Sign in to follow this  
Mudhendriver

Thrust Reverse in FS9

I've found selecting reverse thrust (F2) is a hit or miss proposition. I have CH Pro Throttle and registered version of FSUIPC for FS9. There is no specific key map in FSUIPC for thrust reverse (F2), so I must assign a key (F2) to a button on the throttle. However, in many aircraft I select the button following touchdown and above 80kts and in most cases, get no reverse thrust action. I'd appreciate it if someone has figured out how to select thrust reverse (from a throttle button vice hitting F2) with FSUIPC loaded. Thanks.R.Perry

There is no specific key map in FSUIPC for thrust reverse
But there is an individual controller section for Separate Reversers. That's much better!There is also another way. In your FSUIPC window go to Axis settings and select your reverse lever(s) (I'm using the middle two) assigning them to F2. There is selection of range in which you want the reversers to be active.Sorry for any not entirely correct names. I'm obviously out of FSUIPC now.Hope that helps.

If you are assigning the F2 key to a joystick button, make sure the repeat slider on the right hand side is fully to the right.Russell.

You do have to get the throttle back to zero or the F2 command gets cancelled as it (the sim) reads any positive throttle as you cancelling the reverse thrust, so make sure your throttle really goes to zero thrust when you back it off.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Stupid question time, are you aware not all airplanes have thrust reverse?Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

If your throttle has the jitters so you don't stay at idle try turning on the noise filter in FSUIPC.In the game controller calibration I place the throttle position slightly above bottom when I calibrate the idle. This takes care of the play in the throttle controller that can cause the controller output to be slightly off at times. You can also do this in FSUIPC axis calibration for the throttle.Some people hit the f1 key before f2. I think there is a way in a full FSUIPC to run a macro and assign it to a button but I don't know how you would only get f2 repeating without repeaating f1 within the same macro. You could in FS assign a button to f1 (no repeat) and another to f2 (repeating).

There is a better way and it can be done using the thrust levers by bring them back to the full detent to engage reverse thrusters. I have programmed it using FSUIPC by following this tutorial by John Cook.http://www.aeroworx.com/smf/index.php?topic=2228.0The first topic should contain the tutorial link. I now use Saitek TQ's (2 of them) for my planes that have the engine controls on the right hand side instead of the CH TQ. I placed the CH one on the left hand side for those planes where it is left hand controled.If the link won't respond I just GOOGLEd "Configuring FSUIPC" and it was the first one in the GOOGLE search.I hope this helps you out.Jim D.

In some planes...you must hit F2 twice to get the effect...the first time opens up the back of the engines, the 2nd time actually spools them up.

Each time the F2 key (or assigned button) is activated it increases reverse thrust, first with reverse idle or low thrust and then increasing with each keystroke, button press, or autorepeat of either.One test of throttle calibration is to hit F1 (default idle) and then start the f2 sequence. If it works all the time, then your throttle idle (0 thrust) is not consistent if you can't get reverse thrust to start all the time.On aircraft capable of it if you are doing on autoland with automatic throttle on and you can engage reverse after solid ground contact before you touch your throttle lever, this might be another clue as to throttle calibration errors.I also pop up the throttle/power quadrant and observe the levers moving while moving the throttle control up and down to bottom to see if they return in the window to idle following the hand movements.

In some planes...you must hit F2 twice to get the effect...the first time opens up the back of the engines, the 2nd time actually spools them up.

Guest napamule

Joe: '..are you aware not all airplanes have thrust reverse?'. (I agree and 2nd the motion).And some that are SUPPOSED to have rev thrust do no work right due to cfg and/or air file entries being missing or wrong.Chuck BNapamule

I use my Saitek Pro Throttle Quad levers as throttles, calibrate FSUIPC so the lowest value is at the top of the detent. Then goto FSUIPC 'button', pull the lever back and it should generate a button pressed. Program this with 'Throttle decr' and press the hold tick mark. Works like a charm in everythin from the PMDG MD11 to the DF 727

Copy all..thanks for the vectors. As a test platform, I've been using Wilco Airbus 319 (which does have reversers :( ), calibrated CH throttles, and assigned F2 to throttle button (key press not held, command repeated after button released), within parameters at touchdown (@140kts, Idle power). I will get full deployment (MREV indicated on EFIS), but they don't stay deployed--I hit F1, then F2, and they will stay deployed only by hitting the F2 key repeatedly.The setup I had was working fine with WinXP 32 bit. I purchased a new rig a couple months ago with Vista Ultimate 64-bit...tried the same setup and get the issue above--could it be a driver issue?RP

The following was posted on another site (Flightsim). I'm not using Vista so I can't verify. I put it here for information only.Jim D."In addition to the above be aware that if you're using Vista as your operating system it may be preventing you from modifying the FS9.cfg file. When you set the assignments this file is written with these changes, and if Vista prevents the file modification they won't "stick" ".Best wishes,Alastair __________________AOPA #04634067

Hi All

I have lost the connexion between F2 and the thrust reversers on my PMDG a/c.

If I move the levers physically the thrust reversers work OK......but they wont work from the F2 key

How do I restore the config in FS/FSUIPC  ?

Advice gratefully received

David Ireland 

Just seen how to do it elsewhere.........easy when you know how !