Sign in to follow this  

Ground Roll Friction

Do real planes roll like the tires are under inflated?Is there a way to make the FS2k2pro planes roll better? Landing on a solid runway shouldn't feel like you're off-road in the mud.Is there someone who can tell me if there's a fix for this problem?

I don't seem to have this problem landing in FS.... If I bring in a 737 and just cut the thrust, I'll coast to the other end of the runway quite easily--even long runways like Sky Harbor.To get rolling, I don't know. I've flown a lot in real jets, and from a standstill, the pilots sound like they have to apply a fair bit of thrust to get moving. Again, this is true in FS....but once I'm moving, I can usually keep moving with only 15-20 pct thrust... So I'm not sure what the problem is that needs fixing--ground roll could be modelled better, but it doesn't seem far off to me.-John

Thanks for the input. I realize it takes a good amount of thrust to get rolling from a dead stop.Guess I'll have to do some more testing. :)

This subject have been beaten to death. You can use search to find hundreds of posts about it.I don't think there is problem with landing but with moving forward from dead stop - yes there is. And there is no easy fix for it though someone claims to have tweaked it enough to produce satisfactory results.Michael J.

I tried the search before posting, but wasn't sure just how to word it. I tried something like "ground roll friction."Came up empty.So am I correct that there is somewhat of a problem with the ground roll? Do others notice this also?

>So am I correct that there is somewhat of a problem with the>ground roll? >>Do others notice this also?Apparently in regard to friction and amount of throttle needed to begin rolling. Some airport hard surfaces will appear to work like a "dirt" surface, but not the majority.As to the beginning of the ground roll, I look at it a different way; as in what does it take to make this aircraft do what I need it to do? While some apparently are looking at power percentages or amount of actual throttle movement......... I just throttle up until rolling and then throttle back. Kind of like testing an "experimental" for the first time & no published data.L.Adamson

Guest Thomas K

Ground friction is definitely too high. For example jets like A330 and 777, which has huge engines, begin rolling forward with very little power. When lightly loaded, they'll roll forward when brakes are released with no added thrust. Continuous thrust isn't needed to keep the airplane moving except under exceptional circumstances. In fact, speed will continue to build up with idle thrust and the pilot often has to apply brakes to prevent the aircraft from going too fast on idle thrust alone. The pilot taxiing will usually allow the aircraft slowly creep to to 30 knots and then apply brakes to slow it down to 15-20 knots and then let it accelerate to 30 knots again. (on long straights) A good experiment to demonstrate the overly high ground friction in MSFS is to taxi forward and then shut down both engines. The moment that you shut down the engines, you'll find that the aircraft stops dead on the spot like there's super glue on the taxiway. TK

Thats right. Even in the dc-10 it will take some thrust to get moving. This is usualy because of the flat spot on the tires created by the plane sitting static for long periods. You also get the takeoff warning horn at high gross wieghts while trying to get her to move. But once she starts rolling idle thrust or a tad more will keep her moving.In the winter at cold places you can even feel the flat spots as the plane starts roll initaily