Sign in to follow this  
Guest AAF

(unrelated) Annoying popups

HiDoes anybody no how to block these annoying popups I'm gettingadvertising some stupid software to stop these annoying popups.Nothing is worse then making your final and this popup comes on, and I have to shell out of fs to get rid of it :-madthxFloyd

Floyd,I'm sure the experts will answer soon. But in my opinion you may have spyware unadvertedly installed in your PC. Suggest something like Ad-Aware that will check your machine and clean it of all that stuff. You can find it at http://www.lavasoft.de/, and elsewhere.Regards,Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Guest Frank Betts

I tried that add aware. and I seemed to have even more pop ups. I got rid of it and it is calmed down. Hmmm go figure.

Guest Bigshot

You also need the free zonealarm to work with the adaware. You probably got some exe files on your computer that just redownload the ads after you run adaware. www.zonealarm.com . Also, check your add/remove program for unwanted things. I put both on my computer and no more popups but occasionally some alerts telling me my computer is trying to connect to some stupid site to get more popups.

Hey Floyd:I assume you have XP....if so, this problem is because Microsoft XP, by default, has built into a service called "Messenger." This service has nothing to do with the Microsoft Instant Messenger that you use to chat with people. Its purpose was to allow network admins to be able to quickly send out a popup message to clients that are on a LAN so as to communicate system events, shutdowns, etc. This concept is okay if you are on an isolated LAN, but when you are on the internet, anyone who knows your IP address can message you without you concent, these trolls have programs that go out and randomly send these messages out to thousand of IP addresses that are automatically generated (they really don't know that it's YOUR ip address, they simply send it out to as many as possible.Anyway, Microsoft's mistake was to make this service, by default, automatically TURNED ON! Unbelieveable that they would do this, and in my opinion, unacceptable. This should be considered a security flaw and a fix provided in an update. However, as far as I know this has not occurred, even though it is being abused by these internet trolls praying on peoples' unawareness of this ridiculous flaw in XP (I am not sure whether this is in 98 or 95).To disable this service, do the following:Go to the My Computer Icon, and right click and select "Manage."Expand "Services and Applications."Highlight "Services."Scroll down to the "Messenger" service and right click and select Properties.For "Startup Type" select "Disabled."For "Service Status" press "Stop."Press "OK"That will disable the service so that it never starts again! And, unless you are on a corporate network where this service is necessary, you should never enable this service.Hope this was helpfull,PatrickCary, NC

Patrick,Thank you so very much for your information. It does make a difference. I like Windows xp a lot, but I don't want it roaming freely, I want it contained and managed by myself.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

It sure was helpful! And thank you very very much for sharing this knowledge with us. My pop-ups have gone. Thank you.:-sword The Flying Knight

Guest Andrew

That helped me to, we learn someting every day.

Thanks alot PatrickFollowed your instructions and am eager to see if these messages return, just returned from an afternoon with the kids and had about 12 messages on my piled up.Thx againFloyd

THanks for the tip. Pop-ups are now gone!:-jumpy

Guest teetee

ad aware has NEVER caused me a problem. as mentioned, it may be messenger. you may consider regcleaner[http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.php] to rid the reg of any debris. i must say i never had anything other than windows update interupt a flight. tt

Guest RSmith

On the MS - XP support site, there is a page describing this issue, along with instructions on how to implement an XP "firewall" of sorts. I followed the instructions (after talking to MS Support), and it stopped 100% of the adds - May be the same type cure as above......Ron KORL