Sign in to follow this  

Weather Center 2.0

I was wondering if anyone has d/l weather center 2.0 and tried it yet. Thanks, Hawk

You decide:1. NO uninstall option(s).2. NO link to e-mail the friggin' author.3. NO link to support, just a bunch of fake "FAQs."4. 15-Minute "novice" limit insulting.5. A curiously timed "release" perhaps to "cash-in" before 2004 COF makes it more garage than it already is.6. At $24.95 it's overpriced. I guess the author knows he won't sell many and better make hay while the sun shines.Can you *believe* it? No support, no contact? And he wants us to send him $24 for a program that could be trashed when COF debuts?I tried it--that's how stupid I am. All of that just to "smooth" the transitions between METARs and have a CPU-hungry radar display?I am not anti-anything except what looks and smells to me like greed and sucker-bait. Someone please tell me there's something I've missed here and that I am completely wrong before the hall monitors delete this thread too.

Guest anthonye

Have a look at their forum for info, as far as I'm concered it does what it say's, and I have bought others that do not. As far as support the author even reply's to your email after reading your post, i've had them within 1 hour.As far as the other reply to you, he is obviously bias to the others, and is slating Weather Center 2 without first finding out facts, or perhaps it's because it's not free.........Anthony......

>As far as the other reply to you, he is obviously bias to the>others, and is slating Weather Center 2 without first finding>out facts, or perhaps it's because it's not free.........>As that "other" reply, if the author wants to make him accessible only in the "forum" on his website, so be it. I did not check there and would rather a more personal (read e-mail) way to e-mail my comments.>bias to the others, and is slating Weather Center 2 without first >finding out factsYeah, right. I jump in here without checking out the software and bash it because it's not free. Oh ye of one single post, please give me a break, eh?Oh, and here's something else I "discovered" while researching the "facts:" There is no "delete" and when I deleted the folder, my whole FS2002 Pro died because there was garbage left in the "Modules" folder outside the WeatherCenter folder. I found it with a "date" sort of the directory, and deleted it manually to bring it back to life.And another thing: I always suspect a stranger posting his "first" post in praise of a public bash of payware. For all I know you could be the author defending it against truth from the "other" side.Read my lips: this program is overpriced garbage poised to hose the entire FS2k2 sim of unsuspecting newbies."Obviously Biased?" No, Trying to save your ####, Anthony my friend. Try an un-install and tell me how "uninformed" I am. I did not just fall off the Flight Simulator Turnip truck, lad. Take your seat and a few notes.Sheesh!

Guest racartron

Inserting at least one

Yes, my comments are always at least IMHO, and more often IMNSHO. Like you I have been around a while, (Remember the Timex "Sinclair" of circa 1973?) That's where if began for me. What I have to say is positive, on the side of those, IMHO, ready to take "Bait." In fact, if you'll check the first post, the fellow starting this thread is *asking* for input. Remember?No, of course a "first post" does not imply stupidity. I think I stated the circumstances of my critical citation. I am bold enough to have researched, and criticized the product of a potential AvSim advertiser. I have also gone to "his" forum and invited him here to answer my objections point-for-point.And look at you! You have nothing to say about the program in question, just criticism of me, and the commentary of one who took time and trouble to actually EVALUATE the thing and share my discoveries! Oh, the horrors.Fine. Noted Mr. Racartron whoever you are.If what you like is sweet-talk and patronizing commentary, here's a clue: don't read my posts, eh? Oh, and you too might consider taking a seat and learning something. Holding the chalk is Mike Apsey. Imagine that, a real identity right here on the internet in front of God and everybody.Because I tell it like I see it.Oh! I almost forgot! Lacking an "uninstall," when I decided to hit the "Modules" folder and delete this one, My Flight Simulator 2002 Pro would no longer launch. It error-ed out. So I did what any idiot would do, I sorted the Modules folder by date to see what had recently changed, and deleted the suspect .dll which had been cleverly added, unknown to me, in the "Modules" folder *OUTSIDE* the Weather one. Terrific, eh?Hate me if you like. But don't arm-wrestle me in public on the point of expressing my opinions.

Guest racartron

Like I said I only comment if I feel I can add something to the discussion. I have downloaded the product but have not installed it so don't know if I like it or not, ergo, no comment.The only reason I posted in the first place was a visceral reaction to your apparent degree of hostility toward the product, the author and the poster who had a different opinion. In the famous words of Forrest Gump "And that is all I've got to say about that."See ya in the clouds.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

You missed an edit.See you in the clouds.

Guest racartron

Nope. I meant to say

>But look at it this way. We're both getting our post count>ever closer to the magical

Hi Mike,I'm the author of Weather Center 2. I'd like to respond to your observations because I feel they are simply untrue. I will use facts that I can backup with my program and website, and if you need clarification on any of these, please dont hesitate to chime in.1. No uninstall options Answer: not true. you can uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs applet from the Windows control panel just like every other application.2. No link to email the friggin author. Answer: the link is in the customer support page of the manual that was installed with the software. it is also easily accessible from our customer support page at http://www.simulationwidgets.com3. No link to support just a bunch of fake FAQs. Answer: See #2. Which FAQ are you referring to? The only one that was created is on the website, and its right under the customer support link. Perhaps you misread something?4. 15-minute Novice is insulting? Answer: Not sure how to answer this. I've never been insulted by software before. Perhaps demo try-before-you-buy systems are not for you then. We believe that customers should see what they are getting in this day of buy and download software, and stick by that. We understand that software cannot meet the needs of everyone, but in no way do we intend for software to be 'insulting'.5. A curiously timed release perhaps to cash-in before 2004 COF makes it more garage (sp?) than it already is. The timing is exactly 5 months after we started it. It required a lot of hardwork and RnD, but the timing is legitimate, I assure you. As we stated in our "fake FAQ", MSFS 2004 will be support by BOTH Weather Center 1 and 2 if FSUIPC or Microsoft makes this possible (just like all the other weather add-ons competing with WC).6. At $24.95 its overpriced. I guess the author knows he wont sell many and better make hay while the sun shines. Answer: if you dont like the price, please dont buy it. We believe it is a great value. Incidently, not everyone switches to new versions of Flight Simulator the day a new one is released. I have customers that still use FS2000, even though FS2002 has been out for quite some time. I also have users that use Win98, even though WinXP has been out for a while. They are supported equally and the same, because all customers matter.7. (from your second post) There is no "delete" and when I deleted the folder, my whole FS2002 Pro died because there was garbage left in the "Modules" folder outside the WeatherCenter folder. Answer: See #1. Weather Center 2 installs NO FILES in the Modules folder except WeatherCenterDisplay.dll. It also creates a folder called WeatherCenter2 which holds graphics and a couple data files. If you choose not to use the obvious undelete mechanism in the Control Panel, then you can simply remove Weather Center 2 by deleting the DLL and the folder. No other files are left behind!Mike, Weather Center 1 and 2 are for those who want a great weather environment and dont mind paying for good software. If you dont like the software after you've tried the free Novice edition, then please dont buy it. If you have a problem with a particular feature, then state your concerns. I'm available by email or forum (I actively monitor the SimFlight WC2 Forum daily). My turnaround time averages about 2-3 hours, but usually I can respond to any concerns right away.Thanks!Keith KileSimulation Widgeskeith.kile@verizon.net

Keith,I have to say that I've downloaded the novice edition but was reluctant to install it after reading the initial post.However, I certainly will now.Apart from the technical content of your reply, I'm personally impressed with the way you couched it. Very impressive and good luck with the product (which I've yet to try of course LOL).

>I'm the author of Weather Center 2. I'd like to respond to>your observations because I feel they are simply untrue. I>will use facts that I can backup with my program and website,>and if you need clarification on any of these, please dont (sp)>hesitate to chime in.>Thank you. I hoped you'd do this. >1. No uninstall options> Answer: not true. you can uninstall from the Add/Remove>Programs applet from the Windows control panel just like every>other application.>Correct. I searched for your entry and did not see it. My list is heavily populated and it is indeed present. I am wrong, and I apologize to you the the readers.>2. No link to email the friggin author.> Answer: the link is in the customer support page of the>manual that was installed with the software. it is also>easily accessible from our customer support page at>http://www.simulationwidgets.com>You are again correct, your e-mail address is indeed included as you say although considerably harder to find than most. Both "Simulation Widgets Customer Support" and "Simulations Widgets Web Support" sends mail to you, personally. Why not step out from behind the "Wizard Curtain" and show yourself to the Tinman?" Nonetheless, your personal presence is there--although I feel it's cloaked from the little people. I apologize for not investigating the links to see who was at the "mailto" end of the big company. >3. No link to support just a bunch of fake FAQs.> Answer: See #2. Which FAQ are you referring to? The only>one that was created is on the website, and its right under>the customer support link. Perhaps you misread something?>Your FAQs seemed more like Madison Avenue promotional material than real questions. I read them. Those were not what I'd consider to be genuine and "frequently asked," although helpful for some, I'm sure. I think you made them up. If so, fine. Perhaps the "FAQ" term has somehow morphed into yet another way to "explain" what your product is and does. >4. 15-minute Novice is insulting?> Answer: Not sure how to answer this. I think you already have.>I've never been>insulted by software before. Perhaps demo try-before-you-buy>systems are not for you then. We believe that customers>should see what they are getting in this day of buy and>download software, and stick by that. We understand that>software cannot meet the needs of everyone, but in no way do>we intend for software to be 'insulting'.>It takes more than 15 minutes to fly across weather boundaries even at the speed of a Lear 45 and yet that's your real claim to fame. 15 minutes is too short. Heck, look at other software makers who just "nag." I think the 15-minute window was a bad call. >5. A curiously timed release perhaps to cash-in before 2004>COF makes it more garage (sp?) than it already is.> The timing is exactly 5 months after we started it. It>required a lot of hard-work and RnD, but the timing is>legitimate, I assure you. As we stated in our "fake FAQ",>MSFS 2004 will be support by BOTH Weather Center 1 and 2 if>FSUIPC or Microsoft makes this possible (just like all the>other weather add-ons competing with WC).>I salute your hard work, RnD and beta testers. There does seem a "rush" to release these FS2K2 WX things even you must admit. I read your statement about upgrading "if it was possible." I read your comment about how MS holds new release cards "close to their vest." I stand unapologetically behind my comment. >6. At $24.95 its overpriced. I guess the author knows he wont>sell many and better make hay while the sun shines.> Answer: if you dont like the price, please dont buy it.No worries, my friend. >We believe it is a great value. Incidently, not everyone>switches to new versions of Flight Simulator the day a new one>is released. No, and I have publicly questioned before an author's desire to gobble-up more than half the cost of the simulator itself on a wee add-on. It's too expensive. Period.I have customers that still use FS2000, even>though FS2002 has been out for quite some time. I also have>users that use Win98, even though WinXP has been out for a>while. They are supported equally and the same, because all>customers matter.>Did that come out of a committee justifying the price? I don't see someone unable to upgrade to FS2002 paying half the price for your little wx add-on. Be serious.>Mike, Weather Center 1 and 2 are for those who want a great>weather environment and dont mind paying for good software.I tried it. I checked the currend NOAA satellite for the USA and took off from an airport in the "thick of things." I was not $24 impressed, and my clock ran out several times while trying to "fly into" your alleged radar paints. >If you dont like the software after you've tried the free>Novice edition, then please dont buy it. I hear an echo?If you have a>problem with a particular feature, then state your concerns. >I'm available by email or forum (I actively monitor the>SimFlight WC2 Forum daily). My turnaround time averages about>2-3 hours, but usually I can respond to any concerns right>away.>So far, 2141 people have downloaded your little Novice program from Avsim. If 1% buys @ ~US$25 you make $535. If 2% buy @ ~US$15 you make $642.3 or an extra $100 bucks.Your call. Be the Neiman Marcus. This software is worth $14.95 tops and that's my final offer.>Thanks!>Pleasure.

Guest bigun

Glad you replied Keith. I think it is extremely comical that individuals will get on these forums and spout off about something they so obviously don't have a clue about. Keith has a very good forum set up and seems to respond to questions/concerns very quickly.I have never had to use the forum because frankly, I've never had any problem with the program:)If some of these posters are very young,, I understand. If they are adults,, I'm very sad.George

And some have more money than brains.Sad too.