Sign in to follow this  

One question for the one's with FS2004 beta ...?

Guest Terblanche

Could you please report if Micro$oft finally got it 'as real as it gets' with runway lights that could switch on during day time in low visibility ...? (And I'm not talking about 200m vis and then runway lights as with FS2002)Believe me, I have about 2000 hours as PIC with real aircraft and most of the times around cities you have approach lights on because of the smog, and even more so when it rains during the day, you could even with three clicks on the Tx switch runway lights on at an unmanned airfield.Why can't MSFS get that together - surely after FS95 we've asked for it and was really disappointed when FS98 came out without the function. Various post and e-mail went to Micro$oft in this regard when they worked on FS2000 and sadly you had to fly into an airfield at (just before) dusk or (after) dawn that are so dark you had to turn the brightness of the monitor up. Then we made a serious attempt to get it in FS2002 without any luck. It is safe to say that at this stage we feel that we have a better change to find WMD in Iraq than to get Micro$oft to put in this rather simple but much needed switch for runway lights.Please report back if you could see those approach lights if you turn the weather on and visibility drops to say

All Beta Testers are bound by NDA

Guest waltch

I agree with Terblanche. This should absolutely be fixed in FS2004.Maybe one of the many posters of FS2004-screenshots can post a shot with an approach during the day in low visibility ... showing whether the Rwy lights are on or not.This would not violate the NDA, as otherwise all screenshot postings would do that.Walter

Guest waltch

Here a link to some new screenshots at another site:http://www.simflight.com/news5/modules.php...rticle&sid=3245They tell me the following:There seem to be some Rwy lights in shot 21 (Phoenix) and that is a day picture, however it is not clear.The landing lights in cockpit view I still do not like. They give a "foggy" view and actually you see less with the lights on!However, the blue taxiway lights seem to be a bit better visible than in FS2002.Walter

"It is safe to say that at this stage we feel that we have a better change to find WMD in Iraq than to get Micro$oft to put in...."How much you willing to bet? ;-)

Guest Terblanche

I've been asked to refrain from remarks regarding WMD by the moderator ... so - I will rest my peace!But I do bet you that Micro$oft will AGAIN not have runway lights in low visibility and if they do well then it will snow this winter in Cape Town!;-)

Guest moomox

Out of curiosity... how do folks get in on the beta?

Not sure what this is all about, can't speak about FS2004 of course but runway lights during the day with low visibility during daylight are *already* there in FS2002, so why would they not be in FS2004???The picture below shows an approach around 1:30PM with a 3/4 miles visibility in FS2002...---All the BestKaty Plutahttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12720.jpg

You get daytime approach lights if vis in FS2002 is set to 1NM or less. It would be nice to be able to see them a bit further out, or at least the option to.-John

Guest Terblanche

Katy :-smile12No offence to you but I was wondering how long it will take before someone makes this statement (again), and that's why I made the comment in the opening message that I'm not talking about dropping the visibility to 200m !!!No pilot without a CATIII ILS rating, in an aircraft with a CATIII ILS certification, for an airline with CATIII ILS rating, operating on an airfield with a CATIII system and maintenance will be allowed to land in such low visibility

actually those are just the vasi lights at phx that you are seeing in that picture... the approach lights are still off during the day there... knowing m$, they probably haven't fixed this yet still... the comments on the CATIII approach is right on. it would be nice if m$ would turn on the beacon at the airport during the day when the weather is less than 2000 and 3, just like real life (i'm sure they could couple this with turning on the approach lights too...just thoughts from a pp-asel-ia

>visibility lower that 8 to 5 nm because in real life it is>absolutely common to have them ON when visibility drops to>under 10 nm and that you will not find in FS2002, and that is>what this is all about.I have no clue what is your basis of this information. It is absolutely NOT true that in real life it is common to see them ON with visibility less than 10 NM. They ONLY are switched ON when airport goes IFR and this won't happen until visibility drops below 3 NM.Michael J.

Hi!OK, I see what you mean, but one mile is not 200m :-) Unless you're talking about the DH?BTW it is KSLC and not only the VASI of course, approach and edge lights are on as well in that FS2002 picture. Let's just say that FS2004 should be better in that aspect if nothing changes in that area (slaps self for babbling and bails out before it gets worse...)---All the BestKaty Pluta

This is taken directy from the FAA site about operation of the runway edge lights:b. Between sunrise and sunset, turn the lights on when the surface visibility is less than 2 miles as described in subparas 11-1-7a1 and a2. Michael J.