it is the best by some margin.http://earthsimulations.com/Rod.

Guest dswo

Switzerland Professional X

Hate to tell ya OP but if you want the best photoscenery it's produced with G2XPL. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/442432-xplane-is-awesome/#entry2991327 Scroll down. Of yeah, you can produce it yourself at better resolutions and levels of fidelity than any available for FSX/P3d, for free. Not trying to start a war, just calling it as I see it in answer to the original post. The pics can't really do it justice but it might be enough to stir you to investigate with an open mind. Or not.

Guys, you are responding to an almost 5 year old topic? Lots of things have changed since then.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10