Sign in to follow this  

What should I upgrade my computer with for COF?

Guest Spilot

I have a Asus P4c800 motherboard.FSB 300MHz dual DDR 400. I have 3 gig. 1020or so Ram. I have a Geforce 4 MX 440 8X AGP 64 MB mem. V9180. Graphics card says 64 MB DDR. I do not know a whole lot about computers, and what should I do to make COF run smoothly with clouds and high detail. I get 25 to 27 with sliders on max at chicago in baron. In captain sim's 727 I get around 27 inside, 20 VC, and 17-20 with everything maxed.Spilot692000@yahoo.comAdam

Guest ront1

If I am reading your post correct, I think the only thing that I would bother to upgrade would be your video card. It is pretty out dated! Get a newer ATI Radeon 9500PRO - 9800PRO or one of the newer GeForce 5600 or 5800 cards. That is what I would do.Ron

Yep - I would agree with the other post as well that your video card is probably your only bottleneck. Otherwise, I think you are already at the top of the computer food chain. On another note though, MSFS has typically been more CPU dependent rather than video card dependent, so you might even be just fine with the card you have. I'll have to add that I am an Nvidia to ATI Radeon convert and the image quality with the 9700 pro 128 is astounding compared to my previous GeForce. The 9800 Pro 256 mb will be a real screamer I'm sure if you have $500 buckaroos laying around under the sofa cushions.

Guest Spilot

Thank you very much guys. Is this difference really this much, I really don't notice a great difference in screenshots but maybe its my computer. What fps do you guys get? I don't know I just saw a comparison on forum that showed FS2002 and 2004 same thing one with clouds and one without for both versions. 2002 got 13 with no clouds, 6 with clouds. 2004 had 14.9 without and 14.9 fps with clouds not difference. They said this new cloud engine is amazing. I just wonder how it will work with my system. I probably just wait until it comes out or purchase the 9700 to see the difference. AdamSpilot692000@yahoo.com

Guest SlimDady

video card..go spend 500$ on a new one.. Top of the line, radeon 9800, or a geforce fx 5900