Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

FS2002: Mip-Mapping

Guest sfgiants

Greetings.With FS2004 having a new slider for mip-mapping, I'm assuming this graphic card feature controls the textures in MS Flight Sim like for blurry textures.What is mip-mapping?Which driver improves mip-mapping?Tim

Guest Kurt

Tim,"With FS2004 having a new slider for mip-mapping, I'm assuming this graphic card feature controls the textures in MS Flight Sim like for blurry textures."This is only a guess, the new slider may be for changing the pattern and quantity of the different mip-maps like some of us currently do my editing the .cfg file lines.TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.5TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.0TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12662.jpgKurt M

Guest JonP01

I think it might actually change the level of "speckles", to use the term in the definition provided in the first reply. If you look at Tom Allensworth's earlier screenshots, one can clearly see that quite a few texture tiles are pixelated. This was most probably as a result of the new mip-mapping slider not being set "hard right". However the screenshots also made it clear that mip-mapping was still activated - just to a lessor degree. So I don't think this new slider will adjust the terrain parameters previously mentioned, as adjusting them manually in the .cfg file does not produce the same type of effect that we have seen in some FS2004 shots.That said, less "speckles" might reduce blurries because the mip-mapping capabilities are reduced. Personally, however, I would rather trade the graininess caused by lower levels of mip-mapping for the smoother appearance of fully mip-mapped textures, even if that means more blurries.