Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

Microsoft, I don't think the avid flight simmer cares about the "History of flight"

Guest Ian Ritchie

:-roll I didn't say i fly gliders all the time. I fly them on a regular basis. Your sarcasm is noted.

Thanks Larry... I think your comments are true for most Flight simmers...

Ian, sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't think the majority of avid flight simmers fly gliders. Sorry if I offend you, that's not the point of this thread...I just would like to know how many people care for the old 1908 models... Thats all..

hi, Personally Im not looking forward to most of the new aircraft. I say just give me the new "basic sim" with the new weather engine and updated ATC engine as well as the taxi signs at all airports and Ill be really happy until fs2006. As soon as I get my hands on Fs2004 Ill be installing all my aircraft and flying the Dreamfleet 737 from KLAX to KLAS with the dynamic weather, PAI, and the new ATC :D I get chills just thinking about it... The only default aircraft Ill be using in fs2004 will be the Piper cub for my Alaskanbush flights :D , the Erickson heli, and possibly the Dc 3. AndrewEdit: Seems I forgot to proof read ;-) Ill be sure to do it next time :-)

"...but how many 80 year old's use computers and fly Flight simulators... Very few...."Afraid you're wrong there. Before I settled into running a WAN, I was a systems instructor for the hospitality industry. Do you know how many hotel owners seem to be in their 60's and 70's? Spending several weeks with my clients, many became long term friends, and invited me into their homes. At least half of them had PC's.BTW, my father didn't reach 80...barely made it past 70. But while he was alive, he used is computer every day, and was an avid gamer. It was the one distraction from the cancer that made him suffer every day. You needn't be 80 to have taken your first flight on a DC-3 you know, or enjoy the classics.... Believe me, I'm not even close. I'd say there's tens of thousands of active seniors, and systems savvy ones at that, who will love this release.I should add, having seen your thoughts on the Wright Flyer, that that's an aircraft that doesn't tickle me so much. But the Trimotor? That gets my motors running! Hope my wife doesn't see this :)

>with the new weather engine and updated ATC engine as well as the taxi signs at all airports and Ill be really happy until FS2006Ditto... I think Microsoft's Sim is outstanding and only gets better ever year... (minus the aircraft)...

Guest SlimDady

I dont really care for the older ones..like really the flyer is only a gimic.. its not like you can do much with it other then taking it for a sping..I look forward to more modern planes.. I could care less about the old ones.

Guest outtatimeiii

FS2004 got my attention with the older planes. I actually do not like "big iron." To me, fun is flying around Northwest Indiana with a 1930's Fleet 2 or Cub, down low going where-ever my heart takes me. I am really looking forward to the old FS2002 planes because thats the kind I like the most, old classics. First plane I am going to fly in FS2004 will be the DeHavilland D.H.88 Comet, because its the most beautiful planes in the game :).

JohnCi, you're most likely right, I could be wrong and out to lunch and hope I didn't offend you... I think I'm speaking on the vast majority here, but see I may not be... Thanks for sharing you story with us all..... I'm sorry for your loss, as I lost my dad two years ago... I give your dad credit... He wasn't afraid to use the computer, where my dad was.... He never could understand why I loved Flight simming so much... He thought it was a game, but to me, it was more then a game, it helped me maintain my flying skills....

Zack... Cool.. Thanks for the reply.... I know I'll be flying the cub as well, after all, true flying in the real world is not IFR as we all know, but VFR..... I just don't think I'll be flying or reliving the first flight as the Wright brothers, in FS2004...

I'm with you SlimDaddy.... But from reading most of the replies, It looks like a lot of people are attracted to the really old aircraft...Their is no right or wrong answer here, but I'm very interested to find out what most simmers really enjoy.... My self, modern aircraft...

All points noted and I have to agree with all of them Douglas.Don't get me wrong here, I'm not just an FMC flyer... I just wished FS2004 offered more of everything... Maybe it's time that aircraft in Microsoft Flight simulator had FMC's included... Instead, they went back to the basics (no instruments)....Iron knuckles DC-9 is my aircraft by choice.... I just wished FS2004 had more modern aircraft to offer this time around...

To those that have commented that they'd rather have seen Microsoft focussing on other more generic aspects of the sim, I have to say that I agree with you.As I said in my original post, the historical element doesn't hold much appeal for me personally.The only other comment I'd make, and this has only really sunk in just now, is that I REALLY do like FS2002. The thought of lack of backwards compatibility oroginally sent shivers down my spine although from what I've read, it's not going to be much of a headache at all with the release of FS2004.The improvements that have been publicised as far as the sim as a whole goes are all good in my book. For the first time in many editions of FS, I think Microsoft pretty much hit the bullseye with FS2002. Anything that fine tunes that and improves on (let's not forget it was a first attempt) the idiosyncrasies of ATC is ony going to further enhance what I personally perceive to be a really great simulation experience.

I'm not offended at all. I never realized the significance of the classic aircraft in FS until your thread got me to thinking about it.If we had an absence of heavy iron in our freeware and payware community, I would have preferred more of it in FS2004. And a few more bizjets as well. I am pleased to see the shots of the Mooney--it looks like it's been reworked with a virtual cabin.BTW, since you are a big jet fan, have you been following the progress at CSI? If not, check out this link:www.avsim.com/csi-John

Very well spoken FSqanda.I to look forward very much toward FS2004 and again thank Microsoft for FS2002 which has been just an excellent advancement with ATC and graphics...As for FS2004... Cheers... I can't wait.... but gliders....LOL...NOT