Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rob

COF and DX9?

I'll be shopping for a video card soon. Has MS announced if COF will utilize DirectX 9? I'm inclined toward a GeF4 TI4200, but if COF is DX9 enabled, I might consider one of the new DX9 cards.Thanks

Guest PaulL01

>I'll be shopping for a video card soon. Has MS announced if>COF will utilize DirectX 9? Though DX9 will be required, FS2k4 will still be rendered as a DX7/8 game and will not take advantage of any DX9 d3d-api instruction, however that may not be true of multiplayer or sound.As the official website says a DX7 3D video card will be required.That being said you will be wise to shop carefully for what you want, read as many product reviews as you can based on real game performance, keeping in mind the more powerfull a card you have will enable you to use better Antialising and Aniso without killing your FPS as compared to the weaker cards such as Radeon8000/8500/9000 and GF3-GF4TI cards.Try sticking to a minimum of an ATI9500pro on up to 9800P or in the Nvidia camp you can start at a GFFX5600ultra but only at a very low price (like <$150,) as performance is much less than a 9500P when AA is pushed, for the best you will have to spend $3-400 or more on a GFFX5900Ultra depending on which version you choose 128/256mb.

Guest Vulcho

I also recommed that you get more than a GF4200. That is what I use right now. But if you are going to buy a new one, go to pricewatch.com where you can get the best deals on any video card.Either a 9800Radeon or an FX nVidia is my suggestion.

Thanks for the quick response. I have an unopened TI4200/128mb card which I picked up for $99. My inclination is to install it, and wait about 6 - 9 months until the FX5900 line is on the shelf. My alternative is to return it in the next two weeks and possibly find a FX 5600. The 5800 is a non-starter, and I'm not impressed with the reviews of the other FX cards I've seen, considering the prices I've seen. ($249 for a FX 5600???) I know the Radeon cards are generally seen to be better performers, at least till the FX5900 enters the picture, but I'v also heard of more problems with the Radeons. I've never had a bit of trouble with several NVidia based cards and drivers.

I think you're wise to start with the '4200. There's a lot of speculation as to what's best for FS2004, but we really have to wait and see it in general use. Right now, all we see is what's been posted in the press kits. There just isn't enough data to say that any card is going to outperform another, with new ones in the pipeline every few months. Heck, I run FS2002 on a GeF/2.... Visually, when I see the Radeon screenshots, or the GeF 3 & 4 screenshots, nothing jumps out at me saying "get it, get it"...FS2002 has been historically cpu bound. I'm taking that premise into account when I start getting hw for FS2004.... My upgrade priority will be MB/CPU (a must with only an 800 MHZ cpu), then RAM, and finally, graphics. By then, today's top of the line cards will be in easy reach of my wallet....

Good thoughts...I think I'll stay with the 4200. The price is right, and there will be plenty of opportunities to upgrade after COF is out and the full FX5900 line is on the shelves.

Isn't the release date of the GFFX5900ultra very close to the release date of CoF?Kilstorm

Should be. I've seen a July 13 release date for COF. I expect that the first 5900's should be arriving about then as well. I'm assuming that there will be two or three cards in the line, and it may be a bit longer before the less expensive ones are on the shelves.

Guest Rob

Radeon 9900 / GeForce FX 5900Ultra - all on the shelf just after FS2004 - read the reviews if and when.