Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

Microsoft, I don't think the avid flight simmer cares about the "History of flight"

Guest SoarPics

Well, 3Green, you obviously have alot to learn about flying.Your knowledge of what is involved in flying a glider is sorely lacking. Obviously, you've never been in the middle of the Nevada desert in a sailplane, low on altitude and long on miles from the nearest sign of life. With only your training and determination to get yourself out of there. Or, try going to FL320 in the Sierra Wave, cold beyond imagination and sucking on an oxygen system that is your most important link to life.I have never flown any of the heavy iron in MSFS... dating back to FS98. Doesn't interest me. But I don't judge those who do like the heavy stuff... or any other form of aircraft for that matter. To say that the aircraft YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN are useless in this sim is rather shortsighted.Personally, I can't wait for July to arrive. Then we can get out of the current trolling mode, and get right to the complaining mode. :-)Cheers all,

Greg, first off, thanks for adding you words of wisdom to this thread. Everyone is free to speak their mind, but please, lets not bash each others abilities, experiences etc... It's a not what this thread is about... Its about FS2004..>Your knowledge of what is involved in flying a glider is sorely lacking :-lol (Greg if you only knew how incorrect you statement really is)

Guest SoarPics

No need to re-read my comments. I find these threads rather entertaining in a simple sort of way. Totally non-productive. My point is this... you seem ready to mock those who aren't interested in the heavy iron. This sim is much more than that, and in fact can be what each of us makes it based upon the huge amount of add-ons available in this hobby. To riducule the older aircraft, or the gliders, or any other aircraft you don't prefer serves no real purpose.I'll take my leave now... got more important matters to tend to... like counting the hairs on the squirrel frolicking around my back yard.:-beerchug

I like a lot of different things about MSFS in general, but the most annoying thing is the stuttering, slideshow caused by the effects, scenery, clouds, textures or utilities (whether created by Microsoft or third party). These are the things we want to enjoy most, but can't because of the limited display engine (non-optimized code?).All of the screen shots and new goodies for FS2004 sound very tempting, but if the new sim is not a lot smoother than this one, it won't be in my library. I know $50 bucks wouldn't break most of us, but I already have a pretty good slideshow running on a pretty decent machine. Will be waiting to read lots and lots of initial user reviews before I rush out to buy the new edition.Cheers all...,Bob

Guest Fly1

Me, I find it funny. I compare FS to music. What type of music appeals to you? Who loves the classics, rock, country, jazz, or even opera. Each has his personal preference, and feels very strongly about it.I tend to go for the obscure, possibly less accepted style of music, and funny enough, I also go for experimental aircraft, which again is somewhat on the fringe of mass appeal. FS provides at least the platform to meet all interest. Through the independent developers we have addons to meet all taste. And if your particular flavor has not been represented, well, try your hand at developing a project of your own. What a cool canvas!All being said, I am looking forward to the new FS as a new platform to base future projects on.Cheers to all!!Bob C.

> I know $50 bucks wouldn't>break most of us, but I already have a pretty good slideshow>running on a pretty decent machine. >And what's a pretty decent machine? My Athlon 1900XP/Geforce3Ti500 is about 1 1/2 years old, and is now a middle class machine. FS2002 runs much better than a slide show & compared to FS2K is "stutterless" except in extreme cases, which I'd tend to call low fps rather than stutters.L.Adamson

Guest B1900 Mech

I don't even care about the default a/c, as the outstanding free and payware designers will step up to the plate! I just hope that the irritating issue of a/c not turning off their strobes when vacating the runway is corrected!

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Frenchy -- here.Don't post often, don't post much. I am an old Geezer. Dont' like to fly them jets. Been in too many of them. Don't want a Multi-Ton cigar turning jet fuel into a Multi-Ton Dog whistle.Maybe, I am a little deaf. But it is from the roar of B-25 or something from the likes of that. Yeah, I'll fly the low and slow and explore the the wonderful sceneries that may be there. Like flying the MAAM B-25. Like hearing the click of the old radio knobs. Yeah, maybe --- just like flying. Well, the world looks pretty good from down here. Got some great clouds. Time to turn in. old Geezers don't stay up late -- any more. Frenchy -- out.

"My point is this... you seem ready to mock those who aren'tinterested in the heavy iron. This sim is much more thanthat, and in fact can be what each of us makes it based uponthe huge amount of add-ons available in this hobby. Toriducule the older aircraft, or the gliders, or any otheraircraft you don't prefer serves no real purpose."Exactly, well said Greg!May or may not be meant that way, but that is exactly how it is coming across!Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi,You have to remember Microsoft does not just make this simulation for the die hard fans of AVSIM or any other flight sim site. They are trying to make a "game" that will attract everybody's attention. If it was just the simmers that frequent these sites that bought MSFS they would probably not produce the game due to lack of profits.Microsoft makes this simulation for profits, and are trying to get people that have not tryed a sim to try it. If you throw in all the advanced avionics and such the new people picking up the box would not buy it.Thats why we have private parties to make the more advanced aircraft.Sean

>I bet only .01% of flight simmers fly the glider on a regular>basis..This is most probably true -- but maybe it is because most simmers don't know HOW to fly a glider and therefore don't!I have always said that the Sim is too easy. Learn how to fly a Cessna 172 and then you can hop into the B737 and fly it. Yeah sure!!But your experience in the 172 will not allow you to fly the glider --woops, this is a bit too hard for me , better go back to pretending I'm a B737 pilot.Barry

Guest JonP01

Just checking in as one of those "0.01%" of regular glider fliers. I go soaring in the default Schweizer several times per week.As for my aircraft preferences, all versions of FS prior to FS2004 have for me been quite boring because my principal interest is only historical aircraft. There haven't really been any default aircraft in existing versions of the sim that could captivate my attention for very long. That is why I am so loooking forward to FS2004. I don't think I would be happier if I had picked the planes myself for MS to model in FS2004. Granted, I won't be flying the Wright Flyer much, but that is the only historic aircraft I won't fly regularly. Nevertheless, i will fly it just to see what the experience is like. Presumably I will be able to get it off the ground...Not trying to take anything away from your choice of topic for this thread, but had you taken a snapshot of the Avsim forum postings - even over the last few weeks - you would already have seen there is considerable interest in the historics.