Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

Microsoft, I don't think the avid flight simmer cares about the "History of flight"

>I'm enjoying looking at at all the new screen shots of>FS2004, but frankly, airport taxi signs appeal more to me then>a glider...>>>>MSFS is an all-round sim for all tastes>>All tastes? of the 1930's? How about some 1990's?>Mooney?777?747-400?JetRanger (OK, it's an older design but still in production)?

>Again, I'm not bashing Microsoft, because FS2002 is just an>outstanding simulator....>>I'm disappointed I guess, that Microsoft's FS2004 aircraft are>a step backwards....>>>huh?From seeing a few screenshots (where they look magnificent...) you decide that the aircraft will be a step backwards?Backwards from what?

That's because people flying the older and slower aircraft spend more time flying and less time looking at their aircraft flying itself...They don't have the time to make screenshots :-lol

Or the Air Transat A330 into Tenerife when it ran out of fuel due to a badly connected fuelline?

"MSFS: A Century Of Flight......close to a century ago"LOLIn all seriousness though, I have to admit that some of the older aircraft appeal to me quite a bit. I can't emphasize HOW TIRED I am of the same old, "777/767/757 American Airlines pics...come LOOK! WOW!" posts in the screenshot forum. BORING is the term that comes to mind when I look in the Avsim Screenshots forum. Everybody can post whatever they want and everybody is entitled ot thier own likes/dislikes but maybe these older aircraft will inspire some new screenshots, design groups, and simmers.I would have really been disappointed if MS added in a bunch of Boeing/Airbus aircraft. Why? Because there is already a TON of freeware stuff out there and I don't see any purpose in "rehashing" what has already been done.Just my opinion :)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

My two thoughts are on the a/c and the FMC. As far as the a/c goes I think MS has done a great job on covering a little bit for most users. They now offer a fleet of default a/c from basically a kite to the most modern of a/c with not to much of one kind. Next version might look at something else but for all those who have made flying a reality this is a great tribute. So if your looking for more modern then just go to outside developers. Besides if MS did release an Airbus or Boeing it would just get trashed for not having all the systems and those looking for those kinds of planes would end up installing 3rd party anyway.As for the FMC well MS has given us a new realistic GPS for the next version. One that will take some reading to learn how to use. This is by far a giant leap forward when you look at this is for the real aviation enthusiast. Theres no way that someone just looking for a game (i.e. general public) would be able to use this with just looking at the knobs and buttons like the old gps. This gives light that MS does care about the more hard core user. If the letters FMC start appearing in more and more forums and emails to MS then there is a good chance that the next version might have one. A GPS can be installed in almost any plane unlike a FMC on a realistic aspect. So having a GPS that works like in real life is more versitile then developing a FMC. I do hope to see more big irons in future releases with more systems and all the bells and whistles but lets not forget that in order to get there, there have been many historical plane, pilots and events that got us where we are today. Who knows maybe the next version will have the space shuttle on it!Kilstorm

Guest Tom EverittAFG

I personally think MS have got it dead on with the aircraft are including in FS2004. Why should they divert time and energy away from improving the FS environment to create a 747 when the free/payware developers will roll out a far superior version a few months down the line. Also, just take a look at the default MS 737 and 747, hardly the most accurate of reproductions are they?In fact, I'd probably be quite happy if MS released the sim with only the C172 because I know if I want to fly a 747 or a 777 I can go to POSKY or Mel Jet and find one. Likewise if I want to fly a turboprop with all the bells and wistles, I can fire up our YS-11.In short, I know I can depend on the addon developers to cater for my aircraft needs, so i'm more than happy to see MS continue to ignore the modern airliners and improve the weather, ATC and include those rare and unusal aircraft you might only fly once or twice, but that break the monotony of all those 'tubes with wings'TomAFG.

As real as it gets...But flying a 1903 aircraft requires a 1903 environnment...Seems to me rather unrealistic to fly on The Flyer with AI 777 and AI744 heading for Incheon, Chep Lap Kok and Liberty Intl.... Seems also unrealistic to use Nuclear powerplants, TV tower and so on for 1903 VFR waypoints....History also means developping INS, LORAN and OMEGA which were/are used since ages in aviation. What about a good INS for all those trijets... That is saddly history too...Of course there are some shareware... but FS04 is already 55$. I don't need to spend more $$. And if MS were to developp an INS or a good FMS it would take maybe one week. The cost would maybe be $56 instead of $55.When PSS or any other do such gauges it costs $15 each... Minos

>As real as it gets...>But flying a 1903 aircraft requires a 1903 environnment...>Seems to me rather unrealistic to fly on The Flyer with AI 777>and AI744 heading for Incheon, Chep Lap Kok and Liberty>Intl.... Seems also unrealistic to use Nuclear powerplants, TV>tower and so on for 1903 VFR waypoints....Perhaps you've noticed that at least three re-creations of early Wright Flyers are being test-flown this year to mark the occasion. So you won't have to have a strict 1903 enviroment afterall! Besides, the orignal was so stuck in ground effect, that you won't have to worry about VFR waypoints! :)L.Adamson

In my opinion, MSFS can only simulate general aviation, and vintage aircraft with almost absolute functionality. Unless you have tens of thousands of dollars to spend on switchs, panels, yokes, pedals, throttles etc, you can't really simulate a big modern jetliner. Sure, theres a lot of really awesome stuff out there like PSS A320 and PIC 767, but then theres even more awesome general aviation stuff. If MSFS really wanted to improve their flight simulator, and make it as useful as possible, I think they should work on making the most realistic enviroment as possible. That would be like, seeing single blades of grass, gravel, leaves on trees, pine trees, ground animals, birds, fish, whale/dolphins, smog, volcanic ash, tides going in and out, rocks in water blah blahPaul Meyer - Morris, C09status.php?id=810173&indicator=OD1&a=a.jhttp://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...7b45404593a.jpg

Guest cw1011

Um, let's not forget the Century of Flight tie-in, with it's millions of dollars of free publicity and awarenes. This is a shrewd move.What I would like to see is some historic landscape from the 1930's - old airfields, the spotlight airways, the large lighted numbers on mountaintops - now that would be very, very cool.

Guest cw1011

I'd love to know how many people bought the MAAM B-25 package - since it doesn't have an FMS, much of an autopilot and only one VOR. I'm guessing its quite a few.

Guest tascaso

Your point is moot...the product offers something for everybody. YES, there are people (myself included) that enjoy the vintage aircraft and gliders right along with the Buses and Boeing's! What I love about the product is that the core is all we need and then the Freeware and Payware folks come up with the miracles! Its wonderful! So yes something for everyone makes this product a long standing winner with legs!Tony

Hi,I actually agree with you - the majority of FS flyers do prefer the new stuff (modern GA or the jets). I would estimate that the ratio is something like:Vintage GA: 10%Vintage Airliners: 10%Military: 15%Modern GA: 25%Modern Airliners: 40%However, keep in mind that from FS5 to FS2002 MS has added ONLY modern aircraft - our vintage minority has gotten nothing. So I look upon this as MS just playing catch up - all at once! :)That said, there is a nice group of people who are interested in vintage flying - my small part of that group (propliners from the DC-4/L-049 to the DC-7C/L-1649A) give me an average of almost 800 visits per day to my site - that's quite a few!!I'm sure that the next version will concentrate on something else, so there may be more for you next time. In the meantime, I'm just glad that MS chose to honor the History of Flight this time, and provided some great aircraft to fly.Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

I have plenty of addons that date back to the 30's and 40's. I also have aircraft that date back to the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's. I will ride the fence on this one and enjoy all aspects of avid flight simming.... I can fly a real Piper and Cessna anytime, but how often does one get to command a vintage aircraft. Some of us can only dream....