Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

Any Cape Canaveral Scenery?

I just got back from vacation, which included 2 really neat days touring Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center. (Yes, there's so much to do, it really does take that long!) It was incredibly moving to stand at Pad 34 and LC-39 (Pad 34, site of the Apollo 1 fire and LC39, where Columbia launched from a few short months ago) as well as the pad where Alan Shepard launched in 1961. So, I came home and immediately began looking around for some scenery of the Cape area. The problem is, I haven't found any except some old stuff for FS98. So, if anyone knows where some is, I'd appreciate a pointer, or better yet, maybe one of you scenery gurus would be kind enough to make some. I've got a few pics I'd be glad to share if you need them!Thanks, Mark

Guest RSmith

Hi Mark,We live 23 miles west of the Center, and enjoy watching most launches that are announced. The Visitors Complex is a superb place to spend a day or so, for those with any interest in the efforts leading up to the Apollo project, and then the Shuttle. My favorite is the recently rehabbed Saturn 5 on display. I'm still in awe how this thing ever got off the ground !I've not seen any space coast scenery per se. There is Orlando Intl., Tampa, and a bunch of stuff for the SE coast area - West Palm to the Keys. But nothing I'm aware of for the Central Florida area that I know of. In defense, however, Central Florida inland is flat with a bunch of lakes. Not much to really work with......I recently downloaded the remake of the wetland / grass landclass stuff for the Everglades...... I've also installed a few of the airport files to enhance the default facilities - but that's about it.....PS: I have a jpeg (~525mb) of the last ascent of the Columbia. I took the shot from our front yard...... email me if you are interested in seeing it...... the loss of crew and vehicle remains a daily thought for us in the Space Coast region......

Guest Captain Barfbag

KSC1969a.zip in the Library.