Sign in to follow this  

First flight with Alert!! Lite (and to have three engin...

I decided to try out Alert!! Lite to make my flights a little more interesting. I got exactly that, and more.Here I am in a Douglas DC-6B, delivering cargo to Bagdad Intl. After 9 hours of flying I'm on final approach for runway 33R. The runway is about 20 seconds in front of me, and I'm wondering whether or not Alert!! is actually functioning. Sofar I didn't have any failures and except for a little bit of turbulence it was a smooth ride. Suddenly I hear a bang, following with weird noises from an engine. Since I didn't expect anything to go wrong at this point anymore it gave me quite a fright.Instead of only one engine, three out of four engines had blown up, and I had a hard time trying to make for the runway. I was on final approach, quite low and slow. I put full power on the remaining engine#3. Although I knew that I had to do something about the destroyed engines I just didn't have the time to bother with that (now a co-pilot would be handy). The runway lights seemed to be moving up, and my airspeed was going down. I struggled to keep the plane on a glidepath towards the runway, but as the airspeed went towards stall speed the plane became difficult to handle. I became angry and thought how unfair the whole thing was, getting the worst at the worst possible moment. And still my airspeed was dropping, and I realised that I wasn't going to make it...After the crash I wondered what a real pilot would've done in this case. Would a experienced pilot have a chance of getting the plane down safely?I have aother question: Is it in real life possible that three out of four engines suddenly blow up? I can understand that one damaged engine may take out another, but three? Engine #1, #2 and #4 all blew up, while #3 kept running. Is this realistic?Anyway it was exciting and after the shock wears of I may actually decide to purchase Alert!! Pro, even though I got the feeling that the whole of Murphy's Law had turned against me.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've been using Alert Lite too with my DF Archer on a cross-country. I've had my vaccuum pump go out, my autopilot die twice, my fuel line start draining (so both tanks emptied out) over Yellowstone with no airport nearby but no engine failures yet. Three out of four does seem a bit of a stretch but overall I've been pretty happy with the added excitement it adds.