Sign in to follow this  
Guest rbrown3rd

Weard screne when downloading using Firefox

Guest Matt Johnson

Did you just upgrade Firefox? Old "Download Manager" extensions have been known to cause this problem.

>Did you just upgrade Firefox? Old "Download Manager">extensions have been known to cause this problem.No, i haven't touched firefox since i installed it 6 or 7 months ago - downloads were working fine over the weekend...This is probably something i'm doing but if i attempt to download a file from the library using IE, the download starts immediately and goes to a temporary file without prompting me for a location to store the file in...ThanksGary

>>This is probably something i'm doing but if i attempt to>download a file from the library using IE, the download starts>immediately and goes to a temporary file without prompting me>for a location to store the file in...Edit:Ignore this bit, i've found out why !!!Gary

Hi there,Matt Johnson says something about this problem in relation to existing old extensions in combination with Firefox version updates but even without any extensions the wierd screen is what I repeatably get and no downloads, also with the old Firefox version. However, the "zip dive" does still work correctly.Something strange and unexpected seems to have automatically happened somewhere during the last two weeks or so because Firefox and the technical set up of the Avsim file library unexpectably do not seem to co-operate anymore.Could this whole issue have something to do with automatically installed WindowsXP (security) updates which, judging by another posting in this forum, has caused some (solvable) problems in IE ? This could be the reason why others who havn't installed these updates (yet) do not get the "wierd" screen when using Firefox.I certainly hope someone can solve this emerging problem quickly because reverting back to IE would be a difficult to swallow defeat.GreetingsHansHolland

Guest Tanner

Hi,I recently found I too had been conquered by this problem. Have we found a solution to this problem? I would very much like to use Firefox than IE to download at avsim.Thanks-Tanner

Hi Tanner S and all other Avsim library "wierd screen" victims,As far as I can see in this forum, there is still no solution for this very specific emerging problem between the Avsim libraries and Firefox, nor has it even been acknowledged by any of the Avsim moderators. However, one of them does, elsewhere in this forum, refer to an "issue" in relation to IE and MS's drive for more "security" but that problem (if you have it) seems to be solvable if you follow his instructions.I am now using IE instead of Firefox but only for the single purpose of downloading from the Avsim libraries. However, I do regard this as a form of defeat and hope one or more of the moderators takes the problem a little more seriously instead of just referring to the FAQs where nothing can be found on this specific issue.I sent an e-mail directly to Matt Johnson (one of the moderators) yesterday but have had no reaction (yet). Maybe Avsim is chewing on the problem but at this stage, even a confirmation that the problem exists would be very helpfull by giving the "wierd screen" victims hope that someone at Avsim is in fact doing something, even if Firefox itself would be suspected of being the culprit.RegardsHansHolland

Guest Matt Johnson

The problem is that I've used all the recent versions of Firefox with no such problem. If I can't replicate the issue, I can't resolve it.Previously, this problem was reported when people had downloaded a 'Download Manager' plugin and then upgraded Firefox. I have not seen any other problems with Firefox.

Guest Tanner

>The problem is that I've used all the recent versions of>Firefox with no such problem. If I can't replicate the issue,>I can't resolve it.>>Previously, this problem was reported when people had>downloaded a 'Download Manager' plugin and then upgraded>Firefox. I have not seen any other problems with Firefox.I do remember installing a Download Manager extension a bit back. Maybe that is the case. I'll try some things and see....-Tanner

Thanks Matt for your reaction from which I now also am beginning to suspect my DAP (Download Manager Plus) which, even when fully uninstalled, somehow still causes the "wierd screen" problem. However, the strange thing about this whole issue is that not everybody experiences the same problem even when using WindowsXP SP2 and the latest version of DAP in combination with Firefox, like I did. Thanks again Matt for aiming some of our noses in another direction.Hans

Hi all, I've been having this problem with Firefox too, but I think I may have found the solution. This is what I've done:Go to "tools - options" in the menu, and click on "downloads". In the filetypes box, look for one with a description something like "html winzip file" and delete it.Downloads now seem to work fine now.Hope this helps.Dave G.

Hi Dave G,Im happy that you have managed to solve your problem but with me it's still the same, wierd screens galore. Have you recently downloaded and installed all the latest MS (security) updates ? I'm beginning to suspect one or more of those because I changed nothing in Firefox and this problem suddenly and unexpectedly appeared.I'm stumped !!RegardsHans

Sorry it's of no help to you Hans. The problem started for me after upgrading firefox, but I did install some MS the updates around the same time, so it could have been that. Dave G.

Guest tappy

Dear Gary Just like you i started getting the same problem as you discribed, I had just installed a firefox upgrade that seemed to be no problem until i downloaded from Avsim. I tried other sites and had no problems, that is until I tried Dave G. solution of deleting the "html winzip file" after that could not download from any site and was greeted with an error window, dohhh....Finding no way of replacing the html winzip file. I tried the mozzila help file and found to my surprise under troubleshooting, to solve any problems with downloads and endless other problems, to create a new profile, so following there instructions and rebuiling my new profile all works perfectly now, downloads from avsim and all the other sites work fine.....I hope Gary this helps you to continue using firfox, as I find Mozilla firefox the best browser.goodluck tappy.

Guest pjay55

Hi all,Yesterday was the first time I got garbage when I tried to download from avsim using firefox even though the browser was updated sometime last week. Using tappy's suggestion above, I created a new profile, imported my bookmarks and ran a download. Everything is back to normal.Thanks tappy!The steps for creating a new profile can be found at http:/k.mozillazine.org under knowledge base.Pete