Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rafair7643

The first ever complaint?!

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Dear Sirs,As part of the Hellas Scenery Team I would like to express my strong dissatisfaction regarding the rejection of our latest scenery release from the AVSIM library, and for reasons that do not even have base.At around 1600 AthensLT (1400UTC), I have successfully uploaded the HSP LGKO v1.zip file onto AVSIM library following the instructions that we follow for the past 6 years, and got the upload number 179292.Waiting for the upload to appear in the new uploads page, we have updated our site, announced the release of the scenery on our newgroups lists, and everyone is waiting to download the new scenery.Little do they know that they will not be able to, at least not before Christmas as intended.I have received an email from Mr Stewart Pearson, that this upload has been rejected because :QuoteYou have forgotten to include a text file with your email address in the zip file. This is essential as you should be able to provide support to members who download your work. It is also a stated requirement on the upload guidelines page, as follows; "Your uploaded zip archive must contain a '.txt' (plain text) file, containing easy to understand installation instructions, your full name (no alias names allowed), and your email address in order to provide technical support to all who download your file, plus any other important information. Note: Failure to provide the above information will result in your file being deleted without notice." NOTE: You will need to enter a proper author's name. The current entry is not acceptable. Should you wish to use a group name, then at least one author's name must also be included.Unquote.As I already mentioned to Mr Pearson, we have already uploaded numerous of our releases in exactly the same way.My mistake in the replay email was that they were not 4, but 18 files actually..http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchI will not re-write my reply here, as it must have been already received by the appropriate receiptients, but I would like to publicly complaint about this rejection.I am attaching the readme.txt file included in the zip so you can draw your own conclusions.Merry ChristmasGeorge DorkofikisAthens, HellasOn behalf of Hellas Scenery Team

Guest Matt Johnson

George,While it is apparent that names of members of the group are indeed listed in the README, there are still no email contact details.We require this as a condition of uploading files to the Library, and you are extremely fortunate that other files which may not have contained suitable email contact details were approved for download.Once you resubmit the file, including an email contact address in the README, I am sure it will be approved.Your "complaint" is noted, however, Stewart has cited the rules stated very clearly on the upload conditions page -- as you have not followed them, you received the email informing you so.Best regards,Matt

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Thank you for your reply.The "complaint" is meant in good will in order to improve procedures that may require fine tuning.For example, when posting as a group with no individual to stand-out of the team, but all as equal. We can't post 15 or 20 names in the Author's line, that's for sure.As for the email, you are right, I have already added it in the readme file and re-uploaded the zip. However, we did provide our site and support is available through there.Again, something could be done in this re-upload case too.I had to re-upload a whole 7Mb file for just one line of text (15bytes?)That's a horrible waste of bandwidth for such a small change.You could move the file to an area where we could edit it.Imagine this upload being a 60Mb Mesh terrain! Just an idea.Thank you for your cooperation.Merry ChristmasGeorge DorkofikisAthens, Hellas

Guest Rafair7643

Hi there,I know some folks are concerned about putting email addresses because of spam etc. If I can just put a wee suggestion here.Type your email address as follows;StewartPearson2 (at) hotmail (dot) comOr something similar. As long as each person is able to discern what the actual email address is, then the manner of presentation is immaterial.Oh and for those of you so minded, that is my hotmail address, and I haven't been spammed out since presenting it that way. (so it works!!)Merry Christmas one and allStewart