Sign in to follow this  
ZX-3

X-Plane 9 X Will not run

HiI am unable to run the newest version of XPlane-9 (9.3.1)It takes nearly two hours to load the first disk and when I try to run it, I get some system errors that says my video card is not a Open GL type. I have a ATI Radion 9800 Pro 128 Mb. The cpu is a P-4 2.8 and I have 1 gig of DDR400 memory.I have been talking to X-Plane cust service and they cannot figure this out either.Any ideas before sending back the software?TerryPS: Bought it at Wal-mart so hope it is a good copy.PPS: MS FS 9 and FSX both run well on my computer. 20=50 plus FPS

It takes nearly two hours to load the first disk and when I try to run it, I get some system errors that says my video card is not a Open GL type. I have a ATI Radion 9800 Pro 128 Mb. The cpu is a P-4 2.8 and I have 1 gig of DDR400 memory.
It could be a driver issue. You could try uninstalling your video card drivers and reinstalling latest ones ( find them at www.ati.com )Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

What OS are you on? Vista uses 1 gig by itself (1.5 for 64 bit) and Win XP uses 512 by it self...It sounds like a driver issue though, ATI has been notorious for crappy OpenGL support. Try updating your drivers.

Thanks for the response and ideas.My O/S is Windows XP-Pro with all of the current updates.The video drivers are as follows as per instructions directly from the ATI driver support site.Version 9.3.1 dated 2/3/09 yet it shows version 8.582.0 when I look at the driver info under the video card info section.Any customers using a combination of a ATI Radeon

Hi Terry.A couple of things you may want to try:1-Run DXDIAG and see if you get any Errors?2-Run 3DMark whatever version you have, and see if you get an error? If any of the above get Errors try:3-Reinstall the Video driver that you have after you use a Drive cleaner for your OS, in Safe mode, F8.. then Run the Install. ATI Manager / CCC, can be misleading, you have to look at Catalyst version, if given, not Driver Pack. Ver. TV

Thanks for the response and ideas.My O/S is Windows XP-Pro with all of the current updates.The video drivers are as follows as per instructions directly from the ATI driver support site.Version 9.3.1 dated 2/3/09 yet it shows version 8.582.0 when I look at the driver info under the video card info section.Any customers using a combination of a ATI Radeon

Hi Terry,I believe X-Plane V9.31 requires a minimum of shader 2 hardware support support in the Vid card. If I remember correctly the 9800 only supports shader 1 in hardware. Check the X-Plane documentation and/or the website to see if it still supports the 9800 series cards.EditJust had a quick look and can't find anything on shader requirements or supported vid cards. So, probably talking through a hole in my hat.
Thanks for the suggestions.I have run all of the dxdiag and passed with flying colors. Also when I update/reload drivers I completely remove all of the old ATI ones and install the new onesSounds like I might have a video card that is just too old to run this new game. I take it is a new game that has not been around for very long.Again thanks for the help.Terry