Sign in to follow this  
John_Tavendale

jagged edges and shimmering

Hi I have what i consider good frame rates ,set at 30 and getting 12 to 15 at busy airports ,all ai planes installed,can set to 50 or 60 with no problems.I get alot of shimmering on the runways and the aircraft have jagged edges also planes are jerky in flight, i think this should not be happening with my computer, i set everything to default but no improvement.Can someone please give advice on how to get it running smoothly.i am using the 31.80 driver winxp homeseagate hard drives 80 gig and 40 gig 7.200rpm,not partitionedgeforce4 ti4400 128mb15 "lcd monitor main2 additional 17" monitors [3 monitor setup]AMD CPU XP2000EPOS MAINBOARD 8K3A AMD KT333 DDR333 6PCI,SND2-256MB,DDR RAM,PC210 HYUNDAI JUST ADDED 512 MB DDR RAM 2700Are these rams compatable?if so how can i tell if the ram is being distributed correctly ,because i saw no significante change after doubling my ramThanks for any help Don

Guest gasebah

Hi,there is only one possibility to get rid of the jagged edges and (!) the shimmering. Turn up your FSAA settings. However beware as with your card it will give you a heavy frame rate hit. To see a reasonable improvement in the shimmering you have to set FSAA at least to 4x.PC2700 is ok fr ur board.Alex

Thanks for your replies,John and AlexI am downloading new drivers 44.03You both mention turning up FSAA to 4x how do i do this.?I thought it might refer to anti aliasing but find this is a box to to tickThanks Don

hi John,what type of system are you running, and the size of your monitor?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Thanks John That fixed it ,smoothest i have ever had it ,frame rate not affectedThanks to all Don

Guest Jack

John,I'm running a Leadtek G4 ti4800 on Win98 with DX8.1. Would you suggest changing to DX9 and 44.03 drivers?I'm also having shimmers & jaggies, particularly in windowed mode.Any light you can shed will be much appreciated.JackD

Guest Jack

John,Thanks for the reply! I've been leery of running DX9 with Win98 because of inability to uninstall if it causes problems. Guess it's time to bite the bullet. I'll probably have to go to XP when COF comes out, anyway. Ah, Progress!Now, at least, if I have the slightest problem I can point a finger and issue "Yeah, but John said. . .". :~))Thanks for the help!JackD

Guest Jack

John,That's encouraging! The 'Road to Hell' is paved (at least my lane is)with "Well, it shouldn't". Oooh. . .did I mention I've never changed drivers before? Whee! A brand new learning opportunity!I used to think that by the time I reached old age I'd have all the answers. . .instead I'm still learning the blankety-blank questions!Thanks for the hand-holding, John. Here goes nothing!JackD