Sign in to follow this  

Oh Boy! Now I've Done It!!

Hi folks,I am desperately seeking help from someone who has taken their CH Pro Pedals apart for repair, and successfully put them back together again. For the last week or so, I've noticed that while applying right rudder for turning or banking, my right brake would quickly engage for some unknown reason. I figured it might be a calibration issue. So I then calibrated it using FSUIPC. Same symptoms. I then checked under Windows XP controllers. Still had a slight flicker on the right brake when applying right rudder. I then thought that perhaps the rudders needed internal cleaning since they appeared to be quite dusty on the outside. I proceeded to open them up. Before I had a chance to completely remove the cover to inspect the placement of all the internal components, I heard the springs come out of place, and then a pin rolled down in front of me. I then soiled myself! ;-) Great!! "How am I ever going to put these things back together again?" I thought. I then noticed that the black wire coming out of the right rudder was severed! Aha! This may have been my problem all along? Or it may have severed when I removed the cover? I'm not quite sure at the moment. But rest assured, I am really starting to panic here now! I don't know where the black wire is supposed to connect, nor do I know how everything else is supposed to connect or look inside.Would anyone happen to have a picture or diagram of how the wires and everything else should connect inside? I recall someone posting on here a while back who had problems with their USB Pro Pedals, and were brave enough to pull them apart and fix them. I am pretty sure this person said that the black wire was severed on their pedals also.If anyone would be so kind as to lend a helping hand in putting my Pro Pedals back together again, I would be ever so greatful! I'm sure that if Humpty Dumpty could be put back together, my dear old pedals may very well see the light of day again! ;-)Thanks in advance,Gord "Grounded in Newfoundland" NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Klytus: "Who are you?"Flash: "Flash Gordon, quarterback, New York Jets." :-hah

Here is a pic to give you an idea of the situation I am in. You will notice the severed black wire on the left-hand side of the image (top and bottom half actually). I'm thinking now that this must connect to the other piece of black wire which would make it one long complete wire. However, as for how the rest goes in place, I am at a loss. HELP!!!!Thanks,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Hi GordI had the same problem with the toe brake wire getting pinched,must be a design flaw with the pedals. As far as putting it back togetherits pretty hard to explain in words but it isn't too bad just be patient and gentle with it. Its easy to get frustrated and damage more wiring (which is very delicate) if you still can't get it put back together email me at floyd@stollco.com and we can see what we can do for ya AFloydCYPK

Guest RiddlePilot

Thank goodness for me that you posted that picture (not so thank goodness for you though). I was about to take mine apart to clean them (3 years and a dusty room), but I think I'll hold off.

I have successfully disassembled and re-assembled the pedals in the last month. They go together quite logically, the springs go on the standoffs at the bottom, the big grey thing hooks over the pedal runners and the little grey thing sits in the middle with the pin in it and the grey arm with the pot attached to it. (hard to explain really)When you have it all together be careful not to overtighten the screws as they affect how easily the pedals will move.Hope this helps--qnh

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I had exactly the same problem with my (2 month old) ch Pro USB pedals. The black wire is daisy-chained across the pot for the rudder axis.Its pretty self evident how it all goes together - just be careful when splitting the base apart not to tug the wires to the pots - they are only just long enough..I was bracing myself for a spring-powered shower of tiny plastic cogs to spoil my day but that won`t happen - they are v simple inside..Good luckRottenlungs

Thanks for all your help guys! I was up for quite a while last night sizing up the situation, and I managed to figure out how everything goes back in place thanks to qnh's explanation. However, I am now wondering what the best course of action is for repairing the servered wire. Should I simply twist the wire together and then tape it using electric tape? Or should I solder the wire together? (if the wire can be soldered?) Since it was mentioned that there is just enough wire to make it from one end to the other, I really have to be carefull not to mess this up or else I have to go wire hunting. And then the fun will begin!How would you guys repair the wire?Thanks again!

Hi GordIf you have the capability to solder the wire, thats always the way to go :-)Floyd

As Floyd says, solder it.If the wire is short then find some similar sized wire and solder that between the two broken ends; and of course wrap with insulation tape.Try to route the wire the same way as it originally went to avoid it catching on anything.Best of luck.

Thanks again guys! I'll give it a go.Regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)