Sign in to follow this  
CactusDx

FS2004 Supercell Thunderstorms

Greetings!Question for those with the press beta. If the terms of the NDA allow, will you comment on whether or not the new weather engine will allow for thunderstorm tops above FL350? It would be great to see supercell thunderstorm activity as it forms along the drylines in west Texas and Oklahoma. I'd like to see volumetric thunderstorms with tops from FL350 to FL550-600.Thanks in advance if anyone cares to confirm this.:-waveMichael CollierDispatcher/SOCAmerica West Airlines

Guest Andrew

I would also like to see this. Ive seen it in one of the Airbus cockpit videos ,complete with anvil head,To see this in a simulation would realy make my day.

Guest Lobaeux4

Imagine Supercell activity over north Texas, with a working weather radar, on a flight from KPHX over VATSIM with controllers the whole way, aircraft asking for weather deviations, SIGMET activity broadcast over voice........This hobby is just getting better and better!Lobaeux

I once experienced these thunderstorms as a passenger on a flight from Indianapolis to L.A. many years ago. They were spectacular. The captain came on and announced that they topped 60,000 feet and the quantity of them we were seeing was extremely rare. he mentioned we were being "vectored (or something like that)" through the gaps. It was like flying through a bunch of tree trunks scattered all over the western plains.It is without a doubt my most memorable flight as a passenger on an airliner. If throw out a few of those "first class" drinking sprees, that is, and the time I actually got "picked-up" by a good looking airline stewardess !!! ----:-beerchugBob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

(Homer Simpson voice)Mmmmmm...Suuuupercells... :9Michael CollierDispatcher/SOCAmerica West Airlines

Hey Michael!I do remember reading that huge storms with full anvils etc are indeed going to be possible in FS2004! I'm so excited to see what this new version does for the VATSIM weather environment - we're actually going to end up with true weather situations that will require deviations off course, alternate routing etc...I need to start flying for MCA again by the way - I haven't flown since we switched from AWVA... darn real life getting in the way!RyanVZAB ARTCC

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I can't confirm this for you personally, but I agree with your thoughts. These types of storms have always been a facination for me.I am sure that it would take a lot of work to create this type of situation within Flight Simulator. It is amazing to see what they have been able to do with the next version coming out and still be in the specs they are requiring for pc's. Being that most of computer gaming is built for first person situations, simulation has come a long way over the years!Chris Willis has done an excellent job of giving more realism to the clouds in FS2002. Even the various weather generators that are out there are pretty impressive with the abilities that they have.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Hey Ryan!we're actually going to end up with true weather situations that will require deviations off course, alternate routing etc...Ahhh, I can only dream! :7 It would be great to be able to look out and see a squall line on the horizon with tops above FL450, and as we approach the line having to deviate left and right of course to pick our way through. Or, if it's bad enough, having to deviate a hundred miles or more from the orignal route to get around it. Now THAT'S some spring and summer flying! :7I need to start flying for MCA again by the way - I haven't flown since we switched from AWVA... darn real life getting in the way! Yeah, I hate it when that happens! :-lolC'ya :-waveMike CollierDispatcher/SOCAmerica West Airlines

Hi Reed, thanks for the reply!I agree, having to navigate around this type of weather can be a huge challenge in the Spring and Summer months. It does look like FS2004 will be supporting frontal systems so my biggest question is whether or not the weather engine will generate volumetric CB clouds above FL350. As we all know it's certainly not uncommon to see thunderstorm tops in the 45,000-70,000 foot range if the conditions are right. If FS2004 will in fact generate/display this type of thunderstorm then having a working weather radar will almost become a neccessity! :7:-waveMike CollierDispatcher/SOCAmerica West Airlines

Well, images will speak volumes in answering this question, I am sure. Here they are:

http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/13944.jpgAt 32,000 heading to FL350http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/13945.jpgAt FL350 - note lightening strike

This was "thunder storms" set with bottoms at 10,000 and tops at FL450. Tops answers your question, I suspect. Density, turb, and other parameters are all controllable. So, to answer your question, tops above FL350 are possible.

Guest Lobaeux4

WOW TOM! (capital letters intended for effect)I've seen many of the screenshots of FS2004 but I think it's these that have definetly sold me on it. Can't wait for July!Lobaeux

So, to answer your question, tops above FL350 are possible. That's the answer I wanted to hear! :7Shots look great by the way. We'll actually have some thunderstorm activity that will require route deviation to circumnavigate. Thanks for the input! :-waveMichael CollierDispatcher/SOCAmerica West Airlines

not to be picky (oh wait, yeah... to be picky) how dense are these CB? as you are at FL350 it doesn't seem that the CB/TCU around are very dense, rather look like "really-high altitude" stratus clouds

Michael -Check out the bottom pictures from the link below - it looks as if a Squall Line is approaching the airport - talk about your supercell. FS2004 is getting better and better everytime I see it. http://www.simflight.com/news5/modules.php...rticle&sid=3301

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com