Sign in to follow this  

Not much talk about the new "clickable" VCs

I have never been too excited about the FS2002 VCs. The ones for the default Cessnas are the only ones that look much good to me - and you can't do much with them except look at them.So, I am more than a litle surprised that there seems to be no excitement about this new concept of "clickable" VCs. It seems to me that this is a real advance for the Sim and will be one of the things that will stop the sale of payware for a while (as they , at this stage , do not have this feature)and I dare say will be difficult to update.Barry

I'm with you, even Microsoft doesn't seem to be promoting the new VC feature either. I'm sick and tired of seeing them promote planes that I'll most likely never fly anyway. The Sopwith has been around for years and who out there really messes with that thing. I took it off my system. Microsoft should give us more info on VC's as well as the updated modern aircraft. From the press kit the 747 2D panel seems to be the old FS2002 version, they don't show the new clickable VC. I'm starting to think we may get let down in this department. I surely hope not but the hype that should be surrounding something this significant is non-existent....

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Pabra

I assumed this new feature would affect all gauges in every dvc?Paul

I love the VC and have the ACP Compact as well as a yoke and joystick so I never have to use the 2D panel since I have enough buttons to assign the commands to. The only time I flip to the 2D panel is to check if the Fuel pump on the 172 is on or if I turned it off. Hopefully the new clickable VC will have the switches working and allow to tell if something is on or off as well as the fuel shut off valve.My thoughts.Kilstorm

Guest SlimDady

yea the ability to control it all from the VC is great..I know I prefer flying in the VC on my CS 727.. Now if I coul just stay in that view to operate everything.. it would be so awsome

BarryI believe the just released EagleSoft BeechJet 400A which has been released for FS2002 has been tried and tested in FS2004 and works very well with a clickable VC ;-)Peter

Hi.There is away that you can control all the functions in VC mode. You can use a utility called

Guest oyvindhansen

Will the VC automatically be clickable when transferred to fs2004, or will the developers have to do some additional work?- Oyvind

"Will the VC automatically be clickable when transferred to fs2004, or will the developers have to do some additional work?"It's really the answer to that question that I'm waiting for before I start getting excited. I'm planning a third update to my Microlight for a V/C (that should excite the 3-4 fans of my project :) ), but I'm waiting on the release of FS2004 before I move forward, as I don't want to miss any tricks I'm supposed to apply.With clickable 3-d cockpits, I think 2-d cockpits may be all but finished... Only reason I favor the 2-d cockpits at the moment is access to clickable controls. The thought of flying the Flight 1 421 or DF Cardinal entirely from V/C....oh boy....!

I think it's safe to assume that it's going to take a bit of work on the part of the developer to make their VCs clickable. I've heard talk that the gauges in the new VCs will actually be 3D models and not 2D projections as they are now. That alone means a big switch in the way we create aircraft. If memory serves, that's how the VCs in CFS3 work as well. I'm looking forward to this new feature, though -- especially if they can achieve the smooth gauge updating that CFS3 has and find a way to support vector gauges crisply and legibly as well.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

You guys might want to check out this site to see what the guys at Redmond have done with the new default VC's. Look for the heading which reads: MS Flight Simuator 2004 (Exclusief!) http://www.fsmagazine.nl/nl/modules.php?name=galleryFrom what I can tell they did the same thing here that happened with the release of FS2002. We had the exact same Learjet and Mooney from FS2000. In FS2004 we have the same 777 and 737 as before. The VC's are no different and the bitmaps inside the VC's look very bad (well the same as they do now). Only a few switches seems to functional on the overhead panel. The new Learjet looks great!!! I don't know why we still have those FS2002 generic 2D cockpits. The Learjet's 2D panel looks exactly the same. This is definitely an updated FS2002 sim. I'm sure freeware developers will exploit the new VC capability but I wouldn't expect allot right out of the box.

FS2020 

> This is definitely an updated FS2002>sim. Of course it is....I'd rather have an update of FS2002 than a complete new sim such as CFS3!!! An update of CFS2 would have been a much better improvement. I won't even use CFS3 anymore..But a new weather system, clickable VC's, improved graphics, "a better Lear", and greatly improved ATC isn't just a simple update.And BTW ---- I never use those old & "ugly" 2D cockpits, but do find myself in the Cessna VC's when I'm going for ultra-high frame rates! I do pull the eye-point in the Cessna VC's back though. Then they actually look half decent.L.Adamson

>>And BTW ---- I never use those old & "ugly" 2D cockpits, but>do find myself in the Cessna VC's when I'm going for>ultra-high frame rates! I do pull the eye-point in the Cessna>VC's back though. Then they actually look half decent.Is there some way that, when you "pull" the eye-point back, that it can be made to stay there. I note that resetting the eyepoint view resets the pull-back part as well. I want to be able to scan around the cockpit and then reset the eyepoint without losing the pull-back part.Thanks barry

You have to go into panel.cfg to do that, it's too late for me to go into it tonight though. And also, I do agree with the earlier post that having an updated FS2002 engine is better than a whole new buggy build of the simulation, besides I now know I don't have to update my system untile I'm well ready. We should be able to get decent FS2002 graphics without a huge hit on framerates. Can't wait for FS2k4!!!

FS2020 

BazzaI feel Larry pulling back is identifying a problem we have with flight sims and using this method is a double edged sword.Pulling back is akin to sitting in the back seats of a four seater and flying the aircraft from there.Why does Larry pull back? Because there are no peripheral views given with our flat screen monitors.Get into a real aircraft.put on a hood which stops your natural peripheral views and try to fly the aircraft. it would be awful!Yet that is what we have in our sims.Try it! sit in a chair and look forward with your eyes fixed on a spot ahead. Bring your hands up to the sides of your head and they will come into view in the side of your vision some 70 degrees either side of your forward line view.Keeping your head still move your eyes to look towards your hand and that increases to 90 degrees.What Larry is doing is trying to remove this looking through a loo roll effect of the sim by moving the whole thing back but that isnt the answer.Peter