Sign in to follow this  
Guest SKYGOD

FFX 737 and Ariane 737

Guest Lobaeux4

Just a quick question. How does the new FFX 737 measure up against the Ariane model? I'm dl'ding the FFX now, just curious as to what you guys think of the two.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Comparing Freeware to Commercial products is like comparing aples to oranges, and should be avoided.I do not have, or even going to pay, for a commercial aircraft without a proper panel.IMHO it's up to each person to decide which is best for his/her needs.George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

I've been equally pleased with both my freeware downloads and my payware aircraft. I own the Ariane 734 and BBJ (among other payware aircraft), and have been pleased with and enjoy them both.

I have both....The wing view in the Ariane model is more realistic--the flap canoes reflect the shape of the real thing, as an example. They aren't as close in the FFX model--a bit too flat on top, not as rounded as they should be... And that's nitpicking... Zoom away from the aircraft to a distance from which most screenshots are taken, and I give the nod to FFX. That's why I said my comment regarding the wing was picky.... As already said, Ariane's model doesn't include a panel. All both models have are their visuals. FFX has done a great job... As for FDE's, I don't dare comment, having never been in command of a real 737... If the FFX 737 were out when I purchased the Ariane model, I don't think I would have bought it--unless Ariane had allowed for free uploads of repaints for any livery, then I'd have still gone with it. Ariane can still sell their model, but the only way they can compete now is to open up their product for all repaint uploads... I think that's a fair evaluation of both--and I hope others hold off on any critique of Ariane for any other reason. Really wouldn't serve any purpose now that the FFX model is out....

Well said George. You really can't compare payware to freeware in every case. Sure there are some truly disastrous payware releases (all catagories included here) that I wouldn't have even bothered to download if it was free. But you can't look at all the features and start comparing.If you compared by features alone and overall cosmetics of a product, then in most cases payware would win hands down. You need to seperate the 2 into their appropriate classes and only compare payware to payware and freeware to freeware.I myself have Ariane's releases (since FS2000 versions) and am very pleased with the overall product. As for accuracy and detail, my vote goes to Ariane... but it's payware. It should be more accurate and detailed. As for our releases comparing them to other current freeware releases of the same aircraft, I choose ours. Not because I work for them, because in my honest opinion I believe we made an effort to take ours just a half a step above the others. We don't compete with other groups or designers. We (and other design groups)make the best that we can with the knowledge and abilities we pocees at the time. Nothing more, nothing less.Mike BaumannFlight FX Design GroupStewart Global Aircraft

Mike, I admire you for being humble as you are over your release. I have to agree--the Ariane model really sticks to fine detail. But your last thought...."We (and other design groups)make the best that we can with the knowledge and abilities we pocees at the time. Nothing more, nothing less"is probably the understatement of the year. With all five 737 releases, and the MD-8x/DC-9, I think you've helped bring a high level of quality into our hobby. And, your teams listen. I emailed Erick regarding a subtle issue I noticed in the early release shots--and I suspect I was the only one who noticed, and he corrected it. That work probably wasn't needed. But such is the level you bring to freeware....Thanks for all your work.... I'm happy I have both models....

Guest Daniel Pimentel

From a painter's point of view FFX is WAY more user-friendly than Ariane... I think it all depends on what you want. Both models have strengths, and weaknesses. I like em both.Cheers,http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12447.jpgMember of the [a href=http://ffg.avsim.net" target="_blank]Freeware Flight Group [/a]

Guest SKYGOD

i agree with that danny :)