Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marvel

Can a Piper Archer II do a vertical loop?

Guest Marvel

Hello I've seen on a website of a real ArcherII doing vertical loop, so I went try on the Dreamfleet ArcherII but I can not do it even how hard I try. From 2,000 feet I started with a full throttle shallow dive to reach 140 KIAS (at 150+ airframe start to break as I know) follow by a sharp pull up, till I reach vertical pitch then the stall horn sounded and nose dropping to the ground..... Can't go over the top and complete vertical loop or I did something wrong.

Try cranking the trim all the way back.

Guest Marvel

I'll try the suggested trick, and BTW I've already make sure I'm the only one in that plane. (edited via config O metic)

I think anything can be looped, rolled, or spun... How about Tex Johnson who rolled the 707....

Guest DreamFleet

I would like to see the web site showing this. ;-)The real Piper Archer II is NOT certified for aerobatics, and this includes inverted flight and even spins. That is correct, spins are strictly prohibited in the real thing. Perhaps you can spin the real thing, but you'll also likely get your license pulled afterwards, that's if you even survive the ordeal. ;-)One of our friends, Peter McLeland "souped up" his copy of our DF Archer II, and he does aerobatics with it. Of course, he made numerous modifications, including installing a 270hp engine! He's posted numerous screen shots of his Archer aerobatics over at our forum, and I'm sure he would share his modifications with you if asked.In the end, it's pure fantasy, nothing more, but as Peter is a real ex-RAF pilot, and ex-BA captain, he can do whatever he pleases! :-)Contrary to what some may believe, most models of GA aircraft are not certified or approved for aerobatics, and this includes spins.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...RUM_LOUF_A2.jpg

Marvel,I believe the key to completing the loop in the Archer is a gentle-but-continuous pull entering the loop. An abrupt pull will lead to a stall, even at your elevated airspeed. Try to fly the airplane through the loop rather than launching it vertical. I own a 1946 Cessna 120, which is the forerunner of the 150 - and all subsequent Cessna single engine models. The 120 is a general aviation 2-place airplane sporting an 85 horsepower Continental engine. The 120 is approved for spins, chandelles, and lazy eights. I have spun mine, but I have a friend who regularly loops his (even at an airframe age of 57 years). A loop is a 4 'G' manuever and the 120 is rated at 4.57 'Gs' with a design load factor of 150% - giving it a max 'G' potential of 6.86. I'm not recommending anyone perform unapproved manuevers, but almost any aircraft can be (as a previous post said) safely looped, spun, and rolled - the 150 does all three very nicely.Regards,LeonBTW Lou, I saw the clip on DWings just a day or two ago showing the 707 doing a series of rolls at maybe 1,000 feet or so - insane!

>I think anything can be looped, rolled, or spun... How about>Tex Johnson who rolled the 707....Spinning is more tricky. Usually......... when a new design is spin tested, they attach a deployable drag chute to it's tail section. The reason, is that the aircraft might have a tendency to flat spin, and the chute will get it's nose down for recovery.In reality, some aircraft can't be coaxed into a spin. They'll just mush & loose altitude. Others will have a tendency to drop a wing easily, and with others you have to work at it.And if I remember correctly, the SR22 manuel states, that the "chute" must be deployed, should you enter a spin. It's fairly spin resistant because the outboard sections of the wing stall at rather high angles of attack, but the plane doesn't respond to spin recovery well. L.Adamson

Guest Marvel

tried crank the trim up and yes I succeeded in doing loop. I guess because at first I puched the trim a bit too low and forgot to reset it for the airobatic flight. Really enjoy the DF Archer.