Sign in to follow this  
Guest FS_freak

FFX 738 winglets...

I have downloaded the winglet update, placed winglets_t.bmp to my 738's texture folder, edited aircraft.cfg with model = winglet and of course, the model.winglet folder to my 738 folder. When I entered the sim, the winglets showed up, but no texture on it.... I have tried to covert the bmp to DXT with DXTbmp, but still no texture on the winglet. Anything I still missing???

Guest kilo_sierra17

There was an error in the release, you have to conver the 3. bmp's that came in the update to 32 BIT textures in order for them to work, if you have FS2002 PRO, use ImageTool.

err... sorry, may be I'm abit dump...I tried to convert it to 32bit in image tool.....but still don't work...what I did was, copy the winglet_t.bmp to my 738 folder, then open it in image tool, then select 32bit in format option then save...anything still missing???Thanks alot.

Guest kilo_sierra17

Well, If you are using a plane that was not painted specifcally for winglets, and you just converted the paint to the winglet model, the winglets wont have any color, unless you have gone and painted them, so they just appear white. When I get a chance, I will show you what my paints look like that I converted to the winglet version.

Arr, kilo Thanks for your kindly help, I have figured out ##### going on now.......... the fact proved that I'm REALLY DUMP!!!The problem is that.... I forgot to change the texture = xxx value as I seperated the winglet & no winglet texture into 2 folders.....>_:(. Have to wait for next update, haha. I Enjoy fly FFX's 737s thought, they are simply COOL~!!!

Guest FS_freak

I'd like to bump this last post if I may. As a matter of fact, the new model file that comes with the winglet version does affect three animations that could be viewed fine when using preset wing views on the initial version: The rolling wheels, the rotating engine fans and the moving ailerons. On the winglet version all of these cease to work. I think the winglets make this already good looking bird even better. I just can't live without the animations especially after going through all the trouble of setting my wing views so I could see these things at work. Any chance the guys at FFX/SGA could take a look into it?Thanks once more for an excellent aircraft!Mauricio

FFX is aware of the issue--you just need to search back, and you'll find it mentioned in several threads.... I think once they have the 737B release underway, they'll be able to work out an update for this.I suggest our community in general read and research threads before raising issues. The more we nag, the more likely an issue won't get fixed. POSKY's CRJ serves as a case in point--same problem, and they won't fix it--sad, since otherwise it's the best CRJ out there. Since we didn't pay 'em, they don't have to fix it (even though it's a few moments' work, as any amateur a/c designer knows)..... Fast forward to this release, and Mike and FFX have taken some grief over an issue that won't keep people from enjoying their work during the interim period it takes them to fix and release...-John

UMM, talking about POSKY~ I hate their "flexing wing & wing lights" problem, all their A330 & 744 have these problem except 767, but they simply don't fix it, this is obviously not a techical problem, because FC's A346, IFDG's 752v2 & MJ's 747, 777 dont have this problem at all. Most disappointing is that, FC's A332 have this problem again. POSKY is very disappointing me, except the 747 classics series,767 & CRJ, I have deleted all POSKY product!!POSKY is too bad!

I didn't intend my comment to be an excuse to bash POSKY.... To their credit, like FFX, they do what they do and don't get paid for it. I love the POSKY CRJ and 747....their 747-400 is my favorite. My point is these teams are human and have their limits. We should give them wide berth, and show tolerance for their different styles, tastes, and even attitudes. If POSKY disappoints you, you may want to donate $20-30 bucks to their cause--Ariane collects something like $17 for a 737, and POSKY's 747 is just as good....

Guest FS_freak

Hey JohnCi,This is the first time I am posting to disagree with someone but I think like many, I am getting tired of seeing people like you but into any thread that intends to give freeware developers feedback about how to improve their products, and bringing up the "freeware" paradigm and the fact that we are not paying for other peoples work. There is a GIANT difference between bashing with agresiveness a freeware developer (as Mike Baumman has seen it happen way too many times) and giving out some inocent and well mannered advice on how to improve what we already consider excellent work.If it was up to people like you sooner or later every freeware developer would turn payware and we would be left without any free stuff to fly with. Believe it or not, many freeware developers appreciate feedback and that is exactly why so many freeware products have achieved quality levels that rival with most payware.Save your "not paying" speech for those who really atack the freeware developers and let us grateful and inocent users go on with our lives.Mauricio

Alright guys, lets stop this before it goes any further. Each design group has their own set of problems with their models that they inherit. Sometimes its repairable, sometimes not. For whatever reason those reasons may be. As for our problems with our releases, we're aware of all of them on every single release. But we continue to release so that we can move on and clean out our project folders.If we ceased everything to address one minor glitch each time one arises, then the delays would pile up on top of themselves as they did with the 737 classics we just released. All of these releases we've done over the last few months are projects that Erick has had couped up in his computer for well over a year. We're trying to "clean it out" and when all is out and done as they are now, we can go back and address the issues with the current releases one by one. Now that the classics are out, we'll spend time on the following;(NOT LIMITED TO ANY PARTICULAR ORDER)-MD80 fixes and model upgrade-DC9 fixes and model upgrade-MD83/87 model release (upgrades the existing MD80 to MD83/87)-A SURPRISE RELEASE-737-200 bug fixes-727-200 fixes and upgrade-737-800 bug fixes-737-300 fixes-737-400 fixes-737-500 fixesWe feel that what minor glitches were evident on our releases were minor and would not detract from someones overall assessment of our product. Everyone would still be able to enjoy our aircraft just as well without worrying about minor flaws. Flaws are repairable given time to address them one by one. We only have ONE designer and he has been working his #### off the past few months.Some of you out there have come to expect way too much from freeware developers and give nothing in return except heartache and the frequent migrane headaches. Critisism is ALWAYS welcome as long as you conduct yourself accordingly. But lately not only towards us but to other groups as well, people have resorted to outright nasty bashing to the highest degree. These bashers and other compaintants basically believe all design groups whether payware or freeware OWE THEM, it's their god given right to recieve an absolutly FLAWLESS product.Well, the day will come when MAYBE it'll come back to haunt them in the real world. You know the saying... "what comes around, goes around". So my advice to all of you is, enjoy FS for what it is... a game. Respect others efforts, respect other people here on the forums. NEVER EVER compare one groups efforts to anothers. Each group is unique in their own right and each has something different to offer as to whatever they may have felt was appropriate for the time. Just because they didn't do something EXACTLY the same as the next group makes them no less better or worse. Their efforts should be equally appreciated. Same goes for if their release has a few bugs in it. Maybe at the time, the fix couldn't be figured out. Given patience and time, eventually it may be fixed. Since freeware groups give out their work freely and expect nothing more than an acknowledgement for their efforts, NO FREEWARE GROUP IS OBLIGATED TO OFFER ANYTHING FURTHER for that release to absolutly no one. You either like it or you don't. There is a simple fix to aircraft or groups you don't like...DELETE!Thus ends another "point of view". Have a nice day! :DMike BaumannFlight FX Design GroupStewart Global Aircraft

Exactly!With that thought Mike, I think the thread should be locked....

Mauricio,You know, I did not attack you in any way, shape or form (I did not direct my advice against you, but as a general blurb since I saw at least five posts on the subject, including my own--so I can be accused of critiquing freeware myself). As a freeware developer myself, you'd be surprised about the constant nagging I receive over minor things--generally 5-6 emails a week, from the same 2, 3 pp. I have no plans on going payware, and I doubt FFX will. But I do think people need to lighten up, or at least look to see what's been discussed rather than nag over the same issues.Your attack is uncalled for..... Think of things from our perspective--that's all I am asking...

Guest SKYGOD

very well said mike.

Guest FS_freak

John and Mike,If it's acknowledgement freeware developers are after then I have more than filled their bowls. Really, I hadn't had as much fun with this so called "game" until FFX/SGA came out with their DC9-MD series and now with the 737's? I am convinced Microsoft should part profit with you guys. If it weren't for some of the freeware around I wouldn't "play" this game altogether.Regarding bugs and flaws it is perfectly understandable that freeware files may have them. If a developer tells me he has no plans to fix an issue then it is perfectly fine with me. Even better, IMHO a freeware developer who knows beforehand that a product or a complement such as the winglets for the 738, will come with a mayor bug (i.e. loss of animations), then it wouldn't hurt to advise so in the readme or file description. You probably wouldn't get as much annoying feedback.I have seen other people take up the work and come up with the fixes that the original developer had no obligation to do and just didn't feel like doing. That's the whole idea of a community, isn't it? Everybody pitches in for the welfare of the whole bunch.I only ask that we save the "not paying" issue for the real jerks. Living in a third world country I don't have the resources or even the freedom to buy payware. Being so I am even more grateful than anyone else towards freeware developers. Just remember, these great guys chose to be freeware developers on their own, nobody forced them to. This is the heart of the matter and the reason why I consider them heroes: they love the hobby to the extent of giving away their work.Bottom line is: Keep it up guys and no matter the bugs and flaws you can always count on me for acknowledgement, at least until we get Paypal down in the third world :-)Mauricio