Sign in to follow this  

Help! Subcommander in trouble!

Hi everyone - I come recommended from the Sub Command Forum at subsim.com...they said you're all nice peopleAnyways, I've got a real problem with framerates in FS2002 - I recently had the comp upgraded (P4 2.0 Gig, 768 Ram, top of teh line Nvidea card, Win XP etc...It's been great, pushing 30 plus FPS!Except now, for some reason, the FR will go down to 5 or 6 with out warning, and that's without spooling around or anything like that, it happens every 20 seconds or so...I tried Task Manager on XP, but it immediately minimises and I haven't been able to punch it up to delete unnecessary programs...Dowloaded enditall, but I don't understand how to use it...Could it be a virus which slows down games???Any ideas guys, I'm really stuck here as to why my FR's are stuttery for some reason...

Guest ba747heavy

End it all is easy to use. Just run it, and then choose 'kill all' from the menu. This will close everything out.Just for a little clarification, I am wondering if you have 30 fps, then 5, and then 30 fps again? Or is it 30 fps and then it drops to 5 fps and stays there?

Thanks for your speedy reply BA747 (nice handle BTW!)Yup, my FRs go from 30 to 5 then 30 again...Strange you ask though - have you had the same problem...I did see the "Kill All" button on enditall - but doesn't that make Windows XP unstable? Thanks again:)

Guest ba747heavy

>Thanks for your speedy reply BA747 (nice handle BTW!)Thanks! I like it ;-)>Yup, my FRs go from 30 to 5 then 30 again...Strange you ask>though - have you had the same problem...I have, but not with 30 fps, more like 23 - 5 - 23...Not sure if you have an onboard sound card, but if you do, then this ought to apply to you :)Most ppl have complained of severe fps fluxuations based on the fact that they have onboard audio. The obvious solution is to get rid of the onboard audio, and get a dedicated sound card. I hate to say it, but there is nothing you can do about your FPS problems if you have an onboard sound card. :(If you do not have an onboard sound card, lemme know and maybe I can gin up more ideas to help you out (I would try ginning up more ideas now but it is 1:07 AM here....:D)>I did see the "Kill All" button on enditall - but doesn't that>make Windows XP unstable? Nah, end it all won't kill anything that ought to stay awake :)>Thanks again:)No problem!

Guest vas_yan

There is one thing you can do about the internal sound card. You can enter the bios and disable it. Regards,

Guest ba747heavy

>There is one thing you can do about the internal sound card.>You can enter the bios and disable it. >>Regards,Well yes, but that gets rid of your sound altogether. That is a not a good thing unless you have a normal sound card that you are putting in.

It's a good experiment though to confirm this is the culprit...

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest ba747heavy

>It's a good experiment though to confirm this is the>culprit...It is that :) I admit I hadn't thought of testing that way before.

Thanks guys - yup, someone at the SubCommand forum suggested the sound BIOS too...I don't think I have a dedicated sound card, I'm pretty sure it comes through the video card (it's a pretty swanky Nvidea card, can't remember the type off teh top of my head)Stragnge though, when I first had the comp upgraded, I didn't get the fluctuations...BA747 - what did you do when your FRs went 23-5-23? It sounds like my problem...Thanks for all your help BTW! :)

Guest ba747heavy

>Thanks guys - yup, someone at the SubCommand forum suggested>the sound BIOS too...>>I don't think I have a dedicated sound card, I'm pretty sure>it comes through the video card (it's a pretty swanky Nvidea>card, can't remember the type off teh top of my head)Easy way to check your assumption. Trace the big ole monitor cable to the back of your computer. And then trace the speaker line to the back of the computer. If they go to the same card/area, then yes, you have sound on your videocard. But, honestly, I have never heard of audio mixed with video before...but what do I know :)If you find that your audio and video go to two different places, then there is one more easy check to see if you have onboard audio. Look at the audio connectors, are they mounted horizontally or vertically? (Line in, line out, mic etc) Vertically(up and down, I am really tired so I am making sure I am clear by being redundant ;-)), then odds are you have onboard audio.Also, if you pull the side of your case off and have a look at your motherboard, you might be able to see that yes your audio connectors are on a PCI card(large white slot) <-- Dedicated Soundcard, or are soldered right on the motherboard <--Onboard Audio.>Stragnge though, when I first had the comp upgraded, I didn't>get the fluctuations...Mine took a while to manifest itself too.>BA747 - what did you do when your FRs went 23-5-23? It sounds>like my problem...I got a new soundcard ;-) I got rid of my CMedia audio onboard sound and salvaged an old Soundblaster LIVE! from my dads old computer.I will be honest with you, I think your problem is the fact that you have an onboard sound 'card'(not a proper term, as there is no card per se, more like connectors on the mobo) FS2k2 does not like onboard audio typically, so that means your only solution is to get a dedicated sound card, IMO. I would hope some more gurus step in and back me up on this before you run out and spend money to cure this problem ;-)>Thanks for all your help BTW! :)No problem man, don't mention it :)

thanks very much BA - I'll give that a go - time to start saving! :)