Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

BUILDING YOUR HANGAR

Hello gang:I was just wondering......Every day, excelent files are put up by the excelent builders and painters; and every day I'm checking what's new, checking if those excelent 737's are coming, if those great A319's are up, etc., etc., etc. And of course, evry day I'm downloading stuff.Then comes the part, where I have to install....it takes me hours...of course I'm enjoying that. And the next day, the same, and the same, and the same. So by the end of the week I find myself with about 2 hours of flying and about 8 installing stuff; and I find it is a never ending story...The result is a hangar of about "a lot of planes" which any way I will never fly. So my precise question is to you gang.....What criteria do you use to building up your hangar:1. Favorite airlines2. Favorite aircraft3. Places you've visited and as a result the airlines and aircraft that fly there..???What is it??? How many aircraft do you guys have????I am really going bananas......Thanks for you commentsDaniel

I try to just keep the highest quality GA aircraft and thats about it. I fly mostly single and twin prop aircraft, and if I dont fly a particular plane often, as in less than once a month, then its gone from my hard drive. One of my favorite aircraft is the Cessna 421 from Flight1, among a few others. I do have the FFX 737-800, MelJet 747 and 777 when I feel like doing heavy flying/flying long distances, but the rest of my hangar is mostly occupied by really high quality GA aircraft. I probably only have about 15 or so planes (not including the defaults). I'll pick up most new prop aircraft that are upload to try them out. If I dont really like them (flight model, visual model, bugs, etc), theyre gone immediately. Next step is to take a short cross country in them to get a feel for them. If that goes well, then I'll keep them for a while. Hope this helps.

I am bad, I like variety and trying out all kinds of aircraft. i generally fly helis and GA (mostly payware) but like going low and slow with vintage and ocasionally taking up the big iron. I use a hanger manager called ACMan http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm It is a simple program that lets you create hangers and transfers aircraft from them to the aircraft folder in a second. I have "hangers" for helicopters, AI, Big Iron, vintage, payware, military (preWW2 and post), bush planes, GA, one for each of my VAs, custom (mixed panels, airfiles, special mods or paint) and experimental. Last time I checked it was around 440 aircraft with a big chunk AI and helis. I go and clean it out ever so often (plus a gauge cleaner). I use the same utility for CFS2 and have about 300 for it grouped by nationality. Good thing I have 2 HDs! LOL Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Captain Barfbag

Most of mine are there for AI. Lately I've restrained myself to Aardvarks and PAI planes. (Warning - if you upgrade from dial-up to cable internet, you will find yourself with too many downloads.)

Guest ba747heavy

>Most of mine are there for AI. Lately I've restrained myself>to Aardvarks and PAI planes. (Warning - if you upgrade from>dial-up to cable internet, you will find yourself with too>many downloads.):-lolI have had this problem myself when I upgraded 2 years ago ;-)I have built my hanger completely to compliment my payware Airliner fleet. I have one GA plane(the B33), and I have a couple of small freeware planes, the Dash 8 from Frolov, and the ERJ panel from Grabrowski(I can never spell that name, sorry!) To support my payware fleet I have the POSKY 763 for 767 PIC, 744 from Meljet for my PSS 744 panel, and the A320 v1 from PA for the PSS A320 panel(I refuse to buy liveries from PSS, so I use PA instead ;-))

Guest enave

I used to download a lot of aircraft, but I found that I enjoy the simulator a lot more when I fly one aircraft all the time. In my opinion the point of a flight simulator isn't to experience a lot of different planes, it's to understand and master the subtle characteristics of one or two.I suggest you pick a general aviation propeller-driven aircraft and a small airfield and do touch and go's all day. Do it until you know the procedures for this airplane by heart. Do it until you know the area you're flying in by heart. Do it during the day and at night, and do it in all weather conditions. After all that, you can move on to cross country flights. When you eventually move on to jets you can repeat this procedure and you'll find you have a much greater appreciation for them.As an example of what I mean, pick one of Martin Short's Aero Commanders and start at Miegs Field. Take off heading north and start a right turn to 180 when you reach 1500'. Continue to climb to 3500' and when you reach the south shore of the lake start slowing down in preparation to land. Make another 180 right turn and come in to land. Do this until you are very proficient - until you know the correct approach speeds and can look out the window of the aircraft and know when to make your turns.I think that if you'll follow my advice for one week you'll look back on it as time well-spent and find that you've enjoyed yourself more than you did when you spent a lot of time downloading aircraft only to fly them around a very few times.I used to download all the latest jumbo jets and fly them around the world, but I find it a lot more fun to learn an aircraft and learn an airport.

I'm with you!! - I have dozens of aircraft that I have never flown!! At least, it helps me to identify aircraft at airports in real life!! :)But I have sworn to myself that when I get FS2004, I will ONLY download aircraft that come with strong recommendations from this forum or have been reviewed in some detail - and even then I will only download 1 each week and give it a good tryout for the rest of the week!! I have been downloading interesting looking aircraft - installing them and then not even looking at them!!I am also considering only using payware for a while --I have never purchased a payware a/c yet. I know that there are MANY absolutely excellent freeware a/c -- but it seems to me that they nearly all have some deficiency which spoils them for me. Mind you -- I am not complaining as what is produced by the freeware designers is way beyond me!! Barry

I fly mostly short and medium haul flights (nothing over 1,900 miles) and fly in Europe and North America. When I download planes I look for North American and European carriers. I also download almost any business jet I see.I used to fly long haul stuff once a week, but now Im lucky if I fly a long haul route once a month. I had alot of Meljets 777-200's and POSKYs 747-400's, but I been deleting them and now I only have 2 777-200's and 2 747-400's in my hanger.